Hi from Azores and thank you all in advance

Hi, my name is Marco and I live in the Azores. I'm 43 and have no experience in this area... but that is about to change soon! I've ordered a kit from Talhoer - Disarmodels and against all advices the model I've choosen is the spanish galeon San Luis. https://www.disarmodel.com/nivel-4/27-san-luis-galeon-espanol-del-s-xvii-8436552881446.html

I know this might sound like I'm bitting more than I can chew but I'm sure that with lots of patience and the help of this forum I will be able to complete it. If anyone has any experience with this specific model or other similar ships I will appreciate your help. Thank you all and happy modelling!

Hi Marco,

Welcome to MSW.  Best way to get help and have people watching is to start a build log.  I checked our index and there aren't any builds for this so you're a first which will be helpful to anyone else deciding to build it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:piratebo5:Marco, welcome to MSW. It will look great when you finish it. As Mark said do a build log and have fun!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Hi Marco. Well you'r right - that's a pretty ambitious model for a first timer. But so long as you're prepared to be patient, expect to make mistakes but not be put off by them (or having to do things over), then you've got a good chance of achieving your goal. There have been other first-timers who've successfully completed complex builds, and there's no good reason why you shouldn't as well.

But yes, start a build log - it's the best way to get feedback and encouragement, and good advice from other MSW members if you hit problems.

Steven

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome Marco. You've picked an interesting and ambitious model to build as your first ship. As you said, patience is one of the most valuable aspects of model ship building. Make sure you understand each step thoroughly before you actually do it and ask questions if something seems confusing. I'm don't think anyone has ever completed a build without making any mistakes. We all do make errors but there's nearly always an acceptable fix and the more experienced modelers on this forum will be happy to assist you. Good luck with your first ship!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Oh, and always "dry fit" pieces together before you even think of gluing! (It would be nice if kit pieces were all perfect, but sadly too often they are badly finished, ill-fitting, warped etc.). If something doesn't fit you'll know in advance and be able to fix it before you're committed. You'll save yourself a lot of grief and extra work ungluing and re-doing.

Steven

3 hours ago, Marco Silva said:

as soon as I receive the galleon kit I will start a building log.

Great! Looking forward to following it.

Steven

Welcome, 

And good luck with the galleon

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum