US Brig Syren by NovaStorm - Model Shipways - 1:64

Question on mast rings?

I don't like the pin stripe tape that the kit supplied to use for mast rings. It is very shiny unlike anything else in the build. While I have searched and read about folks using paper to make them I am curious as to the longevity of paper ones. I did up an experiment seen in the pic below. I used a sharpie permanent marker to color a strip of matt photo paper used in the lower ring test. The second ring above it is from the pin strip tape which I will not be using. Do you think a sharpie marker is good enough to use or should I go with paint? What do you use if making them with paper and how do you color it?  I stained the bit of dowel after to see if the sharpie would run from the stain and it appears it has not. Your thought would be appreciated!

IMG_6289.jpg.1012ecadc739e6fd30ec51ebc91be1d4.jpg

2 minutes ago, svein erik said:

Hi,

i use line tape, used on wyteboard , after installing you can dust om some pigments so it looks like iron.

Svein this is interesting. I think my mother used it years ago as a commercial artist. When you say you dust on a pigment could you be a little more specific. Is the pigment you use in a powder form. I will do some searching online. Thanks for your excellent response. 

Working on the bowsprit, jibboom and related today. By the time we add the flying jibboom onto the jibboom this things gonna be a mile long. Added two working sheaves into the jibboom also. Still a ways to go but here are a couple pics. 

IMG_6278.thumb.jpg.435c65638e1332bbe031697b9313a05b.jpgIMG_6292.jpg.d49e480c0f9249c908ddda281e2d739c.jpgIMG_6295.jpg.96b4766c098125b2329f5113cd237fce.jpgIMG_6303.jpg.0771ee8b3453d4a792b6a8e25f14efbb.jpg

11 minutes ago, abelson said:

Looking real good. I used the pin stripe tape for the bow sprit and painted it black.

Cheers Steven, I've gone with the (photo) paper in the end. Since it is acid free hopefully it will last as long as anything. 

Good to hear how others tackled them to.  Thanks for chipping in  :) 

IMG_6312.thumb.jpg.a0632a5ab519509b951763735fb23dcb.jpg

Mustafa thank you my friend :) 

Ok here is my first attempt at carving for the transom decoration. Now don't laugh I've never done carving before and I made up my own design. It cracked after I had It all done but I should be able to do better next time. It is a tad large so I think I will try next one a little smaller. I've ordered some half decent micro chisels from flexcut which I am looking forward to trying also.

Cheers ~ 

IMG_6361a.jpg.5847ca6122ce59ecdf36d7c59818edee.jpg 

Edited by NovaStorm

• 2 weeks later...

Just stumbled onto your log and thought I'd follow along. Many great ideas and techniques that i'll put to good use. Many thanks. Your Syren is looking very nice can't wait to see more.

Will  :pirate41:

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Bloody nice work for your first try, Robin.  From what I've seen, carving the reliefs is delicate work...I think it adds a ton of warmth and realism to the model.  SOOOO much better than the brittania pieces.

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

4 hours ago, niwotwill said:

Just stumbled onto your log and thought I'd follow along. Many great ideas and techniques that i'll put to good use. Many thanks. Your Syren is looking very nice can't wait to see more.

Will  :pirate41:

Will thanks for dropping in and such a great comment, I certainly appreciate it. Just taking a break for Christmas and waiting on some micro chisels to arrive. Merry Christmas to you and yours, will be in touch :) 

2 hours ago, Overworked724 said:

Bloody nice work for your first try, Robin.  From what I've seen, carving the reliefs is delicate work...I think it adds a ton of warmth and realism to the model.  SOOOO much better than the brittania pieces.

Thanks Pat, I had put off trying to do the carvings long enough that it was finally time to give it a go. Can't wait to try some new flexcut chisels I've ordered for it. Hopefully if I keep it simple I can pull it off  ;) Cheers and Merry Xmas to you and yours!

On 12/5/2020 at 6:44 AM, NovaStorm said:

Question on mast rings?....Your thought would be appreciated!

Just offering my thoughts. I used Tamiya masking tape colored with a sharpie. The texture of the tape combined with the ink gave a pretty convincing look. Was easy to work with, too. That was how I did the Sultana.  

Edited by Overworked724

11 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

Just offering my thoughts. I used Tamiya masking tape colored with a sharpie. The texture of the tape combined with the ink gave a pretty convincing look. Was easy to work with, too. That was how I did the Sultana.

Cheers Pat, I will be giving that a try. I've got the tape so it couldn't be any easier :)  

I laid down a piece on a piece of plastic file folder. Colored it with the Sharpie (Black magic marker). Then used a straight edge razor and metal ruler to cut the slices I needed. Tweezers to pull up the section and I typically trimmed the ends using scissors just to ensure none of the tape was crimped. Worked pretty good. Nice thing is it shapes well and you can overlap it. Just try to keep the end piece in a blind spot when applying. 

Loving your build, Robin!

16 minutes ago, Overworked724 said:

Worked pretty good. Nice thing is it shapes well and you can overlap it.

Thanks again Pat, I like the idea that you can shape it a bit. It will be nice to be able to do that. I will try it next chance I get. 

Cheers, Robin ~

Hey Robin I just read Patricks log about using Sculpy to make carronade wheels and thought I'd try to make stern carvings with Sculpy. Wife said I could use oven. Don't make a mess. Lets give it a go and see how we do, Hey!

She's coming along wonderfully

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Stay well and stay safe

Will :pirate41:

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 12/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, Overworked724 said:

Pat funny the pains we go through. My first build I was looking for things I could use and do for it constantly where ever I was lol. 

Merry Christmas :) 

3 hours ago, niwotwill said:

Hey Robin I just read Patricks log about using Sculpy to make carronade wheels and thought I'd try to make stern carvings with Sculpy

Wood is my preferred medium for the decor only because that is what they used on these ships. But I did buy some sculpy before I had micro chisels, thinking I would try it for the decoration. It will be interested to see how you do Will. I may try it if the carving doesn't work out but I want to try that first. 

It will be a whole new skill set I'm sure. Merry Christmas to you and the Admiral :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took a nice break from the shipyard over Xmas and New Years. Waited patiently for my micro chisels to finally arrive and yesterday had another go at carving. 

Would appreciate your opinion on the carvings. Do you think they are to large or do they look ok to you? I have gone with my own design as I don't think it should matter and it tends to make it more satisfying on a personal level. 

The carving was done in three pieces and can be cleaned up a bit more. 

IMG_6512.jpg.4cb20adbf9fe8f1e22496aad00eceaca.jpgIMG_6516.jpg.34dc8802baaf481f85a00b099fa452b7.jpg

The carvings look really good, Robin. The leaf veins look very realistic. 

This is just my opinion, but would you be able to carve a second set that gradually gets smaller when approaching the sides (like towards the end of carvings)? Would be nice to see comparisons if it is possible! Do you plan on having the leaf pattern on all the droplets/leaves? That may change the perspective of size as well

Also, I noticed the Master Korabel boat in the background. She looks very nice 🙂

And wishing you a Happy New Year!

Edited by WalrusGuy

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

10 minutes ago, mtbediz said:

Happy new year.

Mustafa, is good to hear from you :) Happy New Year back to you and yours!

9 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

This is just my opinion, but would you be able to carve a second set that gradually gets smaller when approaching the sides (like towards the end of carvings)?

Wally I think I will do what you are suggesting. I will have another go and try and get it going smaller as it goes out from the center and down the sides so to speak. The new micro chisels I just got from Flexcut are great and I haven't even cut myself yet ;) 

18 minutes ago, WalrusGuy said:

Also, I noticed the Master Korabel boat in the background. She looks very nice 🙂

Yes I got the admiral an easel and all the painting stuff to go with it for xmas so while she was playing with that ... Love the job you did on the scratch one  you did. I am still planning to do the same also. My pear wood is getting pretty low so I am trying to decide if I should find some more or if I will have enough. I am also looking at maybe picking up the Byrnes Thickness Sander decisions, decisions ~ 

3 hours ago, NovaStorm said:

Would appreciate your opinion on the carvings.

I don't really have any expertise to offer, but will say that I think you've done a nice job.   I have no idea how I'm going to approach this particular step myself so if I get even close to something as nice as this Ill be happy!  The important thing is that you like them.   Are they permanently mounted?   Perhaps only fix them temporarily and give yourself time to look at them for awhile before making a commitment?   

I do notice you haven't got your lettering on...   I was thinking about this and how Id better get it on before it becomes harder to do with more of the deck components added...   can I ask if there is a reason you are waiting?   Something I should consider? 

1 hour ago, Justin P. said:

I do notice you haven't got your lettering on...   I was thinking about this and how Id better get it on before it becomes harder to do with more of the deck components added...   can I ask if there is a reason you are waiting?   Something I should consider? 

I actually had the lettering done quite a while ago Justin. I mounted it on a board so it is easy to install and I also found it makes it stand out better which I liked. I left it off while I was working on the port lids etc. but other than that it could go on. Wally convinced me that the carvings should be a bit more slender so I am now carving and reworking at an attempt to get them right. It is going to look a lot better they are just to bold as they stand now. Appreciate your feedback. I think I'm on the right track it is just a matter of scale. Your build might be the farthest along of the lot of us at the moment.