Hello

I went and bought the Caldercraft HMS Sherborne kit. It's my first plank on bulkhead kit. Just started the build yesterday . 

So far I have removed the bulkheads and sanded smooth. I'm going to attach the keel pieces together next. My keel has three dark coloured woo pieces that attach to the main light coloured piece.

These three dark wood pieces are wider than the lighter coloured main keel. I'm curious how I should glue this up. Should I try to center the main piece so that the same amount sits proud on either side or should it be sanded so all pieces have uniform thickness? 

Thanks

IMG_20200331_203015.jpg

IMG_20200401_073503.jpg

Great to see another Sherbourne build. Welcome!

You may not have noticed in many of the other Sherbourne builds that it can help to do the planking first. This avoids the problem of damaging these parts as you sand the planking. This in turn allows centring of the keel and stem on the thinner longitudinal bulkhead. If you haven't read the other Sherbourne builds, do have a look as they will guide you through the process. In particular try Dirk's (dubz), Kester (Stockholm Tar) and Gregor as they have a lot of discussion about the historical details. You can find all these and others if you do a search for 'Sherbourne' and tick the box 'Content titles only'. This search will also reveal useful discussions about the Sherbourne.

Of course, if you have particular questions, don't hesitate to put them up on your log, or as specific questions in other parts of the forum. You'll find people really friendly and supportive here as they have all been through the same processes and mistakes. There are no stupid questions!

Tony

8 minutes ago, tkay11 said:

Great to see another Sherbourne build. Welcome!

You may not have noticed in many of the other Sherbourne builds that it can help to do the planking first. This avoids the problem of damaging these parts as you sand the planking. This in turn allows centring of the keel and stem on the thinner longitudinal bulkhead. If you haven't read the other Sherbourne builds, do have a look as they will guide you through the process. In particular try Dirk's (dubz), Kester (Stockholm Tar) and Gregor as they have a lot of discussion about the historical details. You can find all these and others if you do a search for 'Sherbourne' and tick the box 'Content titles only'. This search will also reveal useful discussions about the Sherbourne.

Of course, if you have particular questions, don't hesitate to put them up on your log, or as specific questions in other parts of the forum. You'll find people really friendly and supportive here as they have all been through the same processes and mistakes. There are no stupid questions!

Tony

Thanks I'll go have a look at those builds I didn't realise I could glue these later, I guess where to follow the instructions and where to adapt will become obvious with experience. Much appreciated 

Yes, the instructions that come with the kit are sparse and not very good. The build logs are a far better way of doing it. That's how I did mine.

Tony