Cutty Sark by Vladimir_Wairoa - 1:24- English Clipper - FINISHED

17 hours ago, the learner said:

Post 141, 1st picture, what material did you use for mast boot. 

Hello, good question thanks. there is an 10 mm thick and  maybe 15 cm long iron rod installed in mast bottom to fit the hole drilled into bulkhead . i will try to find photo. its different instalment of two other masts but  pretty much solid to withstand entire rigging if ever continued :) 

So, unfortunately i did not photographed all process, but i found leftover from rod, and will try to explain. Mast itself is of beech wood which is stiff itself and there would not need to be any outer protections against potential  cracking speaking of rigging. Its strength would withstand any possible  rigging tensions  itself perfectly. ( speakig of model of course)  I however secured it just in case of  any horrifying cape horn roaring 60 ties by bronze cap. :)

You can see from pics. 8 mm steel rod bored  into mast bottom about 10 cm length into. Than i secured some 2 mm thick solid bronze cap to the outer shape of mast  to prevent any tensions and potential cracks. After i simply bored mast into predrilled hole in bulkhead. As you can see from post 144 That is secure as hell because in sipte bulkhead is inly 24 mm thick in fore - aft direction - center of bulkhead where is hole is ineed  shuffled into centerline  wood-)which it pretty much secures agsinst longitudal tensions and left right tensions are negligible from crack also  because bulkhead is 200 mm solid in that direction. In case of curiosity, as you can see mast and bulkheads are approx 24 mm thick and rod is about  8 mm so there is plenty of solid surface around to keep it firmly in place. 

Thanks for asking V. :)

20200922_085805.jpg

20200922_085729.jpg

20200922_090328.jpg

20200922_085816.jpg

I am adding some more pics I found... around spring of this year.

as I wanted to mainain relative lightweight of the ship, and tried to stiffen whole construction I installed some wooden bits to the sfkeleton from the bottom, so they work together to both directions of the installment and add overall stiffness to the boat, leaving it relatively light. skeleton is made of pine which remain lightweight well, i did not weight it. mass of wood on deck added up and butt is heavier of course...being solid.  as 2 adults lift the boat i would suffest of some 50 kilograms entire built boat. i will will weigh her probably at some point out of curiosity...:)

20200217_150645.jpg.6b2733edadbe8b3250127f13cd8fbe4d.jpg

Wrap.

Dear fellow Builders,

there is no prettier object in the earth than boat lines....for us....i know ladies would be protesting but ...we know  thee is no point in  arguing :)im closing the cathedral of the oceans. first, Id sincerely like to thank you All, that watched, looked, commented, liked my build. I would most likely not finished it otherwise.

I am amateur violinmaker, that once told myself i will try to model cutty. Having thought of myself, it cannot be more difficult than violinmaking. what is art of ship modeling? where that art lies? I had to try it having had only one attempt of halfbuilt hms terror in the pocket,/ and no other small ship whatsover /  i looked at cutty sark bow pamous pic  wharving at sydney quay...and told myself, that would do. - wrong. it is far more difficult than i thought it will be....

I did not know what i will step into....where will i go. hull went smooth, unless, one cannot miss small part of modelbuilding even  in huge projects....

looked at small models of it, I tried to do someting different, than just another 1.96 cutty sark, I wanted to smell the more realistic details of the deck. If i was told to do it again I would certainly back off. w hy? because i know now what is to dvelve into mere 3000 hours of repairs. I need to mention the way I worked. It was not up down process than designer set out plans and hand work down to workers , carpenters and so on rpecise instruction clearly having in mind what process would look like etc. even material. I mean ship modeling surely is up- down process as there is plan to be fullfilled and rather closely than vaguely for the saek of reault. but as aome cathedral in the past were (to peoples astonishment when they realize) built without an architect following rather bottom up rule - I built up closer to this approach. as thought or idea sprung, or someone led me to some direction there was not clear from start what would deckhouses looked exactly like - it went various ways some mistaken and had to be reversed. some good some totally wrong that had to be scrapped from start. experienced builders know by expecience what works for them. i have to find my own paths as well...slowly :) I dreamt with her I had to watch her in my room even I did not wish to ....:) she was in my way to the desk, to my wardrobe. she is hell of a MONSTER. :) but she has  tender lines in her. :D She is crippled from the bottom and even more cut off from the top. but if i managed to get her body, she would shine even crippled diorama :D

Wise people dont make mistakes of fools, as saying goes, they learn that is better to make 12 small models to know what is it to build one big one. seems i am not one of them. I soak myself with troubles and try to skirmish away from abbys with some grace. it is not always possible but i know one think.

i hated her during process I sweared even, but i was the wrong for whats count. I repaired almost everything unill satisfaciton. I learned a tons. I will go SMALLER next definitely. I carved as I loved her. I wanted to see her shine despite my lack of craft. I gave the most of my abilities to her I possibly could. and for that reason I am satisfied whatever the flaw. she is not perfect by any mean. her butt is approx 2 cm narrower that plan is telling, but I dont mind even I can tell the curve of her butt from memory even in midnight....e.g. revell model is horribly wrong in this direction and possible other makers as well..

.She does not have rear companionway as I deliberately did not want to make it. she does not have rudder finished as I dont have strenght nor material to do it properly. she is ready to be fully masted if someone ever desired so. who knows. Her steel bulwark is sound and strong. there is lot to critisize. I dont know whether I managed to create the charm she has.

Others must tell. For what I know, I gave her all I have in my abilities. :) there is never another time.... I need rest. I am eager to build small boats like, whaleboat, or cutters or so before I start way smaller and hopefully better that this - Glory of the Seas.  

I must say, for me  it was definitely more difficult than to make good sounding violins. I have both to prove now :) thank you . im posting some pics and will make a small gallery. you can feel im glad it is over. True. I just tasted of some masting and rigging and full masting and rigging of such giant would take another 2 years or so. I must asy though I regret not seeing her under sails though. but she is way too big for that. SO i have to stick with whats there :) hope you enjoyed it as I did. Whats most important? I did not loose interest of shipmodeling, quite contrary... thanks Vlad.

The Japanese called Perry's ships “the Black Ships,” by virtue of their  appearance and smoke from their exhaust. #Bla… (With images) | Cutty sark  ship, Sailing ships, Cutty sark

20200922_100659.jpg.73c089f8bab2a330d72e4e9f42801094.jpg

Cutty Sark 038.JPG

Cutty Sark 033.JPG

Cutty Sark 155.JPG

Cutty Sark 141.JPG

Cutty Sark 150.JPG

Beautiful work and so much detail.  She's a work of art, Vladamir.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Vladamir.  She is amazing and a real accomplishment.  I wonder if you originally intended to complete her rigging?   I might have contributed to enticing You to move onto Glory of the Seas. I’m quite impressed with what you have accomplished. She’s astounding 

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

17 hours ago, Vladimir_Wairoa said:

Thank you everyone. 

@rwiederrich I did intended but the moment I setup the length without jibboom I realized it was merely a sweet dream. maybe foolish one: D

Why? Because she will be too long or too complex?
Anyway, you did a great job, and she looks fantastic even now! And... Who knows, maybe in the future you will come back to her and complete the rigging! 

Thank you for sharing your journey!

Current build: Cutty Sark - Revell - 1:96:   https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25323-cutty-sark-by-bruma-revell-196/

Great job Vladimir,

I personaly think she looks Good without all the rigging. You get to see all the details better.

I have a few sailing ships in my stash. But I find my hands shake far to much when attaching small parts, and especially when tieing knots.

I will take inspiration from this and build one without the rigging.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Congratulations on completing her, Vladimir; 

A very lovely model, and built with remarkable speed. There is a lot of good detailing on her, and I agree with the others above: it has been a pleasure to watch her taking shape under your hands. I hope that whatever well-earned rest you take now will not last too long, and you will be back in the workshop on your next project; which I look forward very much to following.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

23 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

Great job Vladimir,

I personaly think she looks Good without all the rigging. You get to see all the details better.

I have a few sailing ships in my stash. But I find my hands shake far to much when attaching small parts, and especially when tieing knots.

I will take inspiration from this and build one without the rigging.

Paul

Thats true as well Paul :) thanks 

On 9/25/2020 at 9:32 AM, Bruma said:

Why? Because she will be too long or too complex?
Anyway, you did a great job, and she looks fantastic even now! And... Who knows, maybe in the future you will come back to her and complete the rigging! 

Thank you for sharing your journey!

good point  Bruma , thanks! 

19 minutes ago, Mark P said:

A very lovely model, and built with remarkable speed. There is a lot of good detailing on her, and I agree with the others above: it has been a pleasure to watch her taking shape under your hands. I hope that whatever well-earned rest you take now will not last too long, and you will be back in the workshop on your next project; which I look forward very much to following.

All the best,

Mark P

Thanks Mark for kind worlds and valuable support on this journey. 

Truth is I will not have granted such time as I had building cutty ever. Due to work it will take linger to post. hovewer I have paln in my head established , as usually winter is my workshop time. i have violin and cello half built but not touched over 1.5 year now  but i dont want to leave ships abandoned so i have to figure it out. - im eyeing some small models 1 or 2 - whaleboat or historical lognboat cutter and scottish fishing vessel. but my main project will be McKays glory of the seas as I have merchant clippers in my heart:)Now i can establish quite fast route with hull ( being way smaller im not scared that much - and having build cutty without any building instructions apart of campbel plan i had to follow try and continue route  - 

for glory i have i intend to use model shipways detailed building plan with step by step insteuctinos which would be breeze i suppose if i nail main things. but at the same time i want to make hull filled with balsa maybe for filled up hull - two layers of planking and I wish to make bow glorious so i would have to probably search for ways where to purchase a figurehead. that that would be later. - so i wish i can get hands on glory this winter and complete hull. fingers crossed. 

oh by the way - i worked carelessly with chemicals and glue on cutty with bare hands  and  unfortunateyl  ideveloped kind of :( alergy on hands. so i will prefer  to use wood glue from now on. its agressive chemical bastard that fastglue..meanwhile i will sit , watch and enjoy and like projecs of others...V. 

8 minutes ago, svein erik said:

hi

congrats, you are duing a fantastick job , the model is big but its also looking  beautiful....

with rigging it wil be a master peace .

i hope i can build a cutty from scrath but not so big then😉 i love to see it rigged sometime in the future.

have a grait day☺

svein erik

Hi Erik thanks for nice words. 

Well, if I was to start now, I would think differently in this direction. if going with full rig definitely go smaller at least 1:48 would do beautifuly. If going 1:24 - BOF without masts at all would be astohisnig but being frame not wooden - that would be a unimaginable challenge. also it woudl be long long work. 

my piece of advice now is if someone desires to build larger than rest - be prepared for long route i mean long route - even longer than long  :) thats for sure :) 

another piece of lesson i learnt was - it does not matter how big is ship - rather choose smaller boat dor intricate details - can be obtained in smaller vessel ( according scale) but some boats are too big in life that for detail they need to be built bigger to have those details appear. :) i encountered a small piece of big deadeyes or eyebolts etc rigging there - and I struggled.

but trying big rigging can be tricky because you will soon run into other problems that small scales omit - splicing and other nightmares:) 

so it realy doesnot matter at the end each scale have its own advantages and disadvantages - for example - in big scales you have t omael own deadeyes - impossible to buy - and mostly everything that comes with ironwork - 

rudder hinges? not existent . 

most suppliers have things commercialy sold up to 1:65 i would say. 

that itself would have shortened my timework approximately to the half! 

so building smaller has numerous asvantages over building big - 

:) but that is obvious i guess

for that I take hat off every smaller scale builders who rig their boats fully. that is unimaginable for me to achieve. i would rather make 10 boats hulls and cabins than one small 1 masted rig. :)) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 9:40 AM, Mark P said:

All the best,

Mark P

Hey Mark, how are you doing? all good in new year and safe these times. been scrolling thru past pages lately, if you want you can check my recent udergoing in group project winchelsea , i jumped that wagon for the moment building from rest what left from cutty with ordered stuff from Chuck.  ;) all good Cheers,  Vlad