I have made models most of my life, but rarely wooden boats and I am currently building Billings 50ft Steam Pinnace, ( sold as as HMS Renown). After doing some research I have found that the deck is planked in a different manner to the kit's plans. I realise that the kit's way of doing things is not an accurate one, so I want to follow real practice. As seen in the photo, the planks curve away from a king plank following the line of the bulwarks. My question is, what is the best way of doing it? I am guessing, lay the king plank, then starting at the outside, steam and pin the other planks. Any advice would be gratefully received by this 'newbie'!

deckplanking.png

• 5 weeks later...

I think you'll have to determine the type of king plank, if any, was used on the prototype. "Sprung" deck planking may be let into a stepped-sided king plank, or to each other, port and starboard, in a herringbone pattern, or, less commonly, butted to a straight-sided king plank as shown in the photo. this is not "best practice," however, because the planks come to a "feather edge" (points) which are difficult to caulk and tend to leak. That said, in modern construction where plywood decks are often covered with uncaulked teak sheathing to create the appearance of a true laid teak and stopping is merely placed in groves between the faux planks, flat-sided king planks are seen more often than in traditional construction.

Stepped king plank:

Figure_021.jpg

King plank detail

Building a Wooden Boat - Laying The Deck | wood sailboat in 2019 ...

You will have to make a drawn template to determine the layout of your covering boards, deck planks, and king plank. Planking should be bent using heat (a steam iron or hair dryer) as per Chuck Passaro's instructional videos and posts here on this forum. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chuck+passaro

Edited by Bob Cleek