USCG UH-65A Dolphin by Jack12477 - 1:48 scale - Trumpeter - FINISHED

The Borg lost !  Resistance is not futile  !  My next  aircraft will be a somewhat smaller model than what is anticipated.  That is until I can figure out where to display the other two behemoths everyone wants to see built. :D

Some years back I was invited by a close friend who was career US Coast Guard, first as an Enlisted then as a Warrant Officer, to his Change of Command ceremony during which he assumed command of Coast Guard station Sandy Hook NJ.  Attending his Change of Command ceremony were members of Air Station Atlantic City who decided to just fly over for the ceremony in one of their Dolphin helicopters. As they approached the beach to land the pilot executed a series of hold and hover maneuvers as the Dolphin descended, roughly at about 10-20 foot intervals; I was able to snap some photos each time he hovered.  He is retired now after a 30 plus year in the Coast Guard.  Those photos follow:

On approach

IMG_0099.JPG.2b6a336a75882a9bc79567b0f62dbfeb.JPG

Hover 1

IMG_0100.JPG.07c09ac07f908f33f382616fbf57a049.JPG

Hover 2

IMG_0102.JPG.aea835154cf5747263d69caf1f868d4f.JPG

Hover 3

IMG_0103.JPG.11c2b5fd86b7c6fee788f646a133cb86.JPG

Hover 4 - couple of feet to go

IMG_0104.JPG.201f0c5057e87312feecf305301e8c0f.JPG

Touch down

IMG_0105.JPG.aa982c9e680979afcc20aae557353469.JPGAnd

Watching him descend and hold a hover was quite impressive.

And now on to the build

The obligatory box and contents and instructions

IMG_8072.JPG.4457d3f75b1817c6bb5769ce9230fa80.JPG

IMG_8073.JPG.80db78fd8fe35de90e14cdcf0ee9ff88.JPG

IMG_8074.JPG.8c3e4a0d011cda02dab5c901d4a830f7.JPG

On examining the contents it is a well made kit, like the other Trumpeter kits I've assembled, namely the 1:350 scale ships.

The next update may take a while as I need to order some paints for this model.  Stay turned !

Edited by Jack12477

Oh well, We still know that the others exist so I doubt you will be able to get away with it for long. BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT as a certified roterhead I can still look forward to this build and forgive you just a little. This time.:D

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

6 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Oh well, We still know that the others exist so I doubt you will be able to get away with it for long. BUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT as a certified roterhead I can still look forward to this build and forgive you just a little. This time.:D

Lou  you could always fall in as winch man.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Ok I'm in I suppose 😏😁

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Sitting in here too,

Your getting into my wheelhouse now..... (the only thing wrong with the Trumpeter kit, it is scaled too small)

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

Oh ! You mean one of these guys !  :D

QPic.jpeg.jpg.3b9f2b49f0c52bd401f6c0598324b3c7.jpg

I will be when SWMBO gets done with me... I just acquired a TR05107 off evilbay for 41.00 shipped...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

That's a steal compared to the hobby shops I looked at online, that's why I went with the smaller scale.  Good ! Join the fun !  I found that Mr Color brand has most of the colors needed. 

Oh ! You mean one of these guys ! 

Where did you find my drivers license picture Jack?

43 minutes ago, Egilman said:

TR05107 off evilbay

If I was to build this kind of model that would be my choice. I much prefer the larger scale. 

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

That's a steal compared to the hobby shops I looked at online, that's why I went with the smaller scale.  Good ! Join the fun !  I found that Mr Color brand has most of the colors needed. 

That why I grabbed it, unfortunately it is coming from Austria, and they have suspended mail service to some countries cause it the virus crap. The seller is paid so he will hold it till he can ship it... Unfortunately it will join my burgeoning collection of 1/32nd - 1/35th scale helicopters.... It up to at least 13 now not counting this one....Still need to get a Huey and a Jet Ranger....

Quote:

20 minutes ago, lmagna said:

If I was to build this kind of model that would be my choice. I much prefer the larger scale. 

Yeah, me too, I can't build that tiny stuff anymore....

Quote:

32 minutes ago, lmagna said:

11 minutes ago, Egilman said:

1:48 is smallest I want to go anymore. Did try the 1:350 Trumpeter ships tho, wasn't too too bad except the PE was a bear at that scale.  I do have my eye on a few 1:35 scale tanks tho. Maybe soon !

Edited by Jack12477

looks like an interesting helo Jack......should prove to be a fun build!   errrr,  I'm not familiar with that number that's been float'in around ....what type of helo is it? {got that much out of the conversation}.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

6 hours ago, Egilman said:

just acquired a TR05107 off evilbay for 41.00 shipped..

2 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

I'm not familiar with that number that's been float'in around ....what type of helo is it? {got that much out of the conversation}.

Denis, If you mean the one in Egilman post, it is the Trumpeter item number for the 1:35 kit of the same helo as mine 

Edited by Jack12477

Jack, I'm in, bud.

Something I saw and read about on a train site. The guy used a yellow primer, I think Badger. Let it dry. Then he sprayed a red oxide (freight car color) over the yellow. Made the red pop. You'll be doing orange over almost the whole thing. Maybe a try?  I will dig into it in the morning, in my spare time.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

4 hours ago, Egilman said:

I am finding out that there is plenty of tiny stuff at 1/35th also. My pilots on my Huey have TONS of tiny stuff that has been a challenge for me to deal with!!:( Also mmany of my still to be built aftermarket stuff is looking pretty small and delicate as well.

If you are thinking of adding a 1/35th Huey to your collection I have an unopened Dragon kit that I bought when I thought I had wrecked my present build, I also have the old Revell 1/32 kit but I can't remember if it is still wrapped. But at this point I think I would recommend waiting for the release of the 1/35 Kitty Hawk kit. Not many details on it yet and of course it is already over due for release but if it is like their 1/48th scale Huey in detail and assembly method, it may be well worth the wait.   

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Lou but this may be my only helo, if I stay in plastic I will probably go back to collecting armor again. Of course I still have those two enormous sized planes to build and more importantly find a place to display. Not to mention the AL US Constellation ship model to build. 

Sorry Jack

I was referring to Egilman's comment that he had a collection of 1/35 and 32 scale choppers in his collection/stash, but no Huey's or Kiowa's.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Ken, the color is called red madder. Mr Color has it, I think I can get it from  a shop in NH.

US Coast Guard fluorescent red-orange (FS 28913) or fluorescent red (FS 28915) It was used on USAF rescue craft also....

I looked it up once cause I need it for the air-sea rescue Huskie I have..... I know that Testors made it for a while but I will look around....

Well, that was quick....

fluorescent orange is available from Testors (1367A), Model Master II (2041) or Gunze (GSI Creos) (H98), or for fluorescent red, Gunze (H99), Model Master (1775)  the last one your local Hobby Lobby should carry... You will want to airbrush it over white primer....

Now in the real world, Coast Guard aircraft are painted FS 12197 hi-gloss International Orange and White. But Model Masters international orange is a bit too dull, over on the Arc forums they say MM's Chevrolet engine orange is the perfect match under most light conditions

MM's international Orange.....

X1a.jpg.d4afaee9448e1f86a61dd16db91cd267.jpg

MM's chevy engine red....

HH65_1.jpg.ffa28079a649880905177c6380323a45.jpg

You tell me....

others use Zero Paints, mclaren red/orange.....

DSC_5773_zps64b10678.jpg

Personally, I like the Zero Paints the best

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

If you are thinking of adding a 1/35th Huey to your collection I have an unopened Dragon kit that I bought when I thought I had wrecked my present build, I also have the old Revell 1/32 kit but I can't remember if it is still wrapped. But at this point I think I would recommend waiting for the release of the 1/35 Kitty Hawk kit. Not many details on it yet and of course it is already over due for release but if it is like their 1/48th scale Huey in detail and assembly method, it may be well worth the wait.   

I need a "D" model to go along with my "B" model, I have the Seminar UH-1B already in the stash. the Dragon kit isn't a bad one at all but yes I'm waiting to see what Kitty Hawk puts out there. If it's anything like their MH-6J Littlebird that's where I'm going.... (unless it is too expensive, KH models have been progressively going up in price lately)

Quote:

20 minutes ago, Egilman said:

unless it is too expensive,

You can pretty much bet it will be. My two won't be going anywhere if you do end up being interested.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Count me in Jack.  Popcorn at the ready.  I'm hooked at watching the plastic kits come together.  And no... I'm not doing another one as I have to cover the floor with sanding dust.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

You can pretty much bet it will be. My two won't be going anywhere if you do end up being interested.

I sincerely appreciate this Lou.... I will let you know. (although I'm pretty sure it (the KH) will be more than I'm willing to pay)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

@Egilman, thanks for the list of paints and sample photos. 

I think the model in MM Chevy engine red looks closest.  I did find the Mr Color red madder at HobbyWorld USA in NH. Going to order some from there and see how it looks. I do have a bottle of the MM Chevy engine red in my paint stash. 

Edited by Jack12477