Borodino by RGL - FINISHED - Zvezda - 1/350 - PLASTIC

Normally one could say that the fouling on this model is over the top. But in this case it may even be considered conservative based on the verbal descriptions of the ships conditions.

What ship is it in your last picture? I would think you would have some of the look of picture "a" as well:

Figure 1

This is going to be a very unique model and you are one of the few who has the skill needed to make it happen.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Forgot to ask previously: Red base coat when chipping to make it look like rust?

3 hours ago, RGL said:

Torpedo net shelves, boom arm brackets and torpedo loading hatch (for some reason it’s on the plans but never provided for or on the kit. 

I presume these were in the after market set. The kit's booms were probably to weak to keep the net up ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

8 minutes ago, RGL said:

I intend to prime all the PE with the airbrush

Tamiya primer? I have not found anything adherent enough to stick to PE but rattle can primer. Either Tamiya or Vallejo. The bottled Vallejo primer is a no go on PE. Bold move

Carl

1 minute ago, RGL said:

Ah! It’s like being married! I’ve told you this before!!!!

Must be (getting) old and senile, besides I wouldn't know what marriage is like, so I keep on asking

What's the ratio thinner:primer you use? 1:1 , 2:1 , 3:2 ... I find the Primer quite thick, and have already slightly diluted it for brushing

Carl

So not much done today as gardening took priority. The Svestapol set has a heap of thin little steel railings that are used on her deck. Perfect for non slip footings that are used on the anchor storage area. F710221A-75B8-4A22-AD6C-5BA680BE84B9.thumb.jpeg.94fb38538f88df6b23947d6392f58d3d.jpeg

the housings amidships, I’ve painted in the windows and masked them off. A day of primer then a base rust coat next. Hopefully I can make it look a bit better than the old rough kit it is now. E56ED22B-49B9-4B69-B883-C32C907C9051.thumb.jpeg.211286bda2ba2791200aa3c4c300e197.jpeg

Greg

It may not look like much but the base rust coat applied. Once I’ve applied a matte coat I can begin chipping fluids then start painting him black. That won’t be till next week when I’m off work again. My plan is to now start on some f the other hull structures that won’t need sever be weathering. 

1FD1D1CA-BD8C-4FC3-A389-0C2EB3E4D9CD.jpeg

Greg

Greg,

I love the predreadnoughts, especially the French ones. They look so steampunk! Looking at them they look like the shouldn’t be able to float. I don’t think being a Russian sailor at that time was a very pleasant experience. I had this model and you are really doing an amazing job with it.

Kurt

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Until you throw us a wide perspective shot like this one would think this model was 3 feet long. With all the detail you put into these things how do you manage to keep it all in scale so well? The result is very believable and very pleasing to the eye.

Well done sir.

the detail your adding to this one Greg is superb.......but then again...you've pushed the envelope on every ship you build.  she's look'en nasty.....

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

all you'd need is an orange and a bunch of golf tees..............not much to the imagination ;)   someone's idea of poking fun? :unsure:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

How do you determine the scale of an iceberg? Wouldn't it be just as easy working from a set of plans?:D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

24 minutes ago, RGL said:

Depends on the size of your freezer I expect

:D

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey