HMS Cruiser by Wahka_est - Caldercraft - 1:64

2 minutes ago, mugje said:

The capstan looks very good and clean! Are you satisfied with the mini-lathe? Thinking about buying one myself.

Tnx!

Yes I am. Makes life much easier and boost my poor quality by hand. 

We had amazing discounts here as all hardware shops are competing for clients so i bought allmost all i need with 40% discount- didnt see myself not using that. Also most needed accessories.

Discount ends tomorrow but they dont sell on web :( 

2ED87338-01FD-4CDA-AA2D-E466843AD58A.jpeg

12FFC4A6-1CD1-4B27-BFDB-11B687A772F9.jpeg

3FE854B8-D460-444E-8C57-6E9A08FF21FB.jpeg

839E9FF8-154C-4364-872E-AFC045BD342C.jpeg

34 minutes ago, mugje said:

Great toys! That disc sander is the best tool I own...just want a lathe and a milling machine. But also need to create more space the put them somewhere...and money, and, and :D 

:D

addicrion to ship kits will move in to tools.... you just want to buy them.

for what you use the milling machine? I know its possible to do it with drill bench and cordinate table also.

15 hours ago, Wahka_est said:

:D

addicrion to ship kits will move in to tools.... you just want to buy them.

for what you use the milling machine? I know its possible to do it with drill bench and cordinate table also.

Not sure for what I will be using the milling machine :P , but want one! :D  A large deal of my working life I worked with lathes and milling machines, so it's kinda cool to have these in mini at home :D Also maybe the next build will be scratch, so then I certainly can use one. But the lathe is priority, because of al the masting etc. And yes you can use also a drill bench with a coordinates table, but I don't have a good drill bench for that, so better to buy a milling machine that I also can use for drilling

1 minute ago, Havelock said:

Impressive work, Wahka! Shame about the gunports for sure. I think a mini-lathe might be in my future.... :)

Tnx.

When you get addicted to the hobby then you get addicted to tools also.

They made huge inprovement in my quality. Shame that i hvent finished any build yet but have 3 so called ongoing :D 

Focus is on Cruiser for now.

27 minutes ago, Wahka_est said:

They made huge inprovement in my quality. Shame that i hvent finished any build yet but have 3 so called ongoing :D 

Ha, I also build plastic models and have 6 projects on going! :) Oh well.....

User: Havelock

Build Logs -> Current: Taurus-MS-1:64  -> Completed: Polaris-OcCre-1:50

Stash:  18th Century Longboat-MS-1:48

Some update.

Have been focusing on hull. Railings now sanded and painted. Bow fittings glued. Some minor paint corrections needed.

I disassembled some bow details and painted them black. Looks much better as i dont line plywood edges.

Paintscheme-i like it. And nice is that i havent seen same one yet(not that there is many blogs :) ).

Dry fitted deck equipment. Pumps and one grating still to be done. Rudder is also close to installation.

As general in pleased with outcome. Have redone some parts that got “hairy” with painting.

Still wondering when i should start with varnish. I guess the right answer is now.

Eyelets about 40pcs have been painted black so i cant start with those also. 

Cannons have been complitely off the table so far. Most pieces have been removed from sheets but need sanding etc. 

QUESTION-as im using admiralty paints, should i varnish painted details. It seems that varnish is allready there as its little white before mixing.

2A5931E9-7533-4A30-87CD-8F11CE84184C.jpeg

0EA3A3C7-26CA-44BD-9437-AD0F5AAE4842.jpeg

486D23A9-E025-4DBD-9717-CDA0D03B6A5F.jpeg

5C0D35C9-972E-4992-A778-5E97811B4912.jpeg

0489FBE8-57FB-46FF-A3DB-4E2F01D9BD28.jpeg

3172E547-697B-4747-8595-C0BCDFFA6880.jpeg

86C5CD87-4EB0-49E3-9CC4-D957DAAC2EFC.jpeg

6D920C71-D6AF-4763-B8DC-E9CED4F68562.jpeg

9A312849-DCF6-4D66-9B1C-43D0BB26FC9A.jpeg

A5D8F853-7626-42FB-83B4-52385F47D181.jpeg

DF1330B2-DDD1-4814-9DB7-957D30EA77C8.jpeg

816F47CF-57B8-4A58-85EC-6A824622B0AA.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Cant really focus on build cause of strange problem...

So we took a cat, 3-4 minths ild. Hes little satan. Starting from 23:00 he thinks its fun to go all mad and atttack and run around. I have to keep him wuiet so my 2y son dosent wake up.....

And here i am 1:33 am watching my vat and protecting the door that my son is sleeping behind so that the little satan would scratch it etc....

Only solution i see is to get dog also :D . Maybe then the satan will calm down a bit.

1 hour ago, Wahka_est said:

Only solution i see is to get dog also :D . Maybe then the satan will calm down a bit.

Actually, get a second kitten! That's what we did. They play together all the time. And yes it's usually at night :)

User: Havelock

Build Logs -> Current: Taurus-MS-1:64  -> Completed: Polaris-OcCre-1:50

Stash:  18th Century Longboat-MS-1:48

You might be surprized at what children will sleep through Wahka. They seem to sleep right through thunder storms, loud parties next door, and all kinds of other things that keep us older people awake!

Getting a dog may not work either. My cat and dog play together almost every evening, usually around 17:00. The cat is getting older now so it does not last as long as it used to. (She slaps the dog in the head to let him know play time is over). :blink: 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

9 hours ago, lmagna said:

They seem to sleep right through thunder storms, loud parties next door, and all kinds of other things that keep us older people awake!

When my son was two, he slept through an F-15 demonstration at an airshow.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

40 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

he slept through an F-15 demonstration at an airshow.

...but if the hinges on the nursery door slightly squeak while closing after you spent 45 minutes getting them back to sleep. well heaven help you better settle back in for at least another 45 minutes.

On 6/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Wahka_est said:

Thank you Keith and all others for your support.

i have decided not to redo ot as i not sure about my abilities. Wuality of my builds isnt so hreat that im confident about redoing this for now. 3 build that i have ongoing i concider learning processes.

I will push Jotika to give me carronades, they offered 40% discount on them but dosent seem fair to pay 60eur extra for their mistake.

If it helps, I think that all Cruiser Class brigs had a standard armament of 16 carronades (usually 32-Pounders) and 2 x 6-Pounder 'Chase guns'. If you went with this set up, your model would be more accurately depict her real life armament anyway.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

I bit the bullet and bought the carronades from Caldercraft for my Cruiser Class build. Glad I did. Even if I had wanted to keep the long guns, they are WAY too big, bordering on 18-24 lbers.

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

About progress.

2 of the olatformsnwjere deadeyes at the hull are, are now in place. Used brass wire to give it more strength-happy with result.

All pin platfroms are in place also. Had to drill all new holes as pins didnt fit.

Started with steel bands for masts. Apparently i have lot black paper provided by kit and bought new one. Painted it ironwork black before glueing with pva.

Little progress on yards also. Learned that first you should make middle part hexagon and then sand the yard to correct shape. Outcome would have been better.

Got rudder in place. Avoided it as i thought it would be nightmare-still hard but not nightmare. Irond bands still to be done.

Building tip. Made sanding stivks from hard plastic and i used discsander sandpaper that has glue on backside. Really easy to change the paper and no glueing. Now have to make smaller ones and must find cheaper sandpaper soni dont have to use discsander ones :D

Most deck fittings in place. Cabin missing and others will be added at later stage as i need room and sequence would be more correct.

Seems that wood bar Made with cnc for rudder is 2cm too long... no part number on drawings but that was one of the last parts on sheets. So have to shorten that one.

Admiral today after visiting harvour museum said that she would like me to build bigger ship next as she really liked the ones there as she definitely wants sails also. So have to look my storage what should suit her that i wouldnt have to build for years.....

A624D70F-651D-44EF-9063-4D61F8084ABE.jpeg

62C4E05E-B476-4AE9-ADA3-6EFB7861931D.jpeg

DEE556CA-3E55-48B6-842D-EE7B9E7A22A6.jpeg

1FD72654-6FFD-437B-A279-8CFDCC11283E.jpeg

D4594761-B5BD-4123-B45B-8027C35AEE8D.jpeg

52A4DEBA-DAF3-4957-94F3-ABB6F189D2F1.jpeg

338BDEA1-42EC-4A68-9153-BA07DD87664C.jpeg

9B56935C-3C78-4B1E-B323-B8B7F3B731FD.jpeg

8B55909E-6E2C-4605-B8E9-7C7F194B74EF.jpeg

My headaches trying to use Blenders guide for block rigging.

Have been strugelling with block knots. Found great instructions on site but never got them to work. So decided to try with bigger dimenson to find out whats the problem. So somehow with thicker rooe it came out great. Made more and more examples all good. Then went back to original rigging and disaster again. Was so desparate-WHY IT DOES NOT WORK....?

Then thought ok i have cord from my Terror build, lets try with that. Again, come out nicely. Started looking more into CC rooe and realized that it does not slide at all. I tried siezing with normal knots and again it was so tight. 
Summary: cant use CC rope for attatcking blocks to yards or eyelts as it does not slide at all. Maybe im just imcompitent but pile of used tread on table showed that i didnt give up easily.

So now i have nirmal sewing tread that i used for Terror and got from my father. Outcome is there. Covered brushed with dillutated pva and soon i can try if it loosens or not.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ignore the offset, yes it should be in the center. It's coming back to me now after a few years that there were some errors in those plans...

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

To be honest the instructions are quite bad and info is all over the drawings. But not all info is there and therefore you have to use books etc to get it allmost right.

This creates frustration but..... It reminds my old days as facade engineer when i didnt know anything and i jumped in water. This situations where you have to find stuff out yourself from books, forums articles will educate you the most.

The rigging drawings are unclear to me so I have all the needed books to understand how it should be for example. At some point you start understanding how all that works and why its there.

After that build im pretty sure I have gained much knowledge how sihps function and future builds are much more easier.

To summarize: for me its hard specially the rigging part. Location of some parts are also unclear as they are not marked on drawings. But eventually i will get there.

Regarding rigging knots I contacted well known designer who calmed me down and said basicly that on 1:64 scale you cant go nuts over all the knots. Also thats something i have read in the forum before. So I decided if after 5 tries i cant get it right then i will step a bit down on that particular knot and try to make it allmost the same.

Will post when theres something to show.

A yeah, i will redo that yard that is offset :D

Hi Wahka,

Your Cruiser is looking great. As for the rigging and the knots i am feeling your frustrations. Some times my knots have gripped so tightly before actually being pulled tight to the respective yard, that i have had to cut it off and start again. I also think that often using the 'correct' knot does not look right at scale size and the tab ends i just cannot cut close enough.

Might be worth using a simple 'granny' knot and then whipping with a thinner thread from the 'Gullermann' range. Scale seems to look better and it pulls tight more easily. This is what i have done with past models but am finding it a bit fiddly now. Think it is me as i used to do exactly the same detailed rig on small plastic kits many a year ago.

One other thing I wish I had done with the cruiser kit is to have researched the rigging much earlier. I used to do a whole rigging plan before completing the deck furniture. Due to not doing that I don't have the correct belaying points and missing a set of bits for behind the main mast. Drawings are awful in places and have missed cleat positions. Fixing more of these to the main mast has been very difficult with all shrouds and back stays etc. already rigged.   

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

29 minutes ago, Thunder said:

Hi Wahka,

Your Cruiser is looking great. As for the rigging and the knots i am feeling your frustrations. Some times my knots have gripped so tightly before actually being pulled tight to the respective yard, that i have had to cut it off and start again. I also think that often using the 'correct' knot does not look right at scale size and the tab ends i just cannot cut close enough.

Might be worth using a simple 'granny' knot and then whipping with a thinner thread from the 'Gullermann' range. Scale seems to look better and it pulls tight more easily. This is what i have done with past models but am finding it a bit fiddly now. Think it is me as i used to do exactly the same detailed rig on small plastic kits many a year ago.

One other thing I wish I had done with the cruiser kit is to have researched the rigging much earlier. I used to do a whole rigging plan before completing the deck furniture. Due to not doing that I don't have the correct belaying points and missing a set of bits for behind the main mast. Drawings are awful in places and have missed cleat positions. Fixing more of these to the main mast has been very difficult with all shrouds and back stays etc. already rigged.   

Im not alone with the frustriation and that a good feeling :) .

Reagarding rigging i have started to "summarize" all blocks info etc on to one drawing and also adding info from your build pluss from books to get it at least working.

Biggest issue i have is that there is little info about block and cleats on masts. Some info is complitely missing (cleats on masts for example).

Vahur

The cleats I missed were at the base of the main mast and are poorly shown on the belaying diagram on sheet 3 belaying points for 11,12 and 13. I think there should be bitts here like to the fore of the mast but no room to fit now as grating and pumps in the way. 

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: