Unknown whaling bark by Sparkysparks - restoration and upgrade

So here's the start of a nice long and deep project. Unknown Whaling bark.  I have to assume that this is not a known ship but the builders idea of what one would look like. The first step I took was photo documenting the ship.  Old steel and copper wire was used for the back stays and to tie off the yardarms and pulleys  I stripped down all mast and deck fittings, shellac was removed from the deck and the hull was stripped due to orange peeling. The hull was found to be a half *** finishing job with tool marks, too much wood filler or non at all. The last one to paint the hull layed down a very thick coat of oil base paint with no primer. This filled in the gaps and imperfections. My next step is to prep the hull for paint. I still have some design elements to consider. For example the chin plates were slotted and no deadeyes were installed. I noticed that the stays on the mizzen were hitting the deck house and someone had cut groves into the Dh roof to compensate. So the new chain plates will be wider and drilled to allow period chain stays and deadeyes.  The gunnels need more frame members added. perceptually in the bow area. 

Question. Does anyone have a rigging plan for the Wander? The mizzen mast is my focal point for this question. It comes up through the deck house roof and I'm wondering where the halyards are belayed. OK now to dump all pics here.The dump is insurance against computer crash.

Note1. I'm trying to stay within the thought of doing no harm to the model. ie allowing its future caretaker to undo what I've done. The new paint will be acrylic. I thought of painting the inner gunnals and mast white but that would kill the charter of the original. The rigging will be completely redone with all the wires removed. Yardarms will get better detailing.

Note 2.  one of the cool things I noticed is how the deck fittings are attached. The builder used pelted dowels which require no glue. I thought this was brilliant and will use the same when replacing any fittings. Also any leads as to where I can find these?

Note 3. How old is this bugger? I'm guessing it was built in the fifties. My only clues are the tops and cross trees. they are made of nitrocellulose. Any thoughts about this are more then welcome. BTW they are almost dust now. So wood will be their replacements.

Note 4. Any help on mast rigging plans for pre civil war barks will get you on my Christmas card list. Also input on period fittings. TIA.

IMGL0143.JPG

IMGL0118.JPG

IMGL0119.JPG

IMGL0120.JPG

IMGL0121.JPG

IMGL0122.JPG

IMGL0123.JPG

IMGL0124.JPG

IMGL0125.JPG

IMGL0126.JPG

IMGL0127.JPG

IMGL0128.JPG

IMGL0129.JPG

IMGL0130.JPG

IMGL0131.JPG

IMGL0132.JPG

IMGL0136.JPG

IMGL0137.JPG

IMGL0138.JPG

IMGL0139.JPG

IMGL0140.JPG

IMGL0141.JPG

IMGL0142.JPG

IMGL0144.JPG

IMGL0145.JPG

IMGL0146.JPG

IMGL0147.JPG

IMGL0148.JPG

IMGL0149.JPG

IMGL0150.JPG

IMGL0151.JPG

IMGL0203.JPG

What a nice project! I look forward to its evolution.

Tony

Just for fun. I had the pleasure of hosting this model of the French frigate Hermione back when she made call on the east coast of the U.S. I forgot who built it. I was charged with transporting it to the ship  and setting it up for display when it tied up in Philadelphia.  The model was auctioned off later that evening during a private dinner on board.                                                   

11313027_10207081964277632_8398504600337253089_o (1).jpg

Back in the 1950’s A.J. Fisher listed plans of Wanderer in their catalog.  They are still in business owned by Model Expo?, anyhow if you google A.J. Fisher you should find them.  Maybe they can produce a set for you.

You might also wish to get a copy of the book “Whaleships and Whaling” by Church.  Great photos taken on board sailing whalers towards the end of the period.  Should be easy to find on used book sites.

Roger

What do you do with a drunken sailor? Ok Here is my little Cluster F that will be in mothballs for awhile. Artesania Latina's  USS Constellation. All I can say is WOW and shake my head. Mostly for the company's attempted hybreding of two ships. I know. Not really their fault. We can thank the first private owners of the second Conny and their hatchet job of history. The only thing I could think of doing to this lil train wreak is scrapping it for parts or modding the transom and main deck to be more accurate to the 18th century ship. I see a chain saw in the future of the transom. The hull lines are more Federalist then pre civil war. So no to replicating the one in Baltimore. Here's a few photos. Try picking out the build mistakes. Hint. Their are are so many that you could pin these on a dart board. and find then that way while drunk. lol.

IMGL0217.JPG

IMGL0213.JPG

IMGL0254.JPG

IMGL0207.JPG

Good start on the whaler.  As for the Constellatoin.... all I can say is "yikes! you have your work cut out for you.".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

I've been able to collect wood, dowels and tools over the past month. All from modelers estates. Lots of scrap and lots of good pieces. The air brush is set up but I need to build a paint boot w/ fan and filter. Along with a Lazy Susan or two for bench work and the booth. The whiler only needs a few things before priming and painting the hull. A new rudder and maybe a reshape of the rudder post and wider chain guides. Note. I started working on the Constitution. I'll x-fer the pics here and start a new post for her. The major items on her are to change the stern and forcastle to what they looked like at the turn of the 19th century. realigning and sizing the gun ports. decking over the gun deck and making it flush with the main deck, ala Constitution. The hull lines are too straght on this model but oh well. She will need a new rudder. The rudder post is not correct but I'll look into that when I tear down the stern. Again all this will be moved to a new build post.

Start a separate log for the Constitution would be the best way.  You'll end up with two logs but for anyone in the future, it's a better method of reference.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)