Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive photo editing software for MAC? I recently upgraded to 10.15 and lost my access to Photoshop CS4. I know I can pay the subscription and get PS on the cloud, but the thought of adding a monthly bill just rubs me the wrong way. I would gladly pay the full price of PS if I could have the disk and choose when I want to upgrade and pay the price.

All I really need in a photo editor at home anymore is color correction/white balance correction, cropping and resizing to a specific file size for posting purposes. If there is more to be done I have the full adobe suite available to me at work. Going to work to do basic editing for posting is really not going to work.

So, thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Sam

Photoshop is amazingly expensive, so the subscription method is actually pretty good value and you get not just updates but also major revisions that would cost you to upgrade to with the old system.

I know they do a Photography package which included Photoshop and Lightroom, and it costs just under £10/month. That's great value for a software pack that used to cost over £1000. 

Most software of this type has moved to a subscription model.

You can also sign up for a month's free trial of that Adobe package.

I run the CS (Complete Suite) on monthly sub for education as I work at a school.

NOTE: If you have the full adobe suite at work, you can install a secondary copy on another computer under the same subscription, so maybe you could install it for free. Perhaps you need to speak to your IT guys/gals?

Adobe Photoshop Elements is a very affordable option - I have used it for several years-  Using Elements 2020 now.  It's normally $99 - but is on sale right now for $69.99 until the 15th - just went there to check the price and saw the sale.  It is very versatile and easy to use - unlike Photoshop.  I have never needed anything more powerful.

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-elements.html

Kurt,

Thank you! Why didnt I think about Elements?😡

For some reason I just assumed it was a monthly rental like the full PS software. gonna go check it out right now. That is what I get for assuming.....

Sam

Sam,

I use ON1 but that may be another learning curve you are not prepared to take

James I missed your post above somehow. Call me a Dinosaur but there is something about subscriptions that just dont sit right for me. I get that it pays for improvements and has stopped the theft of software. As a rule as long as a software is working for me I tend to keep it, I was on CS 4 and it did what I needed. I would love to have the option to buy or pay by the month but that is not the business model today.

I did just purchase the PS Elements, I havent loaded it up and looked at it but if I can do batch commands and the other items I mentioned I will be fine, I could even learn to live without batch commands (actions) if I needed to.

As far as using a license from work we are maxed out and I dont see them increasing it. There are only a couple of us who use PS or Illustrator. Besides work is PC and I am on a Mac, not sure if I could even do it if we had more machine licenses available.

Carl, never heard about ON1 I'll take a look, most likely Elements will be just fine.

Thanks all!!

Sam

On 3/13/2020 at 9:21 AM, src said:

Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive photo editing software for MAC? I recently upgraded to 10.15 and lost my access to Photoshop CS4. I know I can pay the subscription and get PS on the cloud, but the thought of adding a monthly bill just rubs me the wrong way. I would gladly pay the full price of PS if I could have the disk and choose when I want to upgrade and pay the price.

All I really need in a photo editor at home anymore is color correction/white balance correction, cropping and resizing to a specific file size for posting purposes. If there is more to be done I have the full adobe suite available to me at work. Going to work to do basic editing for posting is really not going to work.

So, thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Sam

Hey Sam, 

Does your work provide the suite via subscription?   My work does this, which means I can install and use the suite at home without any problem.   Just requires login when I get home.   If not, and all you need is basic editing you might try dabbling with the built in editing features in "Photos" the photo management software built in to MacOS.   It is basic functionality, costs nothing extra and might do the job you are looking for.