Cutty Sark by Vladimir_Wairoa - 1:24- English Clipper - FINISHED

1 hour ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Different activity today. Sketches. 

20200630_173130.jpg

That looks familiar......

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello,  I continue tuning up here and there towards realism  redesigned poop with proper base line and corner columns ets...with paneling...i  shaped up figurehead a bit more to pronounce skirts waves ( needs to paint)  and made a prototype of rail panels new  look ,  i tried to mimic paneling with knife strokes, i guess its not worth hassling  beyond that. It will take me few weeks to finish them anyway so i will keep silent for longer. Learning that patience is the rule. All done with one bloody sharp carving knife / walnut beast/ and steel liner. Holes with drill. What do you think folks? Thank you  you for likes dislikes and whatever comments. Vlad 

20200702_121702.jpg

20200630_115238.jpg

20200702_121636.jpg

20200630_120737.jpg

20200703_114204.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well done on the figurehead!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Coming along nicely....

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Hello. Topgallant rail decorative panel finished and finally changed. Installed. Every section now rounded, sanded and each individual panelling  lined with knife strokes. Middle columns bevelled around edges. this hassle Gave me headache but main rail secured firmly withstanding shrouds so no accident. had to be improved though. Next stage. Individual deck planking. Will take thru all summer i guess as summer calls for other activities :)) 

20200714_152129.jpg

20200714_151904.jpg

20200714_152146.jpg

20200714_152529.jpg

Glad,

The details of this build are simply amazing. It’s almost as if the pictures were take on the deck of the actual Cutty. Beautiful job!

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

42 minutes ago, mbp521 said:

Glad,

The details of this build are simply amazing. It’s almost as if the pictures were take on the deck of the actual Cutty. Beautiful job!

-Brian

Thank you Brian, sweetens the heart. i hope iwill be ever satisfied so i dont need to redo again...:) by the way i remember your lovely steamer chaperon. i enjoyed it a lot. Vlad 

Good Evening Vladimir;

The inboard panelling is looking very impressive. Nice work indeed. As Brian says above, it looks very real. Keep up the good work, and maintain the standard you have reached.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Vladimir...your corrections are spot on.....looks like the prototype for sure....well done.

Rob

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

Many Thanks for encouragement Everyone. 

i dug into deck planking, in my case Cutty one yesterday.

unfortunately i do not posses a book from Mr. Longridge about cutty and model but he states planks would be in my case about 20 cm long and I have also a laydown pattern. Campbell provides width. i am about to lay 1 mm thick ones, and 5 and 3/4 " - so i will use 6 mm wide lime planks. pretty big huh? :) not settled with caulking yet but i am about to try first how  both metods turn out - pencil or black paper. i have nice auite thick one.... or i guess it will be  both sides penciled as those planks are enough wide for thicker caulk i guess... i would prefer pencil as quicker labor i guess but i am not hurrying. not sure what looks more oomph... if anyone has any  own trick or so i would love to learn.  i speculate how i lay king plank straight and omit deckhouse so i can spare some wood but i smell accident that i would like to avoid. any small misalignment will pay dearly i guess . just a queation pls would you go for tree nailing being it your place ?:)   good modeling to everyone .  Vlad 

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening everyone,

so i am posting completed lifeboat. took me whole week.

thank you for looking, comments etc...its only my 2nd so please dont expect much :) interior is simplified comparing to prototype... ...painted acrylics and vaxed oil afterwards.

feeling like medieval monk doing minucules and yet building on mammoth scale. :)from now on 

starting deck planking !

Vlad

20200806_182836.jpg

20200806_173827.jpg

20200806_173734.jpg

20200806_185753.jpg

20200806_173528.jpg

Fantastic job.   Awesome.           

Current build:

Finished build:

Current build(On hold):

And so it has started....

Great planking of 2020. Started offv yesterday , had to use paper as caulk because no pencil would be wide enough to be realistic un my scale. I worked in batches of 13 timbers - cutting, gluing with wood glue to furm paper of 1/3 mm, i was nervous but once lfigured out that it went smooth cutting with surgical scalpel, ut went quite fast. When glued up i sanded rough ends to the line in once... fingers crossed as im doing this first time, but i rembmber from real floor laying that many can go awfully wrong easily. measured it throughout twice and so far satisfied....will see how it goes on if the kung plank is straight...im less nervous now but sheer will be it....ow . Done roofing on decjs as well. Poop will be dark with white seams..thx20200811_174914.thumb.jpg.6414b4b657a0c32dd5e703fb02fe1553.jpg 

20200811_174908.jpg

20200811_174901.jpg

20200808_195851.jpg

20200810_184111.jpg

20200810_100841.jpg

20200810_130515.jpg

20200810_131205.jpg

20200810_130701.jpg

20200810_163251.jpg

20200808_191955.jpg

20200810_130617.jpg

20200810_130559.jpg

Vlad,

Beautiful job on the nibbing. As mundane and time consuming as it is, this is still one of my favorite parts of deck planking. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

19 minutes ago, mbp521 said:

Vlad,

Beautiful job on the nibbing. As mundane and time consuming as it is, this is still one of my favorite parts of deck planking. 

-Brian

Many thanks for comment Brian. I should better not complain probably because it is enormous scale...but doing it 1 time really, this was training before i reach sheer on deck..do you maybe have some hint ? I first cut straight plank, attached plank and redraw lije with pencil on share but i did not dare glie the heerline because of wallnut. On deck i have baswood sheer firmly glued so i will have to draw lulijlne cut probably carefully little smaller ..to prevent large gap...will see though. V . 

Vlad,

It seems at that scale it would be a lot easier to do. Sounds like you are going about it the way I do mine. My approach was to cut all the planks to length and mount them in place. I then placed the nibbing Strake in place on top of the planks and marked the plank location on it. Then cut the nibbing Strake on the marks, a little fine sanding and the glued into place. 

These are some pictures of my planking and nibbing Strake from my Flying Fish

402B678D-F5A9-460C-BE8C-59F5A0D08934.jpeg.c056fd26f7fb473baf07def1029cb93b.jpeg

07642485-B7BA-4061-BCAB-E0A9ED5A6FF9.jpeg.ada0528262606ff32c0604dfe308acc9.jpeg

Hope this helps. 

-Brian

11 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Vlad,

It seems at that scale it would be a lot easier to do. Sounds like you are going about it the way I do mine. My approach was to cut all the planks to length and mount them in place. I then placed the nibbing Strake in place on top of the planks and marked the plank location on it. Then cut the nibbing Strake on the marks, a little fine sanding and the glued into place. 

These are some pictures of my planking and nibbing Strake from my Flying Fish

402B678D-F5A9-460C-BE8C-59F5A0D08934.jpeg.c056fd26f7fb473baf07def1029cb93b.jpeg

07642485-B7BA-4061-BCAB-E0A9ED5A6FF9.jpeg.ada0528262606ff32c0604dfe308acc9.jpeg

Hope this helps. 

-Brian

wow flying fish, beautiful work.Thanks Brian for explanation, soon im at planksheer so i can show how it materialize and we can possibly suggest how it goes. finger crossed :) V. do you have album of flying fish so i can see her? 

5 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

wow flying fish, beautiful work.Thanks Brian for explanation, soon im at planksheer so i can show how it materialize and we can possibly suggest how it goes. finger crossed :) V. do you have album of flying fish so i can see her? 

Vlad,

With what I’ve see so far by the quality of your work, I don’t see where the plank sheer will be a problem for you. Cutty Sark is on my list of builds one of these days. 

Unfortunately I do not have a build log or gallery pics of my Flying Fish on MSW, if you like I can post a few pics here if you like (I figured I’d ask before hijacking your build log). I started her about five years ago and in the mean time we moved. She was packed up for a few years and I only recently pulled her out of storage.  My intention is to finish her once I’ve completed my scratch built USS Cairo. Right now all I have completed on her is the hull and deck furniture. I had started work on the masts but didn’t get very far before she was packed up. 

-Brian

4 hours ago, mbp521 said:

Vlad,

With what I’ve see so far by the quality of your work, I don’t see where the plank sheer will be a problem for you. Cutty Sark is on my list of builds one of these days. 

Unfortunately I do not have a build log or gallery pics of my Flying Fish on MSW, if you like I can post a few pics here if you like (I figured I’d ask before hijacking your build log). I started her about five years ago and in the mean time we moved. She was packed up for a few years and I only recently pulled her out of storage.  My intention is to finish her once I’ve completed my scratch built USS Cairo. Right now all I have completed on her is the hull and deck furniture. I had started work on the masts but didn’t get very far before she was packed up. 

-Brian

Hi Brian post here for sure. i obtained plan from model snhipways for the reason i am bugeer scaler...but i gravitate towards glory of the seas so the plan will probably lay idle for a bit hovewer it is very useful for masting rigging and overall techniques as model shipways is great at that. feel free to post here she looks very fine :) thanks.  i hope moderators wont concur either. im into american clippers now after i finish cutty. but still to work on her for sure. glad to hear you think of building cutty. :) cheers  

Here you go Vlad. Enjoy. 
542EFEFB-96A1-4634-B14A-A405B81D160A.jpeg.03d74249ba64bacd99c87b7b1fd96d0d.jpeg446D5C1B-E24E-4078-A2C7-014EA07B2666.jpeg.9aaaebf7bdeff99e756068c12be861a3.jpeg110116BA-0FE2-4E90-8424-69F823E4A3F9.jpeg.a6cb9bec4387ed30aef12d16856514c3.jpeg52C83452-D9E7-44D0-A713-A1738056FC65.jpeg.7ea17cc1d8d44499218cb85ef3449071.jpeg405E4809-97F5-4527-B682-220DA3B8C35D.jpeg.f98d14742a31113d781fb7ad3731788f.jpeg060D41C9-221A-49D6-913B-3E177AD2BDDB.jpeg.ac93927b19ddc7f38d705906e3a76736.jpeg31352A62-769D-4F00-B9ED-67C4AD14E61B.jpeg.53f1dc1bc6dacf128280a2d31b31ceeb.jpeg