Lady Isabella by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Zulu prototype

3 hours ago, Suzdal said:

As a beginner, I'm just building D'Agostini's' cross section of the Victory, as my first build,  I'm carefully following your build of Lady Isabelle. It is a bit daunting for a beginner !

I'm going to try it as soon as its available, with sails, but your build log will be invaluable: the methods of painting, sanding, varnishing (?), futur rigging, ... Please continue, your information will be invaluable as far as I'm concerned.

Richard

Hi Richard, I haven't built a ship model for over 10 years (and even then am certainly no expert), and have re-started with one of Chris' other models HMS Speedy. I can say confidently that the kits are really well designed, well put together with good materials, and have a few 'fail safe' features in the design to ensure you get things square, etc. Chris has been very helpful and I think you will probably not go too far wrong with this kit. I certainly intend to buy one even though I would like to take on a scratch build and have limited space to display models in my home. It looks too good to pass on.

My philosophy is to enjoy the build and learn from mistakes. Take it slowly and ask questions and I'm sure you will do well.

In short, go for it!

35 minutes ago, NewbyMark said:

Hi Richard, I haven't built a ship model for over 10 years (and even then am certainly no expert), and have re-started with one of Chris' other models HMS Speedy. I can say confidently that the kits are really well designed, well put together with good materials, and have a few 'fail safe' features in the design to ensure you get things square, etc. Chris has been very helpful and I think you will probably not go too far wrong with this kit. I certainly intend to buy one even though I would like to take on a scratch build and have limited space to display models in my home. It looks too good to pass on.

My philosophy is to enjoy the build and learn from mistakes. Take it slowly and ask questions and I'm sure you will do well.

In short, go for it!

I'll be going for it as soon as it becomes available. My current build of the Victory cross section is a good learning experience, like always read ahead in the instructions and make sure you see where all the dependencies are on to what your doing at any given moment.

I can't wait for it to become available. After that I'll tackle with something with more rigging. Rigging doesn't scare me; I'll have to admit that planking makes me a bit anxious.

Richard

Edited by Suzdal

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

20 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

I'll be going for it as soon as it becomes available. My current build of the Victory cross section is a good learning experience, like always read ahead in the instructions and make sure you see where all the dependencies are on to what your doing at any given moment.

I can't wait for it to become available. After that I'll tackle with something with more rigging. Rigging doesn't scare me; I'll have to admit that planking makes me a bit anxious.

Richard

Rigging, for the most part, is easier than some think. Once all the blocks have been added to the masts and yards, it really is almost as simple as a 'joint the dots' drawing. Once shrouds and ratlines are out of the way, it is 'plain sailing'

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

Ok, this is the last update before I start making the masts. The hull is now complete.

First up, I fit the roof to the main superstructure. This is a single, laser-engraved piece, and I glue with CA gel because of the slight curve across the grain. This takes about 10 seconds with Gorilla Glue CA gel.

DSC_1712.jpg

This isn't too bust a deck, but the details are very nice. Aluminium tube is supplied to make the two stacks. One of these is cut and glued back together at an angle before they are both airbrushed in satin black paint. I don't know what the other little item is, but it was fun to make! 

DSC_1713.jpg

Whilst the pear and maple deck look great, it has a real warmth to it when a light coat of matt polyurethane varnish is applied. I do the first layer mostly with a brush, but them an airbrush is used for the final couple of light coats, especially in those areas where things are a little hard to reach, like the areas around the timberheads. I'm also careful not to get any varnish into the foremast step as this is suited to fit the mast quite tightly.

DSC_1714.jpg

DSC_1716.jpg

The bow also has this plate. I could've blackened it for more realism, but for the purpose of this build for the kit box art, I thought I would leave it bright as it's quite attractive. Nails are also cut down somewhat and applied into the holes I marked and drilled.

DSC_1719.jpg

The last of the MDF core is now hidden under the superstructure as it's now finally glued into place with CA gel. I have also added the PE eyebolts to the cargo hold lids, plus other roof details such as the mast crutch. Some edges have been left in char simply for the contrast with the rest of the timber.

DSC_1721.jpg

One thing (amongst many) that I like about this kit is the superb winch! Two laser-cut discs hold the whelps, and these are flanked with PE discs. The winch box is a PE-plated piece of MDF. The whole lot takes minutes to build. Tamiya paints were used to paint this.

DSC_1768.jpg

DSC_1770.jpg

The rudder is now rigged to the steering box and the wheel added. Here's the finished hull.

DSC_1772.jpg

DSC_1773.jpg

DSC_1775.jpg

DSC_1776.jpg

Onto masting and rigging now!

8 minutes ago, JToma said:

Impressive model. The more I see it the more I want it.

I suspect that you and I are not the only ones.

One problem I'm having is to translate all the technical terms in to products I can buy in France/Internet. Such as "matt polyurethane varnish".I did a google search and came up with

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VAL27651-Av-Polyurethane-Vernis-Mat-200ml/202177657484?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D63098d2ee2f145c8bb36efc44398039a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D324123542252%26itm%3D202177657484%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2386202%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

https://www.amazon.fr/VAL27651-Polyurethane-Varnish-Matte-200ml/dp/B00BATAAVO/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=mat+polyurethane+varnish&qid=1585945737&sr=8-4

I hope that is what James was talking about. Operating in a non english speaking country, things get lost in translation and purchasing.

Richard

Richard

Current build :  Victory cross section / DeAgostini, Lady Eleanor  Vanguard Models 

Other builds :   N scale computer controlled model railroad

36 minutes ago, Suzdal said:

One problem I'm having is to translate all the technical terms in to products I can buy in France/Internet. Such as "matt polyurethane varnish".I did a google search and came up with

https://www.ebay.fr/itm/VAL27651-Av-Polyurethane-Vernis-Mat-200ml/202177657484?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D63098d2ee2f145c8bb36efc44398039a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D324123542252%26itm%3D202177657484%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2386202%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWeb&_trksid=p2386202.c100677.m4598

https://www.amazon.fr/VAL27651-Polyurethane-Varnish-Matte-200ml/dp/B00BATAAVO/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_fr_FR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=mat+polyurethane+varnish&qid=1585945737&sr=8-4

I hope that is what James was talking about. Operating in a non english speaking country, things get lost in translation and purchasing.

Richard

This is what I used:

817gMgUHeyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, James H said:

One thing (amongst many) that I like about this kit is the superb winch! Two laser-cut discs hold the whelps, and these are flanked with PE discs. The winch box is a PE-plated piece of MDF. The whole lot takes minutes to build. Tamiya paints were used to paint this.

I'm loving this build, James! 

Do you need to prime or somehow prepare the brass parts before you paint them? Would acrylic paints work just as well also?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It's a gorgeous little boat, you have done great work with Chris's kit😀

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, Suzdal said:

Richard

seems like it would work. I use Wipe on poly but don't know if that's available where you are.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

6 hours ago, BobG said:

Do you need to prime or somehow prepare the brass parts before you paint them? Would acrylic paints work just as well also?

The easiest way for brass would be to blacken it by using Birchwood Casey Brass Black.  Many gunshops carry it as well as getting it online.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

10 hours ago, BobG said:

If you mean on the winch, then you don't really need to. I rarely prime metal, but as I was also wanting to seal/prime the MDF discs, I also sprayed the brass parts. 

10 hours ago, James H said:

I rarely prime metal, but as I was also wanting to seal/prime the MDF discs, I also sprayed the brass parts. 

That's interesting to hear, James. I always though that all metal needed to have a primer on it before top coating it with the final paint. 

Are you using the Tamiya Acrylic Paints in your airbrush? Since they have alcohol in them maybe that is why they do well on metal without primer....? I would think that completely water based acrylics, like Vallejo Acrylics, would not adhere as well on metal parts without a primer base but I'm just speculating....?? 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, BobG said:

That's interesting to hear, James. I always though that all metal needed to have a primer on it before top coating it with the final paint. 

Are you using the Tamiya Acrylic Paints in your airbrush? Since they have alcohol in them maybe that is why they do well on metal without primer....? I would think that completely water based acrylics, like Vallejo Acrylics, would not adhere as well on metal parts without a primer base but I'm just speculating....?? 

When I worked with plastic models for magazine work, I rarely primed.....whether I used lacquer, acrylic or enamel.

My only reason for primer was because I was using MDF for some parts, so I just blanket airbrushed all parts in that assembly. 

Please forgive me for how I jumped through the rig on this, but I needed to complete quickly, and finished she is!

The Zulu is a two-masted vessel, and the forward mast is supplied in square section walnut. This needs to be rounded off a little above deck height and then tapered to the required dimensions. I just use a simple sanding block for this purpose, and good quality 120 grit paper. I also make sure the end dimension is correct by checking against the mast top ring. These aren't glued on until the yards are in place as I just knew I'd struggle getting the parrels over them! Yard lift and Burton stay tackle. All tapered masts and yards etc. are given a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish, lightly sanding between coats.

DSC_1818.jpg

DSC_1819.jpg

DSC_1820.jpg

DSC_1829.jpg

DSC_1934.jpg

I needed to dye the sails so opted for RIT dye. Several photos of such vessels showed different colour sails, so I opted for the closest I could. Dyeing was straightforward, and they were then rinsed until the water ran clear, and left to dry. The various rig lines were added, and the yards also secured to the mainsail and aft sail. 

DSC_1921.jpg

DSC_1935.jpg

DSC_1936.jpg

DSC_1939.jpg

No photos of rig for this, but from fitting the sails, it only took a few hours to fully rig. No standing rig at all, so all was done with natural coloured thread. Watch out for this kit being released soon!

DSC_1947.jpg

DSC_1967.jpg

DSC_1968.jpg

DSC_1971.jpg

DSC_1974.jpg

DSC_1977.jpg

She sure is a beauty! I really like what you did with the dyed sails.

Do I spy (sorry for American dimensions) a 1/8” (or maybe 3.175mm) hand drill here?

DSC_1820.jpg

I have been on the lookout for one to fit some bits I have with those colored rings so I’m hoping it’s the same size collet. If so where did you find it?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, VTHokiEE said:

She sure is a beauty! I really like what you did with the dyed sails.

Do I spy (sorry for American dimensions) a 1/8” (or maybe 3.175mm) hand drill here?

I have been on the lookout for one to fit some bits I have with those colored rings so I’m hoping it’s the same size collet. If so where did you find it?

Thanks!

That's just a regular pin-vice/vise. I have a couple from different manufacturers and they have interchangeable collet sizes. I've had them years so I can't remember where I got them 🤔

Alas the search continues then. I have purchased a couple that claimed to be large enough and then when they arrived I found their specified maximum openings were quite generous 😞. For now I simply use my fingers 🙂.

A lovely fishing lugger James,  Chris and Vanguard have come up trumps again! 😁👍

Edited by Edwardkenway
Spelling

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

7 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

A lovely fishing lugger James,  Chris and Vanguard hav come up trumps again! 😁👍

Agreed. And if you fancy bringing out a Brixham Trawler kit in 1:64 Chris, to save me the bother of scratch building one, I would be very grateful! 

Great job on this build, James. Inspiring.

she's a sweet looking vessel James!  I've always wanted to do colored sails.......I have many pictures in my library.  the rigging is not too terribly complex..........the sails really enhance her :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Great looking boat. I am working on my Chris Craft right now and two other kits waiting, so this might be #4. I'm interested to see how much the kit will be.

Alan

Current build, Disar Models - Altsu Mendi Basque Tugboat. Kits on hand for next builds: Victory Models - Scottish Fishing Vessel Fifie: Vanguard Models - Zulu 'Lady Isabella': : Mantu Models - Trotamares Motor Schooner. Finished, Chris Craft Runabout.