Hand Planing fixture

Beautiful workmanship and a very practical design, HYW!

Thanks for sharing your beautiful tools and jigs. While I'll probably never be capable of your metalworking skills, your devices are a great inspiration to me.

I'm not sure what the function of the yellow "bumper" (?) on the metal rod might be, but from your creative design, I can see how I can build an similar adjustable "sled" to mount on my lathe cross-slide. This will permit me to chuck a mast blank into a chuck mounted on my headstock and use the integral dividing head to plane tapering polyhedra as required. In such an arrangement, I can also use the lathe to turn the mast blank and obtain perfectly round tapers as well. In other words, I've already got the powered chuck and dividing head, so all I need to do is build the "taper jig" for my late. 

My "spar lathe" is a Craftsman/Atlas 12"X42" and there is a tapering jig for the lathe, but they are somewhat rare and quite expensive when one can be located. Unlike the manufacturer's tapering jig, your adjustable "sled" does not require the use of traveling backrest, which is a plus in terms of ease of operation.

Thanks again for sharing another great modeling tool. Keep them coming!

12 hours ago, CPDDET said:

I'd love to know more about that plane you're using

It looks like a current model Stanley No. 101 or a similar knock-off.  These are must-have modeling tools in my book.

Original Stanley 101 plane and squrrel tailed hand planes. (15/16" irons)

029a5361b7bb6b43d8478c1677aa0488.jpg

•  
    Current Stanley Model 12-101 with folded sheet metal body.

• stanley-12-101-wood-plane-12.jpg

Ten bucks on Amazon. Some places have them for as little as eight bucks. The new ones are made of folded sheet metal, but entirely serviceable. https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Tools-12-101-Small-Trimming/dp/B00DF3FP68/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

Kunz (Germany) still makes heavy cast iron copies of the old Stanley 101s in plain and "squirrel tail" styles. The squirrel tail is my favorite. Original old cast iron Stanley 101's are collectors items these days. Kunz's cast iron regular copy runs $20.00 and the squirrel tailed one goes for $21.00 from Highland Woodworking. I prefer the hefty feel of my Kunz cast iron ones over my current Stanley sheet metal bodied one, although the current Stanley 101 is lighter in an apron pocket. https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/kunzpalmplanewithhandle.aspx

415ZPWvM88L._AC_.jpg

For use in the jig set-up illustrated in this thread, I'd expect the sheet metal bodied current Stanley 101 would be more suitable as it would be easier to machine the body sides to accommodate the "sled runners" than would drilling and tapping a cast iron Kunz model.

Edited by Bob Cleek

3 hours ago, CPDDET said:

Seems I have a lot to learn about planes. 

I'm curious, what are the "legs" or standoffs bolted to the sides of the plane in the pictures?

The plane runs on the "rails" upon which those side plates run. The rails are adjustable as to the degree of taper desired. The side plates are adjustable to set the height of the plane above the work piece. The side plates are shop made and they are apparently fastened to the sides of the plane body with bolts which are placed in drilled and tapped holes in the side of the plane body.

23 minutes ago, Bob Cleek said:

The plane runs on the "rails" upon which those side plates run. The rails are adjustable as to the degree of taper desired. The side plates are adjustable to set the height of the plane above the work piece. The side plates are shop made and they are apparently fastened to the sides of the plane body with bolts which are placed in drilled and tapped holes in the side of the plane body.

Ingenious!

Current build: NRG Half Hull

Previous build: MS Bluenose 

50 minutes ago, CPDDET said:

Ingenious!

Yes. The mechanics of it are basically the same as a commonly used jig for scarfing full-sized joints in full-scale boatbuilding. It that application, a three sided open ended trough with sides cut to the desired scarf angle permit a plane or a router to slide on the inclined edges of the jig and cut the scarf in the face of the pieces to be scarfed.

• router_2D00_scarfing_2D00_jig1.jpg

• scarfing_jig-001.jpg

Thank you for your attention and discussion. I won't answer all the questions because there's too much space. Make a brief description here: 1 The yellow cylinder is the limit slider. In order to prevent the production of manual planing force in the sliding process, and many parts need to be processed are effective stroke, under which there is a "thimble" needed to process parts, to prevent parts from offset processing. The left and right sides of the base are respectively provided with two adjusting screws for adjusting the tilt angle of the base slide block. 3 The idea is based on a hand planer, the model listed in No. 6 upstairs is not suitable; the Planer itself has two side panels that can be used to adjust height and push-pull time limits; 4 usually thin and long parts are machined, although it can be easily accomplished with accessories on a lathe, machining Polyhedra without power heads and indexing devices is extremely difficult, even if there are no accessories on the milling machine. And some deformations are uncontrollable, so using this design in special cases is a conservative approach.