What is a jewel iron and what does it look like?

I'm modeling the whaler Kate Cory from the Old Dartmouth Historical Society by Ronnberg. The diagram of the fore topsail yard shows a "jewel iron" at the end of the yard. It looks like a band with one or two tabs but the drawing is not clear. Can anyone offer any help or guidance?

Good Evening Roger;

Whilst I agree with WE's comment above, I also seem to recall that a rigging block fixed to the end of a yard was called a jewel block. Your diagram might mean this. Can you post a picture, which would probably settle it.

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to those who responded to the jewel iron question. Following suggestions for pictures I'm attaching 3 relevant photos. I will try to put them in this order:

1. Picture from the Ronnberg plans for "fore topsail yard."  As you can see it is short on detail.

2. The only reference I could find for "jewel" is from Underhill's Masking and Rigging book, page 190 and it refers to mounting jewel blocks in a different way.

3. Based on this information the third picture shows my attempt to model this feature. I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions or improvements.

P1060717.thumb.jpg.afbe663390b1b6eccd7549ca5e11fdd2.jpgP1060722.thumb.jpg.32dd9e6484b13fafc5ffc9907c922fa8.jpgP1060720.thumb.jpg.75bb05bc8522ada66fee6dd91982d3fc.jpg

From The New Shorter Oxford English Dictionary:

jewel-block (nautical). either of two small blocks suspended at the ends of main and fore-topsail yards, through which the halyards or studding-sails are passed.

There is no mention of 'jewel iron'. Hope this helps.

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Bruce's definition also agrees with  Falconer's (http://southseas.nla.gov.au/refs/falc/0743.html).

JEWEL-BLOCKS, a name given to two small blocks, which are suspended at the extremity of the main and fore-top-sail-yards, by means of an eye-bolt, driven from without into the middle of the yard-arm, parallel to it's axis. The use of these blocks is to retain the upper-part of the top-mast studding-sails beyond the skirts of the top-sails, so that each of those sails may have it's full force of action, which would be diminished by the incroachment of the other over its surface. The haliards, by which those studding-sails are hoisted, are accordingly passed through the jewel-blocks; whence, communicating with a block on the top-mast-head, they lead downwards to the top or decks, where they may be conveniently hoisted.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)