New to ships

Minnang

Hello everyone, since I've finally started posting vs. browsing I thought I'd introduce myself.  I've been a scale aircraft modeler for over 20 years and have found that the research and learning journey is almost as rewarding as the build itself.  My interest in aircraft stems from a fascination with flight coupled with 23 years in the Air Force and Air National Guard.  However, a fascination with ships is close behind.  It's the history, people involved at the time, and how the machines I model helped change the world for good or bad that really drives my interest.  I guess my biggest flaw when it comes to modeling is a quest for accuracy and perfection in the build.  I'll never achieve perfection and only be as accurate as the research material available but I will sure keep trying.  For instance, the MS Niagara was my first attempt at a ship.  It would be a beautiful model to display, but after finding out it doesn't really represent the real ship, I have absolutely no interest in completing it.  The beautiful work that I see on this site is inspirational and I'm learning a lot.  Please be prepared for lots of stupid questions.

Niagara.JPG

And another warm welcome from Pacific Northwest.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

:sign:

The only stupid question is a question unasked.   Feel free to fire away with them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Stupid questions ??

I can only give stupid answers in badly spelled English  ;)

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome aboard!

8 hours ago, Minnang said:

it doesn't really represent the real ship

Ah, but it does! It represents the reproduction, the ship that currently exists. It's a real ship, just not the original Niagara😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome, Minnang! There are no stupid questions, as others have already remarked. Nice workmanship on your now-abandoned model. I applaud your quest for authentic subjects to model. You'll find plenty of advice and help here when you need it.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv