Deck Scow by Canute - American Model Builders - 1:87 scale - New York Harbor craft - Laser Kit

Harbor areas were a big lure to railroads for sending and receiving merchandise. The major US seaports along both coasts hosted a number of railroads.  The New York Harbor had 6 railroads approach it through New Jersey and one via the east shore of the Hudson River. The railroads on the New Jersey side carried the lion's share of the freight into the NY metropolitan area. There was only1 railroad with a tunnel from NJ into Manhattan, but it was only used for carrying passenger traffic So, in order to get the goods from the west side of the river into New York City, the railroads had to float their cargoes across the Hudson.

The railroad "navy's" developed a wide variety of watercraft to move their tonnage, referred to as lighterage, around the harbor. They developed car floats, some with a loading dock central to the float, where cargo could be worked. The floats carried cars back and forth from the Jersey side to a number of stations in Manhattan, The Bronx, Brooklyn and Staten Island. They also used covered barges, some self-propelled, to move cargo they had to protect, from the railroad wharves to other stations and ships in the harbor, These barges carried their cargoes inside the hull of the watercraft.  The scows carried cargo on their decks. Some had a cabin on the deck for a "captain", actually more of a watchman. These were Cabin Scows.  Others, like this kit, just tied their cargo on the deck. And they were all conveyed around the harbor by railroad owned tugboats. I found a deck scow kit for use on my Harlem Transfer.

2030500853_Kitbox1.thumb.jpg.6e2e4f321ed6645fb41fe956c7ed97a1.jpg

Some deck scows had a mast and boom setup to haul deck cargo and winch it to a receiver. These were called stick lighters. I'd like to do it up as a stick lighter, since my modeled railroad had a number of these craft.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Since this is a laser cut kit, there isn't a lot of fiddling required for the build. Most parts are pre-cut and also have double stick tape for fastening together. I started by staining the exterior parts with a Monroe Models black creosote stain. I waited overnight to let the stain dry and then started the hull sides.685051570_creosotedparts1.thumb.jpg.bb0892ba164206ae7fa8ab35d87970a0.jpg

Pictures via my phone, so sorry for the blurry left edge. You can see how dark the stain got.

284487431_Hullsides1.thumb.jpg.6edc1695a6e432dd0b7ff6a034bb5dd5.jpg

I got the hull sides done fairly quickly and forgot to take any in progress shots.

2108569738_Transomparts1.thumb.jpg.144204f7aa4dacc83f9bb4d760bdab45.jpg

Here's the transom parts.  There are two; there is no bow or stern on these craft.

1064561476_Transomend1.thumb.jpg.d3945acb7cb17a604d5d173096b46559.jpg

Completed transom.

Have to build up the hull frames/bulkheads. The scow hull will look like an egg crate when we're ready for the deck.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Well, more work done and I found a real prize buried in my RR cache: a pile driver barge. Could become the follow on to this little scow. On to the current work.

The framework is pretty basic: floor, five bulkheads, some stringers and 2 end braces.

2063917668_Hullbulkheads1.thumb.jpg.7417690388d28a5403b041fb07ccadf9.jpgThanks to the laser cutting this craft has sheer and camber built in.

927802889_Hullsheer1.thumb.jpg.3e87e554d08a6613f9ec9bf1c5ed448b.jpg

The ends are identical, with buffer wood added in. Have to go back and add some creosote stain to these buffer boards. And this shows the camber, too.

1624352078_Hullcamber1.thumb.jpg.1d0b516bc63b93bc11fe01d3db92374b.jpg

The stringers are added to support the deck and everything is left with the glue drying.

1102598447_Interiorhullbracing1.thumb.jpg.8fb1354b06db6a8a507c5b8bc52845c7.jpg

I need to go back and touch up a few spots and fill in some gaps in the side strakes.

Thanks for reading.

end bracing 1.jpg

Edited by Canute
delete extra pictures

Ken

Well, the little box is about done. I have the deck on and am installing the end railings. Have to make sure the side railings don't pinch the end pieces. Bollardsand cleats are next. Just have to paint up the resin parts. Also have some old tires to drape over the sides. These acted as fenders.

2138443760_deckrailing.thumb.jpg.b1e17d868535b9486c43ec30a18c1fbe.jpg

On deck is another harbor work boat, a floating crane/pile driver.

1079450250_Kitcover.thumb.jpg.9b02f852e07945cfa2f2c0f9c43521ed.jpg

Ken

Interesting little build😁

Are these going on a layout or a one off  diorama?

Edited by Edwardkenway

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

It'll be for a layout model, Edward. I'm working up a small NY City harbor station of the railroad I model. It was a vest pocket yard on the Bronx Boro side of the Harlem River. Right now it's a foundation with a few tracks and a float bridge. Kind of novel station, since it had an oval freight house.

Ken

• 2 months later...

Hi Ken,

This is great. I am interested in (and working on) NY harbor scenes especially Harlem Transfer/ DL&W facilities.  I have seen your post above for the stick lighter.

Please keep the pics coming.

I cannot believe I missed this as I have been hanging around here for months.

Thanks,

MCB 

Just peeking in to see how it's going, Ken.  It's too quiet in here.....

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 4 weeks later...

I got waylaid with other projects and this went on a back burner. I do have the bitts installed, but must still paint the chocks. And I did acquire some items for deck loading. Those will need some paint and fine wire details. I also purchased a 3' long car float kit, but I have to perform surgery to the deck to get it to mate with my float bridge. Rails to the single track don't line up. The gantlet track is fine.

The car floats have 3 tracks on them, but the float bridges have a novel way of conserving space for these approach tracks from the land to the barge.

gantletfbtrackdiagram.gif.d8bf7e3c780ec8bf3ec10a5900c5d4e3.gif

My railroad, the Lackawanna, used the right side of the diagram.

Ken

something very different, sorry i havnt been here since the start

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

12 hours ago, Kevin said:

something very different, sorry i havnt been here since the start

Same with me Ken,   loving the wood details.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Been brush painting the cleats yellow. They're molded in a yellow/tan resin, so I'm seeing how good my Mission Models yellow paint (an acrylic) covers, without priming. I'll add them and attach some wire loops on the corners to hang the rubber tire bumpers. Then weather the scow.

Ken

• The title was changed to Deck Scow by Canute - American Model Builders - 1:87 scale - New York Harbor craft - Laser Kit