I was given a foot locker full of many types of wood, but one is particularly unknown to me so does anyone have ideas of the type?

IMG_0729.thumb.jpeg.4bcc4651049f94674b27b36c6ccb771a.jpegThese are .5mm veneer 12" X 18" and there are 10- sheets. The image is approximately 2/3's of a sheet.

Any Ideas

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Will,

Lovely grain, very much like the figuring  - my guess is walnut, but not the grade usually found in model ship building. As a veneer there is a beautiful box crying out to be encased in this........ my fingers and creative juices are itching in anticipation, you are one lucky bunny to have this to play with - good luck!  (oh so jealous!)

Cheers,

Graham

• 5 weeks later...

Based on the picture alone, my wild guess would be spalted satin walnut.  https://www.wood-database.com/sweetgum/

Satin walnut is not a walnut at all, but liquidambar, or "sweetgum" in the US. (No relation to Australian "gums.") The spalting (a fungus) causes the black figuring. It's used in fine custom furniture and is an excellent modeling wood, though spalted stock is usually reserved for its appearance. The liquidambar or sweetgum tree is widely distributed in the US and often planted as an ornamental, although it has a nasty habit of horizontal root growth that destroys sidewalks. It's not commercially milled much, so you usually have to cut your own and mill it. It's often found in municipal woodpiles and tree services will sometimes have logs available.

https://www.wood-database.com/sweetgum/

• 10542d1252028035-spalted-walnut-gnarly-one5.jpg

Whatever it is, it's beautiful! A coat of poly, put a frame around it, and hang it on the wall. One could look at that for hours and not tire of it. 

by comparison, I was told these werIMG_20200417_093533.thumb.jpg.8417ec63efa27fe45a62f471071f29ba.jpge (?true ) african walnut, but I stand to be corrected

IMG_20200417_093549.jpg

IMG_20200417_093610.jpg

IMG_20200417_093620.jpg

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section

• 4 weeks later...

thank you for info

current build- Swan ,scratch

on shelf,Rattlesnake, Alert semi scratch,Le Coureur,, Fubbs scratch

completed: nostrum mare,victory(Corel), san felipe, sovereign of the seas, sicilian  cargo boat ,royal yacht caroline, armed pinnace, charles morgan whaler, galilee boat, wappen von hamburg, la reale (Dusek), amerigo vespucci, oneida (semi scratch) diane, great harry-elizabethan galleon (semi scratch), agammemnon, hanna (scratch).19th cent. shipyard diorama (Constructo), picket boat, victory bow section