Lady Isabella by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Zulu prototype

26 minutes ago, James H said:

I've had time to do some planking during my enforced isolation.

Great build log, James. This is a wonderful model and I can't wait for it to become available. What is the overall length of the Zulu? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

2 hours ago, chris watton said:

Sails will be sold separately

Good. I have no interest in sails and wouldn't want to absorb the extra cost. Making them an add-on option is good call.

Those planking lines don't look very beginerish...

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 3/23/2020 at 11:33 AM, James H said:

I'm reliably informed that its finished size is 608mm long and about 340mm tall

Excellent! I was under the impression that it was going to be quite small. I think a model of this size would make it easier for Chris to add a nice level of detail to it. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

A quick update on the Zulu.

The second layer of pear wood planking is now fitted. This was done with CA gel (Gorilla Glue) which is very different to how I usually work with PVA etc. Plank edges were bevelled as I went, and tapered where necessary. Once installed, the hull was sanded down with 120, 180, 240 and 320 grade papers. A small amount of Ronseal natural wood filler was also added, but that was tiny. A testament to how well this kit is designed.

DSC_1657.jpg

It was now the turn of the rubbing strakes to be fitted. The upper two, which butt right up next to each other, are walnut and semi-circular in section. A nice contrast to the pear of the hull. Three other 1mm square strakes are also added. The lower one only extends part way back down the hull. Any glue marks you see will disappear when I add the polyurethane varnish later.

DSC_1661.jpg

The rudder simply plugs into the stern post and the sockets more or less hidden by the pintles. A 0.6mm drill was used to cleanly open out the laser cut holes so I could easily fit a pin through. The pintles and gudgeons are photo-etch and glued with CA gel. I used the kit's Amati brass nails on the pintles and applied a part nail from either side so I could have the domed heads on both faces. The gudgeons have their nails etched onto the parts.

DSC_1662.jpg

DSC_1665.jpg

More soon!

33 minutes ago, James H said:

Plank edges were bevelled as I went,

Do you ever find that you only need to bevel a portion of the plank instead of the whole length of the plank from end to end? For example, when a plank has a gap that extends only for a small portion of the whole plank.

I love this boat, James. It's going to be a beauty!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

24 minutes ago, BobG said:

Do you ever find that you only need to bevel a portion of the plank instead of the whole length of the plank from end to end? For example, when a plank has a gap that extends only for a small portion of the whole plank.

I love this boat, James. It's going to be a beauty!

I've not bevelled a plank's whole length. On average, no more than 2/3 of it. Some of the initial planks (after the non-tapered) are probably only around 50% of the length.

1 minute ago, NewbyMark said:

I have only been on this site a short while and I am simultaneously amazed by some of the work I’ve seen and also feeling like I may as well just give up 😂 What a great site this is. Love this build - thanks for sharing.

Glad you're enjoying this one. It's great fun! I actually primed the hull in red oxide and noticed more plank showing than I wanted, so I've just used some thin filler paste and cut it back, ready for more primer, possibly tomorrow. 

I'd love to see your Speedy as a build log.

On 3/26/2020 at 11:48 AM, James H said:

A 0.6mm drill

May I ask your source for these drills?

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Glenn,

Try this link: (Amazon, of course, it's safe):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S636JHY/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B07S636JHY&pd_rd_w=2cfw5&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=poySX&pf_rd_r=7GRHZ2PVD922K9VZWCQS&pd_rd_r=c99d267d-87c7-47c7-9f76-f92808379626&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzU1ZUNk43VzNZR0pLJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDU2MzgxMTRBWUEySVBXVTMyNyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzUxODMwM0JZV0NGSllPMUE0TyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbCZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=#customerReviews

I have a set of "thumb drills" I use extensively. Purchased from MicroMark. No longer available, but I'm thinking about ordering a set of these. I work in metric, so these are great for me since my old ones are starting to get dull. And, I can't sharpen a .5 mm drill bit.🤨

Ron1212623013_61ruZLlUaL._AC_SL1001_.jpg.a8a3b089a8a3575e908cd912e2d94dd7.jpg1470066158_61kiWICt6L._AC_SL1001_.jpg.ba8abaf7f979ae59acf18b317e683c01.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Thanks!  A set is on the way.  I only drill by hand and have tons of tiny drill bits, I'm always fumbling with the calibers to get the right size. These should be great

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

A busy couple of days in the workshop, but taking full advantage of the government's new isolation rules.

First up, I slotted the stand together but left the protective film on it so I didn't scratch it. I really don't recommend you do this as it was extremely tight and I don't know how breakable this is. 

DSC_1660.jpg

The reason for slotting this was because I wanted a cradle that would hold the hull evenly whilst I added the waterline. The waterline also doesn't run parallel to the bottom of the keel either. My Amati waterline tool was now given its baptism of fire. 

DSC_1666.jpg

Masking tape was cut into thin strips and laid along the outside of the waterline. The rest of the model was then totally covered so no overspray could happen. Plastikote's Red Oxide primer was not applied to the underside of the model, in several light coats, building it up gradually. It's pretty important that you make sure that the planks aren't popping out with their gaps with this on, so I used some wood filler first and sanded back, checking the hull against the light to make sure as few lines as possible could be seen.

DSC_1670.jpg

I left the primer to cure overnight and then carefully masked off the whole area. From there, more thin strips were used to create the bootstrap. This took a few attempts to get it even on both sides. A couple of whisky were definitely needed after that! Again, the remainder of the hull was masked to protect it before matt white spray was applied to the bootstrap and in thin coats.

DSC_1691.jpg

DSC_1695.jpg

The whole hull exterior was given several coats of interior matt polyurethane varnish which is pretty tough (Ronseal). That was left overnight and when the hull could be handled, I snapped off the tags on the top of the bulkheads, and sanded their remnants flush with the ply deck. 

DSC_1696.jpg

This kit will come with an option for a laser-engraved maple ply deck and this is gorgeous! This was now fitted using CA gel. Very little fettling needed to be done for this.

DSC_1697.jpg

DSC_1699.jpg

I could now move onto adding some detail, and this starts with the timberheads. These are all laser cut, and there are almost 100 of them, added with around 300 spots of CA gel. All these needed doing was a small bevel added to the deck edge to conform to the curve. These are just glued in over the laser engraved bulwark positions. You'll note a few that are shorter. These are to accommodate some platforms which I'll added later. With the timberheads fitted, a sanding stick is used to level them to bulwark height. The laser marks on the timberheads themselves are for the rail which will be fitted in a moment.

DSC_1700.jpg

DSC_1702.jpg

DSC_1705.jpg

The timberhead rails are fitted in halves and these perfectly match the engraved marks. It's a real no-brainer! A few clamps are used to hold them whilst the white glue dries.

DSC_1706.jpg

Now the construction of the foremast step/well is built, all in pear wood. I've left the dark laser edge on many parts as I think it really lends itself to the colours of the timber, and breaks things up nicely.

DSC_1709.jpg

DSC_1711.jpg

That's it for today. More soon!

what a stunning build

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

catching up with your progress James........she's look'in awesome!  it's such an 'exact fit' kit........I wonder if a beginner could do well with it.   a very nice kit :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Looking great!  I really thought I was going to be finished with buying new kits but this one is so nice and different I might need to re-evaluate that plan.

5 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

catching up with your progress James........she's look'in awesome!  it's such an 'exact fit' kit........I wonder if a beginner could do well with it.   a very nice kit :) 

That's pretty much where this is pitched, but interesting enough a subject to appeal across the board. Nice to see such a kit with pearwood as standard too. The maple deck will be an option, and lime is standard.

10 hours ago, James H said:

That's it for today. More soon!

Beautiful boat...this one will be on my list for sure!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

As a beginner, I'm just building D'Agostini's' cross section of the Victory, as my first build,  I'm carefully following your build of Lady Isabelle. It is a bit daunting for a beginner !

I'm going to try it as soon as its available, with sails, but your build log will be invaluable: the methods of painting, sanding, varnishing (?), futur rigging, ... Please continue, your information will be invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

7 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

As a beginner, I'm just building D'Agostini's' cross section of the Victory, as my first build,  I'm carefully following your build of Lady Isabelle. It is a bit daunting for a beginner !

I'm going to try it as soon as its available, with sails, but your build log will be invaluable: the methods of painting, sanding, varnishing (?), futur rigging, ... Please continue, your information will be invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

Richard

Hi Richard,

You'll find this one a dream, and there will be plenty of help for you here with it. Any questions, then I'll do my best to answer them for you. 

5 minutes ago, James H said:

You'll find this one a dream, and there will be plenty of help for you here with it. Any questions, then I'll do my best to answer them for you. 

One main question. How long will I have to "dream" before I can get my hands on it.

Another question has to deal with Brexit, do I get it with out the UK charging me taxes since they're no longer in the EU.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Richard 

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

38 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

One main question. How long will I have to "dream" before I can get my hands on it.

Another question has to deal with Brexit, do I get it with out the UK charging me taxes since they're no longer in the EU.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see.

Richard 

About 2 months, give or take. 

you shouldn’t have tax problems with Brexit as the UK’s transition period is until the end of year. All current arrangements stay in place until at least then.