Finished - 1931 Cadillac by CDW - JoHan - 1:25 Scale

CDW

36 minutes ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Craig, sorry to clutter your log, but here is another discussion on wire wheels - this time used in the context of the old Hubley metal kits (I have a few kits in the stash and was browsing the web in them this morning).

Having wire wheels true to scale seems well worth the effort to make a beautiful car model as the plastic wheels are way out of scale:

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/86613-118-duesenberg-wire-wheels/

Don't feel bad at all...I love this kind of discussion. I learn a lot from it. I wish these guys didn't put their photos in photo bucket. It demands we turn off our ad blocker to view them and I don't like to do that.

The engine parts were cut off the sprues, then the chrome parts were soaked in Super Clean to remove the chrome plating and clear lacquer.

DSCN3634.jpg.91367980a5a719dccc650d5518baeab9.jpg

The engine block and transmission were painted with Tamiya flat black before dry brushing with Mr Color aluminum.

DSCN3636.thumb.jpg.cb2549b09629ead718cdb6c2b2d76703.jpg

DSCN3637.jpg.d023e9ac4e15f5a8080640a4b88211b5.jpg

The literature on the Cadillac V-16 indicates the intake and exhaust manifolds were ceramic coated, black. The cylinder heads were black. I've painted the cylinder heads with Tamiya semi-gloss black. The intake and exhaust manifolds were first painted with acrylic flat black, then a treatment of AK gun metal was applied. The AK metal colors in the tube come in various metal colors. They are in a wax base, applied with a brush. After application, they are buffed to achieve a glossy finish. This was the best way I knew of to try and capture the glossy, shiny, look of the manifolds as well as provide some contrast with the black cylinder heads.

DSCN3635.thumb.jpg.87725c3d2ae79aba7e842cb0c54c154d.jpg  

OUTSTANDING!.... 

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

off to a great start Craig! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Craig, does AK metal do a burnt metal of titanium? Thinking jet exhausts.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

7 minutes ago, Canute said:

Craig, does AK metal do a burnt metal of titanium? Thinking jet exhausts.

No, unfortunately they do not. Here is their line of wax based metals:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/browse.php?kw=ak,true,metal

But they do have a pale burnt metal in their enamel line of metal:

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catagories/browse.php?kw=ak,xtreme,metal

nice! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That looks fantastic!  

Just out of curiosity, do you need to put a clear coat over it, or does the wax-based application help protect it?  I'm working on a car model now, and I noticed that they recommend using flat colors for some engine parts and gloss colors for other parts.  If i put a gloss coat on to weather, it seems like everything would become gloss.  Seems like this AK stuff would allow one to keep some parts flat and some parts more glossy.  

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

That engine looks super.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Most of the metal treatments need a clear coat to protect them over time. It's better to wear a latex glove when handling the metal treated parts before the clear coat. On small items, I paint on the dull coat with a brush after the gloss coat and weathering has been done. Larger areas can be airbrushed. Even smaller areas can be airbrushed if you have gained that level of control with your airbrush.  

Considering the molds for this model were tooled in the sixties, the detail was great for that day and time. Even the way JoHan engineered the plastic sprues to fit inside the box was remarkable. If you took the part sprues out and couldn't remember how they were oriented, you could not possibly get everything back inside the box. It wouldn't fit.

For this model finish, I will be using Mr Surfacer 1500, reduced at a ratio of 1 part paint to 8 parts reducer (Mr Color leveling thinner), applied in light coats and lightly wet sanded between coats until I am satisfied it is ready for finish paint. Createx Pearl Green for the main color on body, frame, and wheels. Createx Black for the running boards and fenders. Createx is an acrylic paint that must be applied in very light coats. It dries in a flat finish. It's reduced to a ratio of 10 parts paint to 1 part reducer. No Name Gloss Coat will be used to seal everything and give it a deep deep clear glossy shine. The clear coat is mixed 2 parts clear to 1 part hardener and 1 part reducer.

DSCN3641.thumb.JPG.d9f943bf64477eabeb20e9391689edb0.JPGDSCN3642.thumb.JPG.d5d7bcdd98185612f2999d706879a21c.JPGDSCN3643.thumb.JPG.931d3996cfbe047ac8ff6f066c6db256.JPGDSCN3644.thumb.JPG.f316fc9744151410f26bf92c79651b94.JPG

engine looks superb ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Looking good Craig 👍😉

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

nice looking chassis and drive train  ;)     looks very good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks spot on brother, what paint are you using for the semi-gloss on the frame, it couldn't be any closer to real..... the exhaust looks like it came from the shop down the street.... I'm gonna have to go ask if they really do miniature cars....

I've got a packard boattail speedster build in my near future, something the wife really likes and to replace the one she lost when we moved into our current home.....  that paint would be perfect.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

Great job with the paint. Like EG says, looks real.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Really nice work craig,   it reaslly does look the business.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks Edward. Hope you and your family are doing well during this time of chaos.

We're all ok though not seen my daughters or grandkids for over a week (apart from video calls).

Hope everyone is doing well with you also.

Stay safe and keep modelling 👍😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

3 hours ago, CDW said:

Thanks OC. I seem to be having more difficulty concentrating on model building for all the news that's going on right now. Hard to do both things at once.

I hear you mate,   the media doesn't help  - if anything its making things  feel  worse, I try not to watch any of it,   try to stay focused on  coming on here keep your mind off  the madness   that  the  world has created.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

As everyone has said already, things are looking right on Craig. Are you going to go for showroom fresh?

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

On 3/30/2020 at 1:39 AM, CDW said:

It's reduced to a ratio of 10 parts paint to 1 part reducer. No Name Gloss Coat will be used to seal everything and give it a deep deep clear glossy shine. The clear coat is mixed 2 parts clear to 1 part hardener and 1 part reducer.

Sounds like you are panting the one in the garage :P Looking very Nice CD ;) Kevin