Curtiss P-40B Warhawk by Asat- Airfix- 1/48

ASAT

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I think that's my problem. Sometime back, followed a couple links to Civil War battles and then Civil War sea and river battles which led to nation Wars sea battles and land battles.  Now I kind of hooked on the Warfare History Network.  I think I need to go into a detox center and break the habit.  Or not.

That's  just it, you can't  stop at one battle or campaign, you have to go through the war. It's not a bad use of ones time!!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

4 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

That's  just it, you can't  stop at one battle or campaign, you have to go through the war. It's not a bad use of ones time!!

That's true.  So many battles, so little time to read them all.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

When I did Air War College, a good chunk of time was delving into historical topics. I've always had a historical bent, but that put me over the top. ACW cavalry operations, opening of WW II in the Pacific, WW II naval ops, strategic bombing in Europe in WW II.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 4/29/2020 at 5:00 AM, Canute said:

We had similar issues in Viet Nam, because the "old Heads" said you turned and burned with your opponent.

That was true until Robin Olds arrived on the scene, he corrected that perception of the younger pilots.... But then again, Olds learned his craft (became an ace) flying P-38's against FW 190's over northern Italy, Austria and southern Germany..... there was no greater Boom & Zoom aircraft than the P-38.... Which the Germans nicknamed the "Fork-Tailed Devil" The Japanese had a nickname for it also but I don't remember it......

Robin Olds was the last true old school fighter pilot..... (and an air combat tactical genius)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

3 hours ago, Egilman said:

That was true until Robin Olds arrived on the scene, he corrected that perception of the younger pilots.... But then again, Olds learned his craft (became an ace) flying P-38's against FW 190's over northern Italy, Austria and southern Germany..... there was no greater Boom & Zoom aircraft than the P-38.... Which the Germans nicknamed the "Fork-Tailed Devil" The Japanese had a nickname for it also but I don't remember it......

Robin Olds was the last true old school fighter pilot..... (and an air combat tactical genius)

According to Wikipedia, the gospel of all things... the Japanese called it  "two planes, one pilot" .

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That he was, EG. He rubbed the higher ups the wrong way too often, but the troops loved him. He is revered by most fighter pilots( and not a few WSOs).

Horizontal turning was deadly because you got too slow. Speed is life was our mantra after Nam.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

37 minutes ago, Canute said:

That he was, EG. He rubbed the higher ups the wrong way too often, but the troops loved him. He is revered by most fighter pilots( and not a few WSOs).

Horizontal turning was deadly because you got too slow. Speed is life was our mantra after Nam.

You bleed off way to much energy trying to turn tight, both to get away and to attack.... Especially in jet aircraft... The aircraft maintaining speed always has the advantage.....

Olds was so acutely aware of ACM and what was going to happen when they issued gun pods for the F-4 that he refused to allow them to be mounted on his squadrons aircraft. He KNEW what his younger pilots (many of them korean war vets) would do if they had them..... Basically go get themselves killed... (the F-4 was not the F-86) Which was aptly demonstrated by every other USAF squadron flying the F-4......

He saved many a pilot by insisting on (and providing for his pilots) ACM training even though it cost him his career.....

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

He also banned an older air to air missile we carried, because it was a "hit 'em in the heart" infrared guided weapon. They were designed for non maneuvering bomber type a/c; obviously useless in dogfights. I carried them in Europe and wasn't impressed, for the most part.

Ken

2 hours ago, Canute said:

Speed is life was our mantra after Nam.

Unless you're flying a Hawker Harrier. In which case they "viffed" and caused the opposing pilot to overshoot, with predictable results.

Speaking of getting hooked on books (not to derail the thread TOO much) I just finished "My Mystery Ships" about the Q-ships of WWI (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship) by the most successful of the British Q-ship captains, written about 10 years after the war. Fascinating stuff about a lesser known aspect of the naval service.

Steven

Steven, you're correct, but then it's almost like you're fighting a helicopter. I'd run out a minute or two away from the Harrier, getting lots of knots.  Then, pitch back into the Harrier and take a standoff shot with a radar or IR missile. Go quickly to guns and be ready to strafe. I think we only fought with some Marine AV-8s once, so my experience is limited. More time versus F-5, 15,16, F-100, A-7, F14, F18.  It was fun.

Ken

1 hour ago, Louie da fly said:

Unless you're flying a Hawker Harrier. In which case they "viffed" and caused the opposing pilot to overshoot, with predictable results.

Speaking of getting hooked on books (not to derail the thread TOO much) I just finished "My Mystery Ships" about the Q-ships of WWI (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-ship) by the most successful of the British Q-ship captains, written about 10 years after the war. Fascinating stuff about a lesser known aspect of the naval service.

Steven

"Harrier"     thats coming a long soon   got one in the stash  got it months ago  before the mad max  madness.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

6 hours ago, Canute said:

I remember hearing the phrase “keep your Mach up” from some Phantom drivers when my dad was stationed at RAF Alconbury during Vietnam - ‘69-‘70... I might have to find a good F-4 model....

4 minutes ago, ASAT said:

I remember hearing the phrase “keep your Mach up” from some Phantom drivers when my dad was stationed at RAF Alconbury during Vietnam - ‘69-‘70... I might have to find a good F-4 model....

Hasegawa  1/48   F4E   would be superb.   what say you Ken.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I second your suggestion/recommendation, OC. Good fit.

Ken