Battleship Borodino by RGL - FINISHED - Zvezda - 1/350

I’m at a roadblock with Zara so I thought I’d make a start in my next build, Borodino D57AD1CF-1F62-4A60-A9C1-5468587EAC42.thumb.jpeg.cdd28e0942f621f9e859a60b07c2c20a.jpeg

D4793CE2-36CE-4B6A-B17B-69EA8C3FE41A.thumb.jpeg.d06be87fe400a48059dc7b3191e12a24.jpegBA34DB14-9D25-4CFD-A467-5241DA944B30.jpeg.f8482356764c03d6689803821501cc1f.jpeg8970D285-095B-497F-A3B0-F0090970B8FC.jpeg.9d2165ca61e5185de7c98c59281f5310.jpeg

I’ve purchased both the Gold Medal Models and White Ensign models PE upgrades (they are both very nice and have critical omissions complemented by each other. A wooden deck and a barrels set. AF020FF0-D3FF-43D3-96D4-5821BA846305.thumb.jpeg.177b5807f9eeb72c6f30f94ddd81cc24.jpeg

I then bought a cheaper Pontos set for Sevestapol because it has a full set of torpedo nets, booms, masts and some PE all of which I can use on this and future builds. 7C44442E-709F-4C90-87AA-AFED84C47F4D.thumb.jpeg.a7f2f99f5b441be45cabf3e975f92de0.jpeg735CC1F8-52B3-43D0-B11E-5207E1BC1B33.thumb.jpeg.4c09a05a70ea4264bfeca35898a5b144.jpeg

I have ordered new resin turrets and other goodies from Russia. 

I’ve only found 1 other Borodino with a fully rigged torpedo net, so this will be a very busy build. 

Greg

gonna be quite a project......I'm keen to watch  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'll definitely be following this build!

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Looks like the start of another beauty. At this scale what are you using for netting? Is it a pre-made product or something you /create/modify yourself?

Forgive my ignorance but I have to ask, are those acupuncture needles?

One of their earlier kits? You've become a master of these torpedo net builds. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

To put you into the proper mood for this build, reading Richard Hough's "The Fleet That Had To Die" is excellent "research". It also makes it clear that it is "Open season" on weathering on this one. By the time they reached Japan these ships had truly been pushed hard.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Now fresh off the boat from the former USSR, replacements in resin. Turrets, funnels, torpedo boats and launches, plus smaller guns. I used some of these smaller guns on the Varyag and the quality is amazing. Only really available now in Russia I got them using the Soga Minatures website and Google translate.  

I have bits and pieces left over from my Varyag build, and I’m awaiting some anchors both in resin and PE. 

I’m actually quite excited about both my current builds. 

As I work in an area where I can’t work from home no virus holiday for me. It’s still a total of a winter build for both this and Zara. 

5977607A-1D19-45AD-B622-2F9CC95860B6.jpeg

6ECC4B80-794A-4E06-8DC0-C9F4A564B16F.jpeg

5E65C899-303C-417C-836D-1DD92D166C03.jpeg

C44F4D55-1004-4662-BC23-FD5F38BDD0C5.jpeg

6F89A944-D1AC-4AE7-923D-50A4D173AA87.jpeg

BF3B80B6-481C-42CA-9B23-A8866D8C1026.jpeg

77B0E2F6-805B-49C5-B8C8-B68C96D10748.jpeg

Greg

On 3/15/2020 at 11:51 AM, lmagna said:

To put you into the proper mood for this build, reading Richard Hough's "The Fleet That Had To Die" is excellent "research". It also makes it clear that it is "Open season" on weathering on this one. By the time they reached Japan these ships had truly been pushed hard.

I got this on Kindle and I’m currently reading it. Very well written, it’s like being there and I read a lot of history and listen to a lot on audible as well whilst I’m building. I usually buy up and read as much research on each of my builds as I can to be accurate and I’m thinking yet again I can be creative. 

Greg

47 minutes ago, RGL said:

I’m thinking yet again I can be creative.

You want to say there are times you aren't!!!

Nice new accessories, you will have a ball with those

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Dammit! I've always loved pre-dreadnoughts and this one is a beauty. Almost makes me want to go over to the Dark Side - but the bar is far too high for a duffer like me. I think I'll just have to stick to wood and early ships (plenty of choice there to keep me busy for a lifetime!)

Steven

I have a question that I suppose is only partly related to this build.

When yo buy all of your aftermarket stuff, both PE and resin, how do you know if the stuff you get will be an improvement over what came with the kit? Do you just look at all that is available and buy one each and go through it when it arrives? Or do you have some method of knowing before hand that what you are buying will in fact be an upgrade.

With the stuff I bought for the Titanic for my wife, I think I overdid it for what I intend to build and ended up spending far more than I really needed. For My USS Houston I bought stuff from companies I have seen you guys use in your builds and I knew they would make first class upgrades, but after getting them I wonder if my skill set is up to it. For My Huey I had no idea and pretty much just bought up everything that I could find for a 1/35 scale Huey. So far I have found that probably 50-75% are either usable or an actual upgrade to the original kit. or will even be visible on close inspection in the finished kit.

Is your approach a little more scientific than these three methods? 

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That’s a really good question. 

im not a trail blazer but when I research I’ll look up a completed kit, see what the kit fittings are like. Most are blobs at this scale. 

then I’ll look at what the aftermarket reviews and builds are like both on English speaking and foreign sites. If it looks good and value (some  prices are just stupid) and inclusive (some large upgrades miss out on a lot of sundries) plus not many people have done it (yes, I did Yamato, who hasn’t but it must be quality), I’ll invest. 

is my skill set up to it? Well we don’t know until we try! 

is the finished product in my mind before I start? Every time. It’s never as good as I imagine but at this scale it needs to be the MK1 eyeball. 

there are world class Plastic modellers out there (most of their work is on the facebooks) 
Who are tier #1, who take professional photos and are sponsored, plastic ship models are 10% of the market in plastic models worldwide. I’m happy to aim for tier 3 and learn from the masters 

Greg

Hull work; a few layers of rattle can primer, the main area I want to work on is the armour belt.

E950A138-FD9E-4638-8F38-F6A5CD2281C0.thumb.jpeg.6c28dcc2f7c9cdd3ea910e03ca15b8ea.jpegApparently the ship was so overloaded with upper armor and nice things for the officer class the water was almost coming in through the gunports. The lower hull was apparently completely barnacled by the time of her demise so I intend to make it a mess. 549692FA-44E8-4B47-92AE-79630EF01961.thumb.jpeg.83e48df09f11b78080d51035b592f3a4.jpeg2A69777F-D5F3-4566-8BF5-644517AB04B5.thumb.jpeg.4d0aeab48d8e0d0363eaaaf329c7eec3.jpeg

549692FA-44E8-4B47-92AE-79630EF01961.jpeg

Annotation 2020-03-21 104900.png

Edited by RGL

Greg

1 hour ago, RGL said:

Apparently the ship was so overloaded with upper armor and nice things for the officer class the water was almost coming in through the gunports.

It has been a number of years since I read of the Russian fleets ill fated voyage, but if I remember correctly it was not only an issue with design and comforts but the fact that they were so loaded up with coal and supplies at every opportunity that they had tons of coal stored on the decks each time they coaled up. Also, not only were the hulls barnacled up by the end of the voyage, they had long trails of seaweed growing from the hulls as well. The top speed of the fleet was slowed by several knots even with calm seas and full power. Which was also somewhat limited by the time of the battle due to poor maintenance and lack of parts. Even today 18,000 NM would be a long distance to travel just to sail into a major battle with no time to really prepare for it mechanically. 

Thanks for the information on aftermarket. 

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Wow, happy you are building this one Greg - well maybe not, because you will set the bar way too high for me :)   I actually have the kit, deck, and one of the PE sets (forget whether WEM or GMM), along with the RB barrels I think.  The black hull, accented by brass and yellow funnels was a big draw for me.  I didn't realize there was torpedo netting on this one - I might have to look into adding them when I eventually get to mine.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I’m half way through the book. I’ll make no political comments but I’m thinking the black and brass would be quite faded and worn after travelling some 16,000 miles or so in that is basically a coastal monitor. They crammed 800 or so men onto this thing! 

Edited by RGL

Greg

6 hours ago, RGL said:

They crammed 800 or so men onto this thing! 

I don't see you accomplishing that feat ...

strange these tubs could sail when looking at the centre of gravity I wonder why it didn't turn turtle!

Why those platforms? Doesn't the deck offerr enough support, and possibilities to fixate?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

As I remember it, this line of ships where French constructions from the beginning...

Russia bought two from France as I remember it, and later a number of

russian ships were based on that construction they bought.

Edited by VonHoldinghausen

Finishing Titanic 1/350 scale from Minicraft, Plastic. Partly scratch. Loads of PhotoEtch.

Upcoming builds: Syren from MS 1:64, Pegasus from Victory Models 1:64, Surprise from AL 1:48

The one in the middle, with minimal detail. The aftermarket ones need barrels now.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild