Dinghy by Voyageur - FINISHED - Midwest Products - small - first ship model build ever

My first ship model. My first build log. I’ve built model rockets for years but never did a build log. This will be as much a posting experience as it will be a boat building experience. I hope to hone both skills.

i started small and easy with the Dinghy. I wanted to have the best chance for a successful build.

180466DD-C941-425B-8162-544C9DAD3AF3.jpeg

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

All pieces and parts seem to be present. I made copies of the instructions and layout drawing as the originals were very brittle and browned. 

BAAEC578-DDD7-4457-AE00-9D62FFDDDC35.jpegI started by marking the bottom plank. Then assembled the three frames. I used wood glue instead of CA. I could not get the CA to adhere the wood. It’s old glue so I wonder if it has a shelf life. 

A6F57778-DBB5-4D5C-98BB-2EDE9DFA83FB.jpeg

Edited by Voyageur

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

I carefully trimmed the floors of the frames and ensured they were right and tight. 

86886E0E-0116-4736-A084-663D2A518071.jpeg

Then beveled the first and third frames, glued them to the bottom plank and then glued the transom and knee to the bottom plank as well. That’s all for now.

41A16850-0691-4796-9082-45531514A8FE.jpeg

Edited by Voyageur

~ Aristotle 

Welcome aboard! Great start, on you first build. I had the same problem with the glue on my first build it turns out that CA does not like some woods. I know this now because this forum is a treasure trove of info. When you run into trouble just search the forum or ask there are lots of helpful people around here.

Best Regards

11 hours ago, Voyageur said:

I wanted to have the best chance for a successful build.

Smart! And it looks like you are off to a great start, too. I did model rocketry as a kid -- still have vivid memories of most of my rockets, probably due to the fact that they usually came to some sad but spectacular end!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Great start, looking great and very clean so far, based on how you're approaching this kit I'm sure you'll have no difficulty with something a little more complex in the future.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Next step was to bevel the stem

And glue in place. No problem24375782-C1D4-4E0C-B317-2DD2796C7DB9.jpeg820DF9DD-CC2C-4535-B0D9-C22BD12FBF3F.jpeg

Then bending the bottom plank by soaking in windex. I should have seen this coming; using wood glue that wasn’t water proof. You can see the results here.

Pretty ugly. But I learned a lesson. 
31E75484-25E7-46A7-9E95-4F81470D220B.jpeg

I removed the frame pieces and took my soldering iron shaft and, using light pressure, bent the bottom frame properly. No soaking needed. I managed to eliminate the warping.

A93D9134-CCBD-4DE1-B330-6D77DF6F79FD.jpeg

3E1755C1-A244-4C8E-8A21-71C66BF83C3C.jpeg

Edited by Voyageur
Move pictures

~ Aristotle 

While the glue was drying, I took my soldering iron and bent the garboard planks. It was easier than I thought. It gives me hope for my future in model ship building 😀

6571B881-E5C7-4EFF-8102-961411B33C48.jpeg

DE8A2A23-56DF-4401-833E-96EE1ED4F9ED.jpeg

Edited by Voyageur
spelling correction

~ Aristotle 

Much better

image.jpg

~ Aristotle 

You're off to a great start using your creativity to figure how to do things. That's a big piece of model ship building. This is a wonderful model you chose to start with.

By the way, I grew up in Elwood about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis many years ago before leaving for the Coast Guard after high school and later making California my home after college. My sister lives in Indy. It's a really nice town. Good luck with your build.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Nice save! Like Jim Lovell said "it looks like we just had our glitch for this mission". The rest of this build should be clear sailing for you.

18 minutes ago, BobG said:

You're off to a great start using your creativity to figure how to do things. That's a big piece of model ship building. This is a wonderful model you chose to start with.

By the way, I grew up in Elwood about 40 miles northeast of Indianapolis many years ago before leaving for the Coast Guard after high school and later making California my home after college. My sister lives in Indy. It's a really nice town. Good luck with your build.

Thanks Bob, I work with some people from Elwood. And my sister is a Lieutenant Commander in the Coast Guard. Stationed in Boston now.

Small world!

I appreciate the support and any advice.

~ Aristotle 

13 minutes ago, Osmosis said:

Nice save! Like Jim Lovell said "it looks like we just had our glitch for this mission". The rest of this build should be clear sailing for you.

Thanks! I hope so. 

~ Aristotle 

Put the first garboard plank on...

a dark area where I let the soldering iron get too hot. I suppose that will sand out.

...then the second.

so far so good.

868BF5E5-D2BB-4395-A317-C50A356321EC.jpeg

542E4E44-EF4E-415E-99AF-29640C5E1B3E.jpeg

569CFF0B-1679-47D7-BB2F-D00FF5C5A0AF.jpeg

4B4192EB-118D-4EBD-8CA4-B374B638C360.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

Middle planks installed.

5139EB35-498B-448E-B19A-EACE854FA144.jpeg

2FB29366-52CE-45ED-8150-094CD4F586EE.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

Disaster strikes! While bending the second top mahogany plank, I pulled a little too hard and snapped the piece.

not having another pice of mahogany and I really didn’t want to. Order a piece and wait around for it, I attempted a repair of this piece. I tried CA glue first. It would not set. At all. I only succeeded in creating shiny spots on the wood. I then used titebond very lightly. I put a couple clamps on it and let it sit for an hour. I found the joint to be good and tight and straight. I then took my Drexel with a nylon brush wheel and was able to remove the excess titebond and even some of the CA shininess. A little gentle sanding using 320 grit on top of the titebond bottle as my base to help maintain the curve and have a little “give” as I sanded. I am very pleased with the results and will use the piece. You’d never even know it was snapped in two.

I got the other side glued up and the oars started.

DB36FFAE-6BD6-47CE-9FA4-6CF563ED0CF8.jpeg

image.jpg

88706EB0-9CEC-4DF7-B108-89E5A2223B63.jpeg

C5A15D0C-D2D9-43F9-AD9D-80AFD0B0DF22.jpeg

image.jpg

~ Aristotle 

image.jpg

~ Aristotle 

Great recovery, one important lesson is that most problems are fixable if you have the courage and ingenuity to try.  The second is recognizing that problems will occur and not getting frustrated.  Looking good!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I keep thinking that if I just pay closer attention I won't make any more mistakes but it's fanciful thinking. I've come to accept that mistakes are just a part of model ship building and it's how you recover and move on that's the important part. I just say a few choice words and redo my goofs... 🙄

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Your perseverance is admirable and your recovery skills are too.

Here is a link to a thread I started on another forum in regards to gluing mahogany. There is a link to an article in the woodworkers journal in there that really explains the dynamic better than I can. You may want to give it a look before taking out the trash.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2957898-Why-won-t-CA-work-on-Mahogany#post38291590

7 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Your perseverance is admirable and your recovery skills are too.

Here is a link to a thread I started on another forum in regards to gluing mahogany. There is a link to an article in the woodworkers journal in there that really explains the dynamic better than I can. You may want to give it a look before taking out the trash.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2957898-Why-won-t-CA-work-on-Mahogany#post38291590

Good info! I was thinking the CA was old and beyond it’s shelf life, if there is such a thing. I’ll pull it out and get some accelerator. We’ll se how that goes.

~ Aristotle 

I’ve been making progress on this the past couple of days. Breast hook and knees are done. Inwales and guards are also done. I feel pretty good about how they came out.

45A7FAEF-0805-4759-A10B-F3BF4E07FF39.jpeg

A41A2D64-4CF3-43A4-9533-3456BE8660F7.jpeg

A13391C9-1C57-4FA2-A2B9-A9E36A804BCC.jpeg

D99CFE91-8385-4D83-8E62-97C1199F33DF.jpeg

89C091A6-17BA-4144-843A-70315C4E4D72.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

I screwed up the oars. One of them I really got aggressive on the sanding with the Drexel and botched it pretty bad. The other was OK but I didn’t like having to use wood filler. So I decided to go with plan B. I am gluing up a couple scrap 1/16th mahogany and I’ll make the blades out of that. They are clamped up in my vise overnight. While that was setting, I looked at the rope provided and thought those ends should be whipped.

E317CB83-4B2E-48E6-94A4-A5EC72EF5B00.jpeg

46D68319-7711-405B-A13E-54509B154D12.jpeg

202DD91C-79CD-4D5F-96A2-2BFB671C1421.jpeg

3CBE6EF0-1EC8-4A17-9CBB-15AEF9E4539C.jpeg

B258ECE7-C51F-4221-A2D2-AF0EDED724D4.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

Nice work so far, especially in working around the inevitable mistakes or accidents. The general consensus is that wood glue is far preferable for binding wood than CA is, though the latter has a role in certain applications. Just keep it away from water! I think you said you were bending your planks dry, which might have contributed to one snapping. Soaking them really helps loosen up the fibers so the wood takes the bend easier. Your model is looking very nice, and this is a great way to practice these skills before diving into something bigger. Keep it up!

13 hours ago, Voyageur said:

I looked at the rope provided and thought those ends should be whipped.

Just a slight touch of medium viscosity CA will keep those rope ends from unraveling too. The whipping looks good but you might want to touch a tiny spot of CA on those ends and then you can pinch them lightly to help them form a nice shape. The CA will darken lighter colored rope so I use just the smallest amount and it's practically unnoticeable. 

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Thank you all for your likes and much welcome and appreciated comments.
Oars are done. I think they came out well. I didn’t like the way the natural wood looked on the interior so I painted the interior of the boat, the inwales, transom and guard. I am pleased with the results.

sanded, applied poly, sanded again and applied a second coat of polyurethane. Maybe one or two more sanding and polyurethane coats.

6D516466-AFD3-4628-A7C1-7E6D6768FC3D.jpeg

EEA2D4A7-B57D-45F7-A09E-9E18080CDF4B.jpeg

5FA8FFA7-12C3-4851-9DEC-F8C4E22450BD.jpeg

1737127F-F61B-40EB-93CB-2F0C9495A3FB.jpeg

9A6FC601-C62C-4957-AEFE-9F87BA1985C2.jpeg

9C82CC75-50F7-4A6B-B277-081CAFF3A4CB.jpeg

~ Aristotle