Sovereign of the Seas by pirozzi - FINISHED - Mantua

The mizen mast rigging in complete along with the flag, poop deck flag, and any remaining running rigging not previously completed. I have tied my last clove hitch on this baby. :P  :P  :P

The only thing left is to fish the anchors and maybe add some crew members (not decided yet). I have to research what the color scheme was for clothing.

Vince P.

post-579-0-27663000-1388944712_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-39036100-1388944714_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-10167900-1388944716_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-46267900-1388944717_thumb.jpg

The last step in fishing the anchors. The kit does not mention anchor bouys, but ships had them to locate submerged anchors. I made some from 8mm round stock and rigged them with a sling I found illustrated in "The Period Ship Handbook #1". Shown is the rearmost starboard anchor secured to the channel. The forward anchor will be rigged hanging from the cathead just to illustrate stowing the anchors both ways, even though both would be lashed to the channel under full sail.

Vince P.

post-579-0-28080200-1389032820_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-15750600-1389032822_thumb.jpg

Very impressive!  She is every thing a prestigious flag ship should be.    

Vince, she is superb. Congratulations - you must be proud.

Perhaps I missed it in an earlier post, but how did you get the sails to stay in shape?

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Vince, she is superb. Congratulations - you must be proud.

Perhaps I missed it in an earlier post, but how did you get the sails to stay in shape?

Hi Amfibius,

I got the sails to shape by just adjusting the tension and slack on the running rigging attached to each sail. It is not perfect but is better than just limp sails.

Vince P.

Vince,

BEAUTIFUL. Such a treat for the eyes. I love your idea of furling the lower main sail, that really allows the eyes to admire the weather deck more fully. Gongrats..on a beautiful build. A kit that most, if not all builders, would love to "rise" to.

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

One last bit of kit bashing. I did some research since I am going to rig her with the bow anchors hanging from the catheads. Since the only thing holding these anchors is an open hook on the tackle block, there had to be a better way to secure the anchors from jarring loose. Ships of this period did have a solution. There was a half cleat with a sheave mounted on the side of the cathead. A rope called a "cathead blocker" was rigged by securing through a verical hole in the cathead, passing through the anchor ring, up through the sheave in the half cleat, and finially tied off at the forward forecastle railing. I made the half cleats from some 4x4mm walnut stock, with a 3mm deadeye as the sheave.

Vince P.

post-579-0-98661500-1389208385_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-71533900-1389208388_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-93309600-1389208390_thumb.jpg

I solved the cradle problem. The new kit "Royal William" from Euromodels which I just purchased for my next project, came with nice Walnut to make a cradle. I just recut it slightly to fit the SOS hull better and added red felt and a bronze label. It fits perfectly and is very stable and strong. I will use the template to make another for the Royal William.

Vince P.

post-579-0-10854800-1389399167_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-07066000-1389399169_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-26074800-1389399171_thumb.jpg

I AM DONE !! SHE IS COMPLETED AND LOOKS PRETTY GOOD TO ME. I still have to post the rest of the belay diagrams on this log. I will try and get my hands on a good camera and take a bunch of various photos to post on the completed ship gallery. I am a little sad since she has occupied my every day for over 2 years. :(

Woo Woo !! :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

post-579-0-10136000-1389399805_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-44287000-1389399808_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-71839900-1389399811_thumb.jpg

post-579-0-94434000-1389399814_thumb.jpg

:cheers:  :dancetl6:

Way to go!!! Beautiful ship, and awesome build. This kit has been in my wish list for years.

You did a splendid job, Vince. My Congratulations!!!

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Something to be very proud of, Vince.

Congratulations !!!

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hi Denis and Vince,

Thanks to both of you for sharing your expertise through your build-logs and personal advice. Each of you have saved me from making errors, and I really appreciate it. Your Sovereigns are both beautiful, and I only hope that I can come somewhat close to the skills and knowledge that you each have shown.

Over the coming months, and perhaps even years, I will continue to visit your build-logs for direction and inspiration.

Andy

Edited by andy

Sweet, Vince.  Looks fantastic.  I hope you have a display case for her as she deserves one.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Vince.

Excellent ship

The pictures are very nice.

"Sovereign of the Seas" by Mantua is one of my dreams

I will look to your, to take ideas when i'll start mine

Al the best, and thank's for showing this to us

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Excelent, and thank's for share.

I will start soon with Sovereign and i will use your drawings.

Tank you in advance

Cristi

• 10 months later...

Vince,

Beautiful work ! Yes she needed a protective bubble.

My dream is to one day have the talent/ability to build the SOS, still a dream (;-)

Michael

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

• 1 month later...

Hi Vince, it looks excellent.

Wait to see her in final position.

I think that i have to build the sime size, the display case for mine (in the future, hope, maybe one yaer)

Al the best Cristi

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Sovereign of the Seas by pirozzi - FINISHED - Mantua