I finally took the plunge.

Since I’m on lock down from work due to the Covid-19 virus (I don’t have it my employer has sent me home with pay since me and my wife are high risk) I finally decided to build my first wooden ship model.  I ordered the Optimist Dingy Kit from Bluejacket Ship Crafters on 4/6/20.  My model building skills will be very rusty since my teenage years.  I think that will be a good starting point and I’ll build the Red Baron next.  I’ll wait to see what additional tools I need after I receive the kit and read the instructions and what I might already have.  I’ll try to do a build log as I go along.  It's good to be a new member after lurking for a few months and already have seen many useful tips reading the board.

Welcome!  Please ask lots of questions. Please start a build log so people can follow along with your work. No matter what kind of problem you have I’m sure someone around here can help you get around it. This is a great supportive site especially for new builders :10_1_10:

Welcome to Model Ship World.  As Michael said, please start a build log of your dingy.  We all like to see the work of others.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Welcome to MSW, James.   Doing a build log is one of the best tools.   Have a look here at the first four topics.  It should give you an idea of the essentials and the ones not to buy.  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-materials-and-tools.php

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.