Canadian Pacific Wood Passenger Cars, by Realworkingsailor, Scratch Built, Kit Bashed 1:87

brake systems1.bmp

I'm not sure this will open. First file is 7Meg, this one is about a Meg.

Three older brake systems.

Edited by Canute

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Over the last couple of days, I've managed a good bit of the painting, thanks to some better weather (although today is a literal washout). I should start off by mentioning that the primer was rattle can Tamiya grey surface primer, a nice go-to paint.

I lack air brushing facilities in my house (something I hope to remedy in the future), so all of the car's exterior paintwork will be done by rattle can. Not the best, but I can make it work, but it means to avoid gassing myself out of the house, the majority of the painting must be done outside (fair weather only!).

The CPR tuscan red is Scalecoat II lacquer. This can be a bit tricky to spray with a rattle can. I find the trick is to be moving fast (considerably faster than with other brands of rattle can or with an airbrush) to avoid heavy paint build-up and to keep the coats thin. The paint on the roof is a flat black from Tamiya.

IMG_1647.thumb.JPG.0c2807f85b2bf434b5830910d1967094.JPGIMG_1648.thumb.JPG.af4fd68278f0003a7d1779624a6e1305.JPG

If the tuscan looks a bit speckly in places, it's due to the Scalecoat II being a gloss paint, which is great in that no gloss coat will be needed prior to doing the lettering, but it reflects the light from my flash. In person, it looks much better. Even though it's been a couple of days, I need to give it a bit more drying time before I tackle masking and painting the underframe. The interior will be done separately at a later point in time, once my seats have arrived and been assembled, so it still glares white behind the windows! 

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Paint job looks good,  Andy.  Yep, Scalecoat in either formulation will dry to a gloss. Great for decalling.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

nice progress Andy....paint looks really good :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Andy, this is live rolling stock correct? I mean we are going to get to see this live on the rails?

It's absolutely gorgeous....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, Egilman said:

Andy, this is live rolling stock correct? I mean we are going to get to see this live on the rails?

It's absolutely gorgeous....

Thanks!

Although I don’t have a home layout at the moment (still in the planning stages), I do have access to a club layout. So when this covid stuff has calmed down, I will definitely get some photos and video of the car in operation. 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Loving that paintwork  "Boy do I remember a similar colour  - BR Red to be exact"   when I  painted that  slepper carriage I told you about.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Time for a small progress update.

The underside has been painted black and lettering has been largely finished, both sides. The decals came from Black Cat Publishing. Up until the 1930s or so, CPR used gold leaf (actual gold leaf!) lettering on their passenger equipment, and even on their dedicated passenger locomotives too. As a cost saving measure the lettering was switched to what is known as Dulux Gold, a more yellow-ochre colour. Personally, I prefer the Dulux colour better as it adds a nice contrast to the dark tuscan red (it stands out a bit more, the gold leaf gets a little lost at any kind of distant viewing).

I have numbered the car #1548. One of three 15XX series cars assigned to the Dominion Atlantic, the others were 1544 and 1551.

IMG_1685.thumb.JPG.a2f3214b035c6c69d306bad600dacb4d.JPG

The decal set even includes service, inspection and test data stencils for the underbody appliances and tanks (you can just make them out on the two air tanks at the centre of the car).

IMG_1683.thumb.JPG.735af266b13066a8a9c3b5010a3a5ac2.JPG

A few more end details; the diaphragms have been added (also leftovers from those infallible Branchline kits). The small car number on the door was a lot of "fun" to apply as all the numbers had to be put on individually (they're about 1mm in height).

IMG_1686.thumb.JPG.3b90cacb0afb5c2003867271deb337fc.JPG

All that remains to be added to the car exterior are the safety chains and hooks. These will be mounted on either side of the coupler. After the chains are on, the car will needs a little touch up (there are a couple of tiny nicks in the paint) as well as a little dusting/cleaning before a coat of Dulcoat is added to seal everything nicely. Then it's on to the windows!

Still no sign of my seats yet.... I expect it will be a couple more weeks... maybe...?

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Andy, the CP livery is top notch and your rendition is dead on. Love all the details you've got so far. Can't wait to see it with a full interior.  👍

Ken

It definitely looks the part, "HONEY, I shrunk the Railroad!"

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

......yea,   like some of the decals @ 1:72 scale.........they can be a pain too ;)   she's look'in good Andy........the exterior is really sweet!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

good morning Andy 

that looks fantastic, sorry, i wasnt aware of you doing any build logs, but then again, lots o things i dont know any more, hope you are keeping well, send you a PM later

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks everyone for the kind comments and likes. I wish I had an update, but things are on a bit of a pause while waiting for parts (and the recent spell of unseasonably hot weather!). 

About the only thing I’ve received from Walthers was a customer satisfaction survey in my e-mail. For giggles I decided to go through it.

The first question:

“Have you received your order? Y/N“

Of course I clicked “No”

”Thank you for your feedback, we’ll contact you again in a few weeks”

*blink*
*blink*
Bwahahaha 😝

I think I’ve been stuck at home too long! 🤪

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

You're too easily amused, Andy. Looks like something I'd do. Looking forward to your next update.

Ken

made 'em think.....didn't ya?!?!?  ;)   I had the same trouble with 1001 Hobbies in France....took a month a Sundays to get my order...........an in the middle of it all,  they sent me a survey :wacko:.   I didn't fill it out.......I e-mailed them.......had just as much fun! :D   the car's look'in great Andy.......

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I am enjoying following this thread! I was born in Canada and many relatives worked for CP, CN was not mentioned in polite company. The family story was we didn't have blood in our veins but locomotive smoke. I had an Uncle who was an executive with CP and traveled by train from coast to coast and spend much of his time building railroad models on his trips. Sure wish I had one or two. 

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

made 'em think.....didn't ya?!?!?  ;)   I had the same trouble with 1001 Hobbies in France....took a month a Sundays to get my order...........an in the middle of it all,  they sent me a survey :wacko:.   I didn't fill it out.......I e-mailed them.......had just as much fun! :D   the car's look'in great Andy.......

Don't feel bad, Denis. I know several of us who have ordered from 1001 Hobbies and took over a month to get it.  And this was well before lockdown.  And yeah, they have the guts to as for a survey.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So... the strangest thing happened today.... my seats have arrived at last!

I was beginning to lose hope, but by some miracle they found their way to my mailbox. I wish they could tell me about all the (mis)adventures they had on their long (and possibly far roundabout) journey, but I will just have to satisfy myself that they are here, now, and that’s all that matters.

Order placed April 28th, shipped May 1st... arrived June 9th.... From Milwaukee to Mansfield (Ontario!) in six weeks.... I think one could get there faster by walking!

What a truly bizarre world we find ourselves in!

For comparison, I ordered some sweet corn seeds (for a summer project 😁) from a company in Brandon, Manitoba, on May 25th. International borders not withstanding, as the crow flies it is, suffice it to say, a tad further away than Milwaukee. My seeds made it here on June 1st... um... hmmm... 

Anyway, it’s not really good modelling weather at the moment (hot and sunny out😎), so the delay in building will continue. But in the off chance there’s a day when the weather proves more favourable for indoor projects, work will resume. Stay tuned!

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

37 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

From Milwaukee to Mansfield (Ontario!) in six weeks

But Andy, first they had to fell the tree, carve out the dugout canoe, season it, then paddle down the Great Lakes to you.  And you know how treacherous those Lakes can get ! 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

59 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

Order placed April 28th, shipped May 1st... arrived June 9th.... From Milwaukee to Mansfield (Ontario!) in six weeks.... I think one could get there faster by walking!

From Middlebranch, Ohio to Graham, Washington; Ordered March 11th arrived June 4th almost 8 weeks? they must have sent it by pony express....

I think the virus has attacked the mail service worse than anything else.... My F-104 wheels are still in customs in NY....

Quote:

18 minutes ago, Egilman said:

they must have sent it by pony express....

Probably had to use pack mules to get over Snoqualmie Pass 

The last couple of days have seen some slightly cooler (albeit no less sunny) weather. I've begun work on the seating... although... some assembly required. The Grandt Line seats are great, and although they are a D&RGW prototype (that's Denver and Rio Grande Western Railway for the non-railway types), they are about the only proper walk-over type seats out there. Most of the other available seats are the "sleepy hollow" streamliner seats of a much later era. For those unfamiliar, walkover seats could be set up to face forwards or backwards by moving (walking over) the seat back. 

IMG_1718.thumb.JPG.f168d98a0a5f7eac52b2fdd1e6522b97.JPG

The seats consist of a beige moulded seat and back, and grey moulded armrests and legs. And as you can see by the 1cm grid on the cutting mat, they are not particularly large. There is a limit to how many I can make in one sitting without going crosseyed!

IMG_1719.thumb.JPG.899153f79a94bfcdccc2b41ab572575f.JPG

The first few finished examples. These are just dry-fit on the car floor for now. The actual spacing with have to be carefully marked out in conjunction with the windows, and the centre aisle. 

Hmm... I think that bulkhead needs some attending to as well... it's awfully curvy.... 

Andy

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

are the seat worth the 6 week delay, they look very good 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

......and 6 feet apart?  {had to ask :wacko:}    look'in good at any rate  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: