Chuck

Social Distancing!!! Social Media Distancing??? Take the "2 build log challenge"!!!.

Social Distancing is a real bummer!!!   Pandemic!!!  No more hugs from my daughter.  With six of us hunkered down in our home I have learned a lot watching my kids.   They havent lost a beat with their friends and have probably made quite a few new ones.   But all done online and never putting their phones down.   But they are driving me a bit nuts.  And its only been a few days.  We may kill each other before this is over.  But that is another story.

Anyway, I looked at some data on MSW.  I have been for some time now and I see a problem that afflicts large online communities like MSW.  I know its long but please read - on

I challenge you to do the "2 build log challenge".

The data says, we have many long time active members who are very active.  But they are mostly active within their own already established friend-groups.  Many have met a dozen or so members and its a great place to socialize among them.   We love our active friend-groups on MSW it is our life-blood.  They post on each others logs and enjoy the site very much and occasionally may post elsewhere.

----We also have many long standing members who are active, actually very active.  BUT their activity is almost always limited to posts within their own build logs and seldom anywhere else.  There are plenty of responses from other members in your logs but beyond this, you rarely if ever post on those of others.  This is very prevalent and you would not believe how often this occurs.

---And lastly and most worrisome for me,  we have many, many new members who have also started their own build logs.  They were probably nervous and anxious about doing so.  Its always tough to join a group and take the plunge.  Sadly these new members dont gain much traction and their logs see little to no activity beyond their own posts.  This could go on for weeks or even months before this new member decides to give up and leave the site.  This has to have a negative feeling after you took a chance and started a log with the hope of getting to know some new people and having some fun socially online enjoying ship models. 

So I propose a challenge, especially in this time of social distancing.  I would like every member who falls into any one of these categories, including you lurkers who have yet to post at all.

The "2 build log challenge"

I would ask that all of you select just two........only two......new build logs that you have never looked at before.  Hopefully those that have not received a lot of activity by our newer members and click "follow" this log.   I would ask that all of you pick two build logs from possibly a new member and actually post some words of encouragement.   Not just once..... but continue to follow these two logs and help make this site even more social.   Make a new friend.  Dont just read through them and hit the like button.  Actually post something....:)

SOCIAL MEDIA DISTANCING.....this does not exist and you wont get the cooties.   So even though we have to practice this in the real world now, we dont have to do it on MSW.  

So please take me up on this challenge....Take the "TWO BUILD LOG CHALLENGE" and  make someone new to MSW forget the scary real word stuff going on for just a short while.  And you new members should take the "Two build log challenge as well".

33 minutes ago, Chuck said:

So please take me up on this challenge....Take the "TWO BUILD LOG CHALLENGE" and  make someone new to MSW forget the scary real word stuff going on for just a short while.  And you new members should take the "Two build log challenge as well".

Thank you very much, Chuck. It's very thoughtful of you. Everything you said is very true and reaching out and supporting each other here is something we can all safely do.

We have been officially ordered to shelter in place here in Sacramento. I would encourage everyone to remember to be as supportive as safely possible to those most vulnerable in our neighborhoods and communities as well. The world needs all the compassion it get right now. My wife and I take long walks together and are have been making a point of  saying hello and sometimes chatting those people we pass by while staying safely apart. We think it helps a little bit to keep us connected. We're all in the same boat and many people are scared. We can do a lot of little things to help reassure each other while we weather the storm.

Please be calm, safe and well my friends.

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Pick a couple of build logs....are you up to the challenge. :)

I've already been doing that but I'm going to do a couple more. It's a great idea and I'm all in! 👍

Not really beyond just browsing around and taking a look!!!!

And yes the kids and fam are driving me nuts.  It used to be just me and the dog and I would get a lot accomplished each day.  Now I cant even pee when I have to.  There is always.....I mean always, every time....somebody else in the bathroom.  I cant catch a break.   We are gonna kill each in about a week. LOL.   But seriously its not all bad.

I think it’s a great idea as well, nothing is more encouraging than having someone comment. It’s different for everyone, but I appreciate the constructive critiques as well. It helps one grow and feel like you’re part of the community.

Great idea Chuck. I think I'll pick a couple of people from the New Member introductions section and follow their builds. Or maybe more than two.

16 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:
24 minutes ago, BobG said:

😂 I used to just go pee behind the garage when that would happen!

One of the advantages of living in the boonies 😁

Not just in the boonies - so long as the neighbours can't see, who's to know? And urine is good for your fruit trees; good minerals there, and urea - so long as you don't overdo it on a particular one and overload it with nutrients.

Steven

I like to think I do it......I may not look in the new members forum very often,  or visit some of the other areas.  I may not hit the follow button either,  rather I go in and view all that show signs of progress.  but my list is long.......so long that I can't keep up with them all and get table time for myself.  I feel guilty when I don't visit them all,  'cuz some of those folks have already visited my logs and commented.   I rather do it this way though and steer clear of an email full of notifications.  new folks who join are important......some come with a technique that we have never thought of before,  and others cause us to remember things we may have forgotten.  their determination and effort means more to me,  than how good the model looks.  I feel good when they succeed,  and I feel equally as bad when they fail......I've seen a few :(   even though I'm not a nautical intellect,  I will continue to lend any help I can offer.

Guilty too, but I realised that I am spending too much time on the fora and don't get things done. Had to focus just on a handful of building logs.

(Near)normal working conditions here, as I am working from home anyway. Saving some time due to no travel and teleconferences instead.

Challenge accepted.

volunteers ?? 

My English is not good enough, to answer all his questions

What a great idea. I'm embarrassed it took me so long to see this thread though, I do a scan of all activity a couple of times a day.

I'm working from home now so my days are still moderately full. Still I'll take that challenge!

Richard. 

The challenge is not to create more topics of your own that you will post in.....its to post on OTHER peoples topics (other than yours!!!).  Especially those that are from new members.   Especially the ship model related ones.

Chuck