BLACK VIKING

B17 Lil Audrey by Black Viking - Airfix 1-72

9 hours ago, Egilman said:

There are very few combat used B-17's left most of them were sent to the scrappers immediately after the war..... Almost all the B-17's on display are post war manufacture.....

Check with the Air Force Museum in Dayton.   It's been probably 30 years since I've been there, but they used to have 2 (I think) B-17's that were warbirds that did missions.   I do remember they at least one of every other US fighter and bomber from WWII, including some German aircraft.

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

.....but they used to have 2 (I think) B-17's that were warbirds that did missions.

Yes,

The "Swoose", B-17 40-3097 flew combat missions Over Rabaul and New Guinea and was damaged several times in air combat and in bombing attacks eventually being consolidated with a second "D" model B-17 40-3091 to become a personal aircraft of a General.... (amongst her notable passengers was one Commander Lyndon Baines Johnson) It is the oldest B-17 in existance and the only one to be in service for the entire war....

And

The "Memphis Belle", B-17F 41-24485 whose combat record is widely known.... They also used to have "Shoo Shoo Shoo Baby", B-17G 42-32076 who is the most complete and original B-17 in existence... also with a well known combat record was shot up by flak and forced down at Bulltofta Airfield, near Malmo, Sweden, recovered by the Swedish government and used an an airliner reg. SE-BAP then sold to Denmark for $1 and called the STIG VIKING, later renamed STORE BJORN for the African routes; bought by IGNF (Institut National de l'Information Géographique et Forestière) as F-BGSH for geographical survey work before retiring at Creuil, France; sold to the USAF for 20 cents and fully restored at Wright-Patterson AFB and displayed at the USAF museum until she was transferred to the Smithsonian in exchange for the "Swoose" which is considered the more historically important aircraft.

Edited by Egilman

On 3/25/2020 at 9:57 PM, mtaylor said:

Whoa...  that joggled a memory..  "Shoo Shoo Baby II".   

yep...

B-17 44-6302 / Shoo Shoo Baby II; B-17G-50-DL: 44-6251 to 44-6500 Was battle damaged over Merseburg 11/30/44 and force landed at Melsbroek, Belgium; Salvaged 12/21/44.

According to the B-17 Database, there were 9 different B-17's that carried some form of Shoo Shoo Baby as a nickname.....

Here is an image of Shoo shoo Shoo Baby as a Swedish Airliner.....

1758783793_ShooSwedishairliner(2).jpg.d160b0f42d92245b9220b2e5893f5dac.jpg

Correction: this image of her is in her Danish airline livery after the swedes sold it to Denmark. (I completely missed the "Danske" in the caption below the image)

Edited by Egilman
Correcting an error

Hi all and a big thanks for the likes.

A little more work on the old girl. I have painted the square G on the tail and I think it looks ok the biggest problem I had was with the numbers as I tried painting them but they looked rubbish so I came up with a cunning plan and modified the ones that came with the kit and some I had leftover from another kit I think they look ok and much better than I could paint.

Cheers for following 

Martyn