Alfa Romeo Spider Gran Touring by gjdale - FINISHED - Pocher - Scale 1:8

Thanks for all the kind comments folks.

Mike - yes, the bodywork is painted. I chose colours as close as possible to the kit parts as I liked the colour combination. I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the paintwork in the end. I used Vallejo acrylics with Pledge/Future as the gloss clear coat. I think for the next one I will use enamel paints instead of acrylics as I believe these can be polished, whereas the acrylics just came off if I even showed them the polish! Current thinking is enamel paint with a 2K clear (probably Zero Diamond finish 2K clear).  I’ll certainly be doing a lot of testing anyway.

I’ll likely be doing a few more boat builds before the next Pocher though....

Congrats on finishing this beauty, Grant.   As others have said, the pics could be mistaken for the real car.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Grant, I bought some Zero paints and 2k coats to try out on some upcoming car builds in large part for the sanding/polishing issue with Vallejo paints.  

All that being said, your model came out great!  Paint job looks fantastic!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Mike,

I'd be very interested to hear/see how you go with the Zero paints and 2k clear.

drop dead gorgeous Grant!  the detail is exquisite.........the contrast of color is awesome too!  ;)   this was a really challenging model........you pulled it off masterfully!  congratz on such a beautiful model! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 5 months later...

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

"Missing" is the keyword because it's missing the frame, tires, and possibly some of the body panels. For the price it's a good for parts but there's no way you could get a finished model from what's there, IMHO.  

Edited by Keith Black

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

"Missing" is the keyword because it's missing the frame, tires, and possibly some of the body panels. For the price it's a good for parts but there's no way you could get a finished model from what's there, IMHO.  

of course it depends on what it sells for, but seeing individual bits going at silly prices, i guess anything selling individual bits would recoup itself 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

From what little I know about Pocher models, the Rolls Phantom is not one of the more popular models. Consequently parts for the Rolls are going to sell for less (or they should with the exception of tires and spokes) than the more popular models. I'd like to see someone buy that kit and make a model from what's there plus what styrene is required. That would be a kick in the pants build. 

You are going to hate me for this but as an Alfa owner with a 45 year history (currently own a 65 GT coupe) and also have several Pocher kits, please please get rid of the imitation wood dash panel. It makes the car look like a replica kit car. No Alfa spyder was ever made with that. All panels were painted black or silver or in some cases the body color.

alfadash.JPG

alfadash1.JPG

On 4/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, Kevin said:

of course it depends on what it sells for, but seeing individual bits going at silly prices, i guess anything selling individual bits would recoup itself 

i did initially bid on it, but it went for £82 , with quite a bit of interest at the end, thats ok if you wanted a box of bits, but nothing to build a kit from

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

6 hours ago, Yoshka said:

please please get rid of the imitation wood dash panel. It makes the car look like a replica kit car. No Alfa spyder was ever made with that. All panels were painted black or silver or in some cases the body color.

Perhaps before leaping in with this advice, you might do me the courtesy of a little more research. Here are two examples of actual cars with wooden dash panels. Whether they were “as built” or added later by subsequent owners I have no idea. But they do exist and I chose to make such a modification to my model. It is not for you to tell me otherwise.

2215_4.jpg.e07c8d084e339f80af0f4ea876df67e8.jpg

1895168748_ref(370).jpg.a34b5b7749945d5b7fd086bf491ae55b.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hello

Thank you so much for posting all this valuable information. I just purchased this kit, airbrush and the recommended DVD.

I was wondering about the colors, primer and clear coats for the airbrush. You mentioned Vallejo colors but I'm having trouble finding some of the colors you mentioned like "metal colour". Can you provide a list of Vallejo colors with the number they use so I can make sure I get the correct on? Also I was thinking of applying a gloss clear coat to the body of the car to make it look more finished. Would you recommend that or some other clear coat?

Thank you so much for your help and Happy New Year 2023!

Cider,

Thanks for dropping by. IF you look back over my log, you’ll see a note I made about using an airbrush with this size of model - a “standard” airbrush is really too small for the larger panels of the body work, although fine for the smaller parts and details. If you search YouTube for Paul Budzik, he has a range of great tutorial videos on airbrushing and types of airbrush/mini spray guns.

The Vallejo Metal Colours are a separate range of Vallejo paints. If you do a search for Vallejo Metal Colours, you should find the range. As for primer, I generally used the Vallejo grey primer. That said, next time around I would not use acrylic paints at all. For my next Pocher model, I’m planning on using either Lacquer or Enamel paints. The Zero brand of paint do a huge range of colours based on actual car colours (although mainly more modern cars).

For clear coating, next time around I would use a 2K clear coat over that. It’s nasty stuff, so needs a lot of PPE, but it gives an incredible gloss finish.

Hope this helps and please start a build log here when you are ready. It’s the best way to get help and advice.

• 4 months later...