US Brig Syren by NovaStorm - Model Shipways - 1:64

:omg:   only four more tackles to finish rigging the carronades. Man that is a lot of work! By the time you reshape the kit 2mm blocks including filing a grove for the rope to run in and then all the seizing and threading... hooks,,,

Haven't glued in all the cheesed ropes yet. Want to make sure I have room for the ladders up the bulwarks to the rail.

IMG_5539.jpg.b640bf8f251b9651f76334f250cf1c63.jpg

IMG_5549.thumb.jpg.3baec1af03fc13f8dfd56d9afeb49752.jpgIMG_5549a.jpg.77d013a144f94ebc23b57f8f71a3b0e7.jpg

Gorgeous!!!! I know what you mean about the blocks and hooks...... Don't want to do that again :piratetongueor4:

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

On 10/14/2020 at 2:52 PM, Overworked724 said:

Outstanding, Robin. 👍🏽️ Such a clean and crisp build. 

Agreed!  

Rigging the whole battery with all the details is a lot of work, but the end result clearly is worth the effort! It looks fantastic!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Cheers all thank you for the great comments. I know I've made a couple of newbie mistakes on the carronade rigging. The blocks are not actually oriented the correct way as per the illustration's and possibly the windings on the cheesed ropes should go the opposite way. It is a learning experience though and one I will take forward for future builds. In the end I kinda wanted to mix it up a little anyway and feel pretty happy now with the result.  

Steven it is great to hear from you, I am really enjoying watching your build also. Your furniture is really looking good and bringing everything together nicely. Stay safe all.

Regards, Robin ~

Uh Oh....I see a slight scratch on the 3rd board starboard of the main mast hole!  I think you might need redo the entire deck!  :stunned:  (kidding)

Remind me again - is your deck made of pear or boxwood?  And did you prestain it?  It looks fantastic!

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

1 hour ago, Overworked724 said:

It looks fantastic!

It really does.

1 hour ago, Overworked724 said:

Uh Oh....I see a slight scratch on the 3rd board starboard of the main mast hole!

Got it Pat thanks for pointing it out ;)  All fixed see here

2 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Remind me again - is your deck made of pear or boxwood?

The deck is Swiss Pear, I had a friend cut the deck planks for me and he did a fantastic job. I pooled tung oil over all and after several hours it sunk right in leaving a nice sheen. I repeated that again couple of weeks later. Then I picked up a proxon FET and cut up some pear for the furniture. Wonderful wood to work with. 

12 minutes ago, Justin P. said:

It really does.

Thanks so much Justin, I've been picking at it all for a while now, hopefully I can pull it off to the finish. Rigging I don't think is going to be one of my strong points. We will see  :)  Cheers ~

On 10/23/2020 at 12:40 AM, Retired guy said:

Wow brilliantly done mate :imNotWorthy:

Regards

Richard

Richard :) is great to hear from you! 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:57 AM, abelson said:

Although I have yet to use it, pear wood definitely makes a difference in the crispness of the work.

Steven, I really love the pear to work with. Now if a finishing sander would just drop out of the sky I'd be all set  ;) 

I took a relaxing go at the binnacle today. Lots of details still to add. I didn't follow the plans exactly and made my own parts. It sits 1/16 higher than the plans but I don't think I will redo it now. The capstan (pic 2) I am going to redo 1/16 higher and wider. 

IMG_5594.jpg.3f56cab01b05332e946198448923ea15.jpgIMG_5602.jpg.ff35a1ad2212373ea95a2d9247355014.jpg   

Making whelps for a new capstan the old fashion way ;)  As I am not a capstan expert any suggestions, or do they look reasonable enough? I saw the discrepancy between the instructions and the plans and choose to go with the instructions and kit parts on the red one. To small and narrow imo. Will see what the new one comes out like... Cheers ~ 

IMG_5621a.thumb.jpg.1b2412777610cfe91d1c2f730cc10278.jpg

Red one is upside down just to check size difference. 

Much happier after seeing Wally's I knew mine was going to bug me. The wider looks so much better, also 1/16 higher. I will paint it red and add the blocks in black, with a few bolts in the disk on top of the head. I am  glad I redid it :) 

IMG_5635.jpg.2ce7ebf799a309f77b873d7cd1d441ae.jpgIMG_5645.jpg.f0da2661e8f42f0435e854d4c25695a5.jpg

Happy to have redone the capstan. It looks a bit like a candy cane tho lol. In fact from a couple feet back viewing the whole ship it looks great. 

I also got the doors stuck on my companionway. I made hinges with a thin brass sheet I had, the kit ones are so thick. Added a few bits here and there, moving along slowly. Cheers ~

IMG_5718.jpg.f74a058add86413f004fcf94e8ac3118.jpgIMG_5722.jpg.e9cc4531f0281173f3b2f2ac421ded7c.jpgIMG_5715.jpg.4ed4b817d7bce9bfa1c7c9d7235ceff5.jpg

It's looking great Robin! The black chocks contrasts well with the red and they fit it perfectly! 

Also those hinges look very realistic!!

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf:

6 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

It's looking great Robin! The black chocks contrasts well with the red and they fit it perfectly! 

Also those hinges look very realistic!!

Thanks Wally, I think yours is looking great and I like how we are working on the same pieces at the same time. 

Cheers thanks for the great comment.  :) 

Thanks to everyone for all the likes as well, all helps keep the juices flowing.

This guy is worse than the admiral, now he's telling me I might have to redo the pumps cross bar! Geez  ;) 

IMG_5739.jpg.926906c061aac0b18c894abb6da4b188.jpg

1 hour ago, Gahm said:

Your combination of companionway and capstan looks fantastic! Going with pear wood was a very good decision!

Thomas

Thank you Thomas appreciate you checking in :)  agreed the pear is looking good. After seeing Wally's binnacle I think I  will go with making a new one in pear also unpainted. I will think about painting the wheel frame and fife rail instead, that should tie all the red together nicely. I have also ordered the master Korabel boat kit having seen how incredible it looks on yours! I plan on having it on deck on the gallows. Hopefully it will work out, will see. I will have to cut pear to build it also sooo... Oh and while I was at it I also ordered this kit which I just couldn't resist for a future build. 

By MarisStella, The Bracera 1/32

06_BraceraA4Fixed_1500x1000_72be145f-ab0f-424f-a492-8b537aa1cc4e_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.60e7c9522e145b3fadac408a061a45fc.jpg 

3 hours ago, Gahm said:

I can see why you ordered this kit . . . I would love to build that one myself! 👍

Thomas

I knew you would agree and like it too Thomas. It will be a lot of fun and a little bit different in type or style of build. 

Cheers ~ 

15 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

I plan on having it on deck on the gallows

Hi Robin, pls pardon my lack of nautical understanding 😅, but what does this mean? 

Are you planning to put the jolly boat on the longboat? Do you have any reference pictures of this? 

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

Complete:

On the shelf: