As  I've had much more reading time with current circumstances, this sequel to The Four Days' Battle of 1666 (recently reviewed) is this much smaller book on what occurred the following summer. P. G. Rogers originally wrote this back in the late '60's - the tercentenary of this event. Published in 1970, this new edition was printed in 2017. A well-written narrative describes the prelude, raid, and its aftermath by the Dutch in the Medway. This action was in retribution for the previous year's wanton burning of the Dutch village of Terschelling ("Holmes' Bonfire"). The politics, economics, poor leadership and ignoring of valuable intelligence all contributed to the British losses incurred in this daring raid.

Another engrossing read and thoroughly recommended, available online through Seaforth Publishing, hard-cover, 2017.

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thank you Druxey, and compliments on your timing. This has been on my 'sooner or later' list for a while and you just bumped it to the 'get' list.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Druxey, good review. I read a detailed chapter in the following book. 

Going Dutch, How England Plundered Holland's Glory by Lisa Jardine. 

Book starts out with a detailed Medway incident and then goes into excruciating detail about united Dutch republic politics. I will read it some other time. 

Marcus 

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).