Canoe by Voyageur - FINISHED - scale 1:12 - restoration project

Rainy weather allowed me to spend a little time in the workshop. I made brass stems. I used the Drexel tool to sand down a .125” brass rod. I used the back end of a framing hammer as an anvil. Made one to my satisfaction. Then the trick is to see if can I duplicate that. Usually not but this time I got lucky and made a pretty fair duplicate on the next attempt.

57005A43-D3F8-437A-BBDB-085CB0772381.jpeg

075EAC7C-0988-44AB-9DA5-90F4AE3F3F8D.jpeg

09A1836F-3D90-4258-948A-E4AFCFAB17DB.jpeg

72CB1E31-81A7-42A7-83BF-41DD9EB2ADA2.jpeg

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute

I turned my attention to the outwale and glued them in place. As you can see I went simple (KISS principle) and decided against any double gunwale. I had conversations with a local canoe restoration club and never really achieved a consensus on size so... I took the easy way out and cut off the lip and went for a traditional shape. Once they were in place, I glued on the keel.

945A3F06-5764-41E8-B54F-7BD928A0ECF7.jpeg

6E2B4BB9-8936-4FC2-8B36-0DCCCA8864E0.jpeg

CC180170-A9A7-4BE1-B3F9-705BC135BC7D.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

And finally, I glued in the seats and thwarts. I also had to clean out the gunwales where debris, sawdust and glue had deposited between the ribs.

Today was all CA glue. I used CA for all gluing. I noticed that it created a bit of “orange peeling” on the paint when I applied too much. Is that typical?
I took a picture with Pepe as the sternman before sending him back home to my sis.

I am calling this project complete. Thanks for all the likes and comments. I learned new skills and lots about canoe restoration on this one.

My next projuct is the half hull planking project. 

BAAFB8C2-FD87-4BE7-B1D1-F9B5AFFBB3C9.jpeg

C37E1209-D596-4ABE-8CAA-D0C9FA19AA64.jpeg

D05AD8BB-5CFC-4659-B2C5-749E73527471.jpeg

1BE3E4AC-021E-47A0-968E-F5D25C6F02F4.jpeg

FC386535-3AC4-454E-AB10-0C5629F8A6F3.jpeg

E5029059-D481-411E-AE6D-A1E0F2859784.jpeg

61E0DBD4-81D5-4E85-B1DB-6E84B07C07A1.jpeg

CD1AAD5E-70DC-401D-B9FD-C88713E283CC.jpeg

53E0772C-0D3A-4BDC-8B83-F39B9113C5A6.jpeg

5CBEBE1B-BF64-4A76-B614-00A30E9E6706.jpeg

~ Aristotle 

That is a canoe anyone would be proud to own.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

46 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

That is a canoe anyone would be proud to own.  

Much appreciated, thank you!

~ Aristotle 

34 minutes ago, Jim Cricket said:

Nice going! What's next?

Half hull planking project. Gotta work on my planking chops before I get into the big guns. 😁

~ Aristotle 

2 hours ago, Roger Pellett said:

Nicely done!

Roger

Thank you. And thank you for calling me out on my original plan. I appreciate the interest and guidance.

~ Aristotle 

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations! Well done!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me