a birdsmouth -a traditional bench fixture with an accessory

Hello,  modelers may find this traditional bench fixture useful.

My daughter is a professional artist, and she asked me to make a birdsmouth for her bench.  So I bodged this together in  few minutes, and I thought she might find a hold-down claw useful while sawing and grinding out shapes.  The claw is just an arched piece of hardwood that is held by a toilet bolt & wingnut, and it can be located in the notches on either side of wooden table.  When it wears out from strokes of the saw blade or other tool, it's just a matter of cutting a new one.

birdmouth - Edited.jpg

As the saying goes: why didn't I think of that before?  With my weakening grip from MD the clamp really makes using my jewelers saw much easier.  THANKS.

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Dave; As always I keep learning about new jigs, etc. Great idea! Thank you for posting...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

2 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

As the saying goes: why didn't I think of that before?  With my weakening grip from MD the clamp really makes using my jewelers saw much easier.  THANKS.

You're welcome.  You could make the fixture larger and add more notches to locate additional claws.  You could also use larger knobs on the toilet bolt that are easier to manipulate. The t-bolts are available in 1/4-20 or 5/16-18 sizes and different lengths.