Billings Bluenose 2 good beginners kit?

Riotvan88

I've found a billings Bluenose 2 kit on ebay complete and unstarted for a reasonably cheap price compared to buying it new. 

I have decent amount of experience building 1/350 scale plastic and brass ship kits but never built a wood kit. I've read ship modeling simplified by Frank Mastini and so now I'm encouraged to look for a good beginners wooden kit.

Is this kit any good or should I look for a artisena or model shipway kit instead? Some have said billings are no good?

Alternatively some have suggested Amati endeavour 1/80, caldercraft Hm cutter, pickle or supply brig as a good starter kits

Generally I'm interested in age of sail warships more than yachts. I however appreciate that I should start off with a POB kit that's on the easier end of the spectrum. I hope to eventually one day work up to a HMS Diana or similar. 

Specifically I've seen the billings Bluenose 2 kits Hull is built in 2 half's which seems unconventional. Would this unusual method be unsuitable to learn the art with?  All advice much appreciated Cheers

Edited by Riotvan88

The chief knock I've seen against Billings is their somewhat meager instructions, but we have some members who love them and have built fantastic models from them. Mastini's book is based on the Artesania Latina version, which is similar. But -- you should build something that will hold your interest, so if a small man o' war is what interests you, then have a look at a cutter or armed schooner. Lots of examples out there.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

The chief knock I've seen against Billings is their somewhat meager instructions, but we have some members who love them and have built fantastic models from them. Mastini's book is based on the Artesania Latina version, which is similar. But -- you should build something that will hold your interest, so if a small man o' war is what interests you, then have a look at a cutter or armed schooner. Lots of examples out there.

OK thanks for the advice think I'm going to buy the caldercraft cutter Sherbourne as it's fitting the type of ship and era I'm interested in. I think if I ever do a yacht like bluenose I'll get the MS kit but too expensive for me as a 1st kit

3 hours ago, Riotvan88 said:

I'm going to buy the caldercraft cutter Sherbourne as it's fitting the type of ship and era I'm interested in.

That's a nice kit, and I have built it myself, but its instructions aren't the greatest either. That won't be a problem if you make good use of the resources available here, though. There's also multiple build logs of finished examples to use as guides, too.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

That's a nice kit, and I have built it myself, but its instructions aren't the greatest either. That won't be a problem if you make good use of the resources available here, though. There's also multiple build logs of finished examples to use as guides, too.

Cheers!

Good to hear, I've gone ahead and bought it. Going to go slow and keep checking this site for reference . I'll be back asking for help in no time I'm sure. Since I'm stuck at home now for the foreseeable I'll have plenty of time to work on it. 

The Billings Blue Nose II 1:100 kit is actually a good kit for beginners.  The instructions are getting better but still need some work.  However there is plenty of help here on MSW so if it was up to me I would say go for it.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.