BETAQDAVE

Coronavirus effects

The virus is spreading very slowly here in Oz and we have so far had very few deaths.  Our main problem (apart form idiots panic shopping) is that a lot of people just don't take this seriously.  The Government is bringing in more and more draconian shutdown and isolation regulations mainly because people simply won't abide by the advisories on crowd limitations and social distancing!

John

I was able  to get out for a short while  today  just to get some essential  supplies  - came back with  a pack of loo roll  and  a couple of other things  so it wasn't all bad,   the  chemist was closed  so no good  getting a mask  but to be honest they are all needed by the hospitals, I kept my distance from people  and had two pairs of throw away gloves on, when I got home I binned them straight away  and the item I brought were left on the side and wont be touched for a  couple of days  to let anything  that could have been infected  time to die off,   people in my area  seemed to be distancing them selves  giving each a good  6 feet  distance apart.

Common sense is the key  and  not having Any direct contact  skin to skin  or within  breathing range   (oh also turning away quickly should someone sneeze).

My trouble is I panic  its just how I am.

OC. 

2 hours ago, Jim Lad said:

The virus is spreading very slowly here in Oz and we have so far had very few deaths.

My stepson in WA  just lost his job due to Covid-19.  He'd been with a firm that sets up staging and sound gear for music festivals etc.  Not much call for that in Oz or anywhere else right now.  Rather worried for him - young(ish) and fit, but immune system could let him down.

Went out this morning to my local pharmacy/chemist for some vitamins and allergy medication. Some US pharmacies are more like mini markets with a lot of non medical "stuff". Anyway, this one was rationing certain items, like wipes and toilet paper.

As the last few gentlemen have said, we have good reasons to be scared. But, we have some very fine minds across the globe working on the problems. Batten down the hatches, shelter in place, work on your ships and models. Tune out the fear-mongering talking heads and listen to/follow what the competent medical authorities in your countries are saying.  Be smart and be careful out there, you hear. We'll get through this goat rope.;)

2 minutes ago, Old Collingwood said:

Never in my life have I experienced such a close bond of  family than here   - every one of you  is  amazing in your own ways,  we may not be a physical build club  but  we more than make up for it on here.

Thank You All.

OC.

Totally agree m8 you stay safe we will get through this together 

Martyn

The last week has been the most productive in my workshop that I can remember. I have friends that are bored to tears and watching CNN or Fox 24 hours/day. I found that by limiting my news time to a couple of minutes daily my stress levels have decreased tremendously. That’s what hobbies are for!

My wife and I have decided to minimise all outside contact - in line with guidelines issued by our State government (along with closing down all non-essential services, advising people not to travel unnecessarily etc.) The Federal government and State governments are working together to produce strategies to reduce risk.

On a lighter note . . .

image.png.ee8702f957c1b0ddf10d96337fb5780a.png

Steven

As much as I love the sound of bagpipes, that sound will definitely make you keep your distance <at least from the piper>.  BTW my brother-in-law is a piper. 

I am blessed at the present as I am retired. No real need to go anywhere. As hurricanes and tornadoes are a part of life here we always have a 30 day supply of essentials. Between model ships, leatherwork, and a WWI flight sim, we are good. We, or our loved ones are all going to suffer because of this this even if we stay virus free. Hold fast folks, the sun will shine again. 

3 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

As much as I love the sound of bagpipes, that sound will definitely make you keep your distance <at least from the piper>.  BTW my brother-in-law is a piper. 

My shop teacher in Jr high school was a piper. I was impressed. Loved the sound myself.

Just been doing a risk assessment  to be able to do a 3 month  house isolation me and the admiral  - food  will require  going with the flow,  but  things we will need to  cover  -  loo roll to last,  Milk  long life is poss,   cleaning stuff   - soap  anti bac  spray/wipes   washing machine  powder/tabs   and washing up liquid.

If we could safeguard these will wold be ok in lock down in the house.

Oh and making sure the admiral got her monthly  meds she  needs to function.

This is based on home delivery by our  normal  online delivery store  having severe shortages  as soon as they come in  people going to the store  and more home deliveries are  taking all the  goods.

OC.

9 hours ago, CDW said:

It wasn't that long ago when toilet paper was something only the rich folks had. 

There's news articles about some cities sewer pipes being clogged from folks using things other than toilet paper.   Paper towels and old t-shirts work well in an outhouse but not in indoor plumbing.  

4 hours ago, dvm27 said:

The last week has been the most productive in my workshop that I can remember. I have friends that are bored to tears and watching CNN or Fox 24 hours/day. I found that by limiting my news time to a couple of minutes daily my stress levels have decreased tremendously. That’s what hobbies are for!

I am definitely decreased my standard news consumption. It helps so much not to just focus on it.  Basically I just listen to daily governors and PHO brief.  I get enough specific updates through work to cover the actual medical issues.

4 minutes ago, MEDDO said:

I am definitely decreased my standard news consumption. It helps so much not to just focus on it.  Basically I just listen to daily governors and PHO brief.  I get enough specific updates through work to cover the actual medical issues.

There is so much on the news feeds anymore that finding anything other "breaking virus news" is tough.  

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

There's news articles about some cities sewer pipes being clogged from folks using things other than toilet paper.   Paper towels and old t-shirts work well in an outhouse but not in indoor plumbing.  

I would hate to say in a public forum the things that go down into public utility sanitary sewer systems. It's disgusting. At the sewer plants, there are sludge settlement ponds that must be cleaned out periodically. Oh man, it's nasty. More than anything else, grease is what clogs up sewer pipelines. Neighborhoods that cook with a lot of oil/grease are constant trouble spots for blockages.

5 minutes ago, CDW said:

I would hate to say in a public forum the things that go down into public utility sanitary sewer systems. It's disgusting. At the sewer plants, there are sludge settlement ponds that must be cleaned out periodically. Oh man, it's nasty. More than anything else, grease is what clogs up sewer pipelines. Neighborhoods that cook with a lot of oil/grease are constant trouble spots for blockages.

Havn't used oil or fats in cooking in years - no need for it.

OC.

I finally decided to go to the local supermarket. Did not need a lot. Thought I best get the Sunday papers.

I needed a few bits, milk,coffee,eggs,and cooked meat for sarnies.

There Where around 20 pensioners waiting in front of the store. There Was about 60+ younger people 30-40s waiting on the green.

I am retired and approaching 66 and stood at the back away from the groud.

There was no info about pensioners going in first, or any advice to allow a certain amount of people in at a time.

At this point everyone was acting sensible and following the social distancing guidelines. Then the store opened.

All the younger people rushed straight in, pushing the older folk out of the way. Everyone on top of each Other.

No store manager or staff stopping what was happening. Everyone was rushing down the isles jostling each other to get to items.

Luckily nobody was buying papers. Decided it was not worth the risk buying what few bits I could go without. Grabbed the papers paid and got out.

Paul 

And you British are so famed for queueing, Paul!!! It seems when times of adversity turn up, the queue is forgotten. Maybe you should ask the supermarkeet to get shopping time based on age groups. That would make life a little easier ... suggesting is free ...

Another option: Do you know a younger person living nearby whom can get you what you need? Cavershamis a little bit out of my regular route, else I would not have mind a bit to do your shopping for you

Beaches are banned for public, so are public parks. It seems most people can hold themselves to the requested social distancing, until something triggers them not to - like inb Paul's case the opening of the supermarket doors - or when you are below a certain age. I wonder how long it will take before we will go in total lock down

Keep you distance, it's just like driving your car ...

Well, the days, when an old lady told me off for queuing on the wrong side of the bus-stop sign (I was the first), are long gone. Britain has seen such an influx of foreigners that have no notion of queueing that this habit has all but disappeared. These days, if you don't jump, you don't get onto the bus etc. It seems that famous 'queueing' was a relatively new social habit that only developed during WWI(?) when food etc. was rationed.

Perhaps also the younger generation watch too many doomsday films (well it started with 'Mad Max' when I was in my early 20s) and play too many doomsday video games. Until a week or two ago YouTube ran an advertisement for a video game in which a young girl brakes into an empty supermarket kalashnikov in hand and clears out the shelves; she then has to defend her stolen shopping trolley and goods against all sorts of people shooting madly (I didn't understand, why the other people went for her trolley, rather than loot the shop themselves). I gather YouTube stopped this advertisement now for obvious reasons.

Young people and not only these have become so obsessed with their social rights that they forget their social duties.

It is also interesting to see, how societies develop under duress. The differences in cooking habits between the UK and Germany during and after WW2 are a point in case: in the UK due to women having to work in factories and food shortages the cooking habits severily declined, while in Germany people became inventive with creating all sorts of new recipes for the ingredients that were available. Perhaps this crisis will not last long enough to fundamentally change our social habits, but there will be a lot to study by sociologists and psychologists in the future.

Just been out to town to pick up a few items, all of which I paid for using a contactless credit card.  Although there have been concerns raised in the UK about how quickly we are moving to a cashless society, I wonder how much faster this virus would spread if we were still passing lots of paper and coins amongst ourselves when we shop ?

wefalck, Haven't been to England for ages (it seems to me)

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

Young people and not only these have become so obsessed with their social rights that they forget their social duties.

Not just the young, you could say people have become obsessed with their (social) rights, and forget their (social) duties/obligations

1 minute ago, Clive said:

Just been out to town to pick up a few items, all of which I paid for using a contactless credit card.  Although there have been concerns raised in the UK about how quickly we are moving to a cashless society, I wonder how much faster this virus would spread if we were still passing lots of paper and coins amongst ourselves when we shop ?

Depends on how many (invisible) infected people replanish the shelves, or accidentally do not keep their distance  ...

1 hour ago, wefalck said:

when an old lady told me off for queuing on the wrong side of the bus-stop sign (I was the first),

Really ?  There is a right and wrong side ?  Hmmmm ! 

Actually yes. Today at least they write on the signs either 'Queue this side' or 'Queue other side'. Well in 1972, when this happend, if I remember correctly, the Empire had already gone for decades, but some still didn't realise it ... (something they actually share with the French).

https://www.gwra.co.uk/uploads/_CGSmartImage/img-19ca8c7258bf4f79673292e7db6ce498.jpg

From: https://www.gwra.co.uk/auctions/london-transport-double-sided-enamel-bus-stop-requ-2019mar-0538.html

3 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

At this point everyone was acting sensible and following the social distancing guidelines. Then the store opened.

All the younger people rushed straight in, pushing the older folk out of the way. Everyone on top of each Other.

No store manager or staff stopping what was happening. Everyone was rushing down the isles jostling each other to get to items.

That is truly disturbing. Haven't seen that sort of behavior here in western Pennsylvania...yet, but then, my wife and I haven't been to a store for over a week.

I have seen people behaving really badly at the grocery stores, here.

But, I have also seen excellent behavior out of people.  A couple days ago, I watched a total stranger help an elderly lady pay for part of her groceries.

Now is a good time to stay at home, work in your workshop and relax.

For myself, I have taken a week’s vacation (holiday) before, in order to have time to stay at home and work on my models.

43 minutes ago, wefalck said:

Actually yes. Today at least they write on the signs either 'Queue this side' or 'Queue other side'.

Interesting ! Here, we just get in line behind the 1st person without regard to left or right side of sign.  Generally it is facing the direction from which the bus will arrive, so everyone can see the approaching bus. Sort of like the old adage about walking on the shoulder of the road facing oncoming traffic.