Deadeyes and ratlines and shrouds, oh my!

I've just about completed the hull of my Constitution cross section model and before too long I'll have to tackle the long dreaded process of setting up the deadeyes,shrouds, and ratlines. I have only a slight idea of what order to go about it. It looks like I'd first mount the lower deadeyes to the channels using the metal pieces provided in the kit (irons?). I know I have to run a piece of shroud up to the fighting top and back down the other side and install another deadeye on each end. How do I know exactly where to attach these deadeyes so the lacing of the lanyards comes out right, and each pair of shrouds ends up the right length?
I guess what I'm looking for is a basic tutorial on how to do standing rigging,start to finish. I'd appreciate any advice, links to tutorials, etc. Thanks!

Ok... that's not an uncommon problem as rigging is one of the dark arts.  ;)

Here's the way I'd do it, others my have different ideas as there's a lot of ways to skin a cat.

1) Mount the lower deadeyes.

2) Take a piece of brass or wire that will fit through the holes in the dead eyes.  Bend in a "u" shape such that when the jig is inserted into the lower deadeye and the upper deadeye, they are spaced properly.

3) Run the shroud.   Note that where the shroud wraps around thee mast, it should be seized do there's a loop.  Being the line down, through the next deadeye (using the jig to space it).  And then seize that deadeye. 

4) Repeat step for for the first two deadeyes on the other side of the ship.

5) Just add to each side, one at a time, back and forth so as not to put stress on the mast and bend it.

I hope this helps.  You might take a look at some of the build logs to see how they do it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

8 hours ago, Brewerpaul said:

). I know I have to run a piece of shroud up to the fighting top and back down the other side and install another deadeye on each end.

Paul,  Further to Marks, comments, and  I am not sure, but it sounds like you plan to attach a deadeye to one end for, say, the starboard side, then take it up and back down to the opposing deadeye on the port side.  This is not correct.   If even numbers of shrouds, they are set up in pairs, the first being forward most on the starboard side, then a pair port, next pair starboard, next port,  &c.  If odd, the aft most shroud (a swifter)  is done singular, one on each side, most often with an eye splice for each.    This is based on the British navy, but it may  be similar if not the same for the Constitution.  Keep in mind the order of dressing.  Again based on British ships, before 1810,  If you are including the pendants of tackles they go on before the shrouds, then the shrouds, then the stay and then the preventer stay.  

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Paul,  

Lees gives a description on pages 42 and 46 in Masting and Rigging of English Ships of War. The following is paraphrased.

Pendants of tackles were fitted each side of the main mast and foremast.  In large ships there were two a side and in ships smaller than 50 guns, only one per side.  When the two pairs were used they are set up like the pairs of shrouds.  When one per side, they were individual and each used an eye splice (like the swifter)  They are served their entire length and  after the 17th century are of a length that they would end at about the level of the upper catharpins.   Up to 1780 a single block was spliced into the end.  After that a thimble was used.  When there are two pendants per side, the aft ones are one foot longer than the forward ones.     

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

My two cents worth:

Mount the lower deadeyes to the channels with the metal strops and chains.

Constructing the shroud pairs:

Measure the length from the mast head to the deadeyes and then double it.  Use this length to make each shroud pair, then add some extra for turning in the upper deadeyes.

Middle the shroud and mark the center point.

If you wish to add worming, parcelling and serving do so now by servicing the middle third of each shroud pair.  The forward most shroud is serviced its entire length.

Form a bend in the center of the shroud pair of a size that will fit over the mast head and mark the point where the shroud pair passes over the trestle trees below the bolster.  Clap on a round seizing just below this point.

It is easier if you do all the above prep work off the ship.  Complete all of your shroud pairs. If you have an odd number of shrouds one one each side will be mounted singly with its own eye or the port and starboard single shrouds will be joined by means of a cont splice

Hoisting aboard the shrouds:

If you are mounting mast tackle pendants they go over the mast head first.

Use the jig that Mark mentioned above to set the position of the upper deadeyes for the first shroud pair.

Put the eye of the first starboard shroud pair over the mast head. Lead the shrouds down and turn in the upper deadeye.  Where the end crosses behind the standing part (looking from the outside of the ship) clap on a throat seizing.  The seizing will look like it is laying on top of the deadeye with the end of the shroud parallel to the standing part.

Bring the end of the shroud up alongside the standing part and clap on a round seizing a short distance above the throat seizing and then another round seizing the same distance again above that.

Don't trim the end of the shroud above the seizings until you have set up all of the shroud pairs for their full due with the laniards.

You can do all of this work off the ship too if you mark where the shroud end crosses at the top point of the upper deadeye

Next put the first port shroud pair over the mast head.

Repeat alternating starboard and port pairs until all the shrouds are over the mast head

Reeve the laniards through the upper and lower deadeyes, but do not haul taut yet.

Next over the mast head are the stays.

Setting up the shrouds:

Once the stays are hauled forward and set up taut  you can then set up the shrouds.  Haul taut the laniards in pairs alternating port and starboard so that you maintain equal tension on all shrouds.

I have heard it said that it is easier to maintain a balanced tension if you start with the aft-most pair first (personally untried).  Once the shroud is set up the laniard end is passed between the throat seizing and the upper deadeye with a hitch and the end is stopped to is own part.

Well maybe that was five or six cents worth.

Regards,

Edited by popeye2sea

Henry

Laissez le bon temps rouler ! 

Current Build:  Le Soleil Royal

Completed Build Amerigo Vespucci

Wow-- thanks for all of the valuable information. You guys * have already saved me from a lot of potential mistakes and hours of trying to figure out how to do this rigging. I never would have imagined that just getting a couple of pieces of string 😉 attached to the mast and hull could be so complex!  I'm further from that point than I had imagined, but it'll come.

Question-- is there any reason why I can't start/do the standing rigging before I make my yards. Getting that task behind me would be a relief and I could go back and forth between rigging and spar making to keep either from becoming too tedious.

Popeye--your comprehensive tutorial contains some terminology I'm not certain about and I'll compile those and ask you about them later.
Again,thanks all!

*as I typed "you guys" I wondered how many women build model ships. There's obviously no reason why they couldn't do as least as good a job as we menfolk and it's been my experience that most women have more of the requisite patience needed for this hobby.

Paul, I'm being cautious here, but can do the shrouds before the yards.  On a cross section, you'll have plenty of room to the yards and rigging for them  On full hull, think about 30 steps ahead as you'll have to reach through the shrouds or around them to do the rigging.  You may want to hold on the ratlines until the yards and rigging are installed.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)