Need help scratch-building replacement stern counter for AL Endeavour kit

Hello everyone, I don't know where to post this I hope I am in the right place. I am new to ship modeling and I have been waiting to buy my first model for a long time and I finally did the HMS Endeavour by Artesania Latina 1/60 scale.

Now...I have a huge problem. The kit is missing two parts. Going from the parts list it's part No 17 (Fore Crotch) and part No 18 (Alt counter)

I'm just wondering where I can get these two parts from? Can anyone help please.

Ed 

Well, the first step to getting help is to make a post title that clearly states what you're looking for (I fixed that for you -- no charge). Second, do your kit plans show any full-size parts templates? If so, you can use those to scratch-build some replacement parts. Third, from whom did you purchase the kit? At least one vendor, Model Expo, will replace any missing parts.

That should get you started. Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Problem is going to be that this kit is out of production. Even Expo, which does not appear to sell AL kits can't provide parts that don't exist.

The missing parts should be laser-cut parts, and if you have the sheet they came from, then you have a pretty solid outline of the parts and can simply reproduce them. That's the beauty of working in wood.

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

7 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Well, the first step to getting help is to make a post title that clearly states what you're looking for (I fixed that for you -- no charge). Second, do your kit plans show any full-size parts templates? If so, you can use those to scratch-build some replacement parts. Third, from whom did you purchase the kit? At least one vendor, Model Expo, will replace any missing parts.

That should get you started. Cheers!

Thank you for fixing the title of my post. I'll have to scratch build these two parts. Part 18 at the stern will be challenging. I purchased the kit privately from someone that did not have the time to build it.  The box which the kit came was in plastic so it was not tampered with so no fault of the seller.

48 minutes ago, catopower said:

Problem is going to be that this kit is out of production. Even Expo, which does not appear to sell AL kits can't provide parts that don't exist.

The missing parts should be laser-cut parts, and if you have the sheet they came from, then you have a pretty solid outline of the parts and can simply reproduce them. That's the beauty of working in wood.

Yep, Artesania Latina are no more. I have little chance of getting these parts. The parts in question look to be molded. I am not worried about the part at the bow it's part No 18 at the stern.

Pic 1.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Pic 2.jpg

Hmm -- it's really hard, for me at least, to tell what shape that #18 should have exactly. However, we have any number of members here who have finished one or another kit version of Endeavour and should be able to give you some idea of how to proceed. I'm going to modify the title of this thread again to see if we can't get you some more capable help.

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Orion, I think investing in the AOTS "Capt Cook's Endeavour' (Used versions available at a very reasonable cost) or Ray Parkin's  'H.M. Bark Endeavour'  which is more expensive, will be your best option.  Bothe these should provide sufficient detail to make the necessary parts; both have good drawings.  The most important thing will be to scale the drawings accordingly (AL kit is 1:60 if I recall).

A lateral option may be to look to see if another model maker/production company does a kit at the same scale and you might be able to use their use their stern with some slight modifications? 

Also, I cannot recall the name now (it was something like Laser O) , but there was someone making the stern facia (decorations etc) which would simplify the project considerably for you.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

This is the part missing,right? You can use balsa wood and recreate it..

imageproxy.jfif

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

I know this doesn't really help you, but In the old days, they just gave us a big hunk of balsa, and the instructions "now, carve the block to the shape of the stern".

That said, you do have the shape of the deck and the side profile from the drawing. It's all covered up by planking, so you don't have to worry about how good it looks. It just has to be functional.

Edited by catopower

Clare Hess

He's a -> "HE"

Thank you all for the helpful advice.

I already have the balsa wood and a couple of dimensions from the drawings to start. Wouldn't it be great if there was a CAD drawing of it....Anyway I'll start with the framing then do the bow and leave the hard part till last.

• 2 weeks later...

That actualy turned out quite good. Nice job. 

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Nice save!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...