Mahonesa 1789 by a.sorolla - 1:32 - 34-gun frigate - plans Fermin Urtizberea

Hi

In this drawing you can see the rear installations on the fake bridge

fragat11.jpg

And in this photo we can see it on the model of the frigate from above.

ma052027.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

And at the end we see these facilities at the level of the false bridge:

ma052019.jpg

ma052022.jpg

ma052026.jpg

Adrián

• 1 month later...

Beautiful work!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• 4 months later...

Hi

I write to justify the lack of news on this subject. I spent many months preparing the monograph of this Spanish frigate, using the plans of Fermín Urtizberea.
I hope to have the texts completed in two months, by the publisher ANCRE, soon.
The monograph consists of 38 plans at 1:48, commented, and the inclusion of many 3D drawings to serve as a guide when making the model, as well as as as a historical part that introduces us into the era of its construction and its career.
I’m putting in excerpts from the monograph, the book that accompanies the plans.

captur14.jpg

captur13.jpg

captur15.jpg

captur11.jpg

captur12.jpg

I wish you a happy new year

Adrián Sorolla

Edited by a.sorolla

• 10 months later...

Hello,
The monograph of the Mahonesa is already announced on the site of ANCRE,

Already the reservation can be made, the mono will be available on 30-11-2021(in French, Italian and Spanish)

Available in English in February 2022.

This is the direct link to the English monograph:

https://ancre.fr/en/monograph/123-la-mahonesa-fregates-espagnoles-1789-9782382820131.html#/langue-anglais

Adrián Sorolla

Captura de pantalla 2021-11-02_in.jpg

Edited by a.sorolla

Congratulations!  That looks awesome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi

Continuing with the construction of the frigate La Mahonesa

I have completed the realization of the mechanism of government, the helm that moves on the strainer, where it rests with the nail, and its movement is carried out by medication the pulls of the rudder, which goes through pulleys and tension maneuvers.

with some photos, you can see the result, and with a practical video

IMG_20220622_133734.jpg

IMG_20220627_235216.jpg

IMG_20220628_133603.jpg

IMG_20220628_133717.jpg

IMG_20220630_002256.jpg

IMG_20220630_002240.jpg

IMG_20220628_153155.jpg

IMG_20220628_133717.jpg

Edited by a.sorolla

• 10 months later...

Hi

In the previous message he showed that he was mechanizing the woods that form the water ways of the deck main of the frigate La Mahonesa, now this one is installed water ways, I put 2 photos taken from stern to bow and the other from bow to stern.

img_2021.jpg

img_2020.jpg

The next step for which I am preparing the woods, is the placement of the two water ways (against), this which is stuck to the side, and in the center the installation of the two sets of binding streaks, all these parts together with the knee deck are the main part of the structure of the deck, and since it is a battery deck are robust parts.

In a 3D graph of Fermín, in marked all these pieces for a better identification, which I guess will be useful to those who are not yet familiar with this type of structures.

detall11.jpg

The gutter ledges of the beams and ledges, will be installed then, and as final will cover the remaining space with tracks of boards of lesser thickness

In a zoom of the deck over the central area, (in the mid ship frame), we see where there is the investment of the layout of the structure, here in the deck is visible in the placement of the gutter ledges, we appreciate the shroud on one side of the beams, and more to the bottom in the same face of the bao is a notch, to insert the gutter ledges, the two halves look at the mid ship frame.

img_2023.jpg

Adrián Sorolla

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/28/2023 at 1:57 PM, wefalck said:

Very nice project, of which I have not been aware of before!

I suppose her name refers to the port of Mahón on Menorca, rather than to mayonnaise 😉

Regards from Valencia too ...

Hello 
The name of this frigate was " Santa Monica" alias "La Mahonesa" because it was built in the port of "Mahon" on the island of Manorca in the Baleares Islands in Spain

Though not far from the denomiation of "Mayonnaise", which is the deformation of the name of a salsa called "mahonesa", which was made on the same island of menorca, during the time that this belonged to England and is known internationally.

Adrián

• 4 months later...

And some photos of the inside of this frigate, made with the cell phone by the openings made in the side 

You can see the lighting coming from the unlined parts of the decks  

Some details of the construction can be obaservados in these photographs

pxl_2036.jpg

pxl_2035.jpg

pxl_2037.jpg

pxl_2038.jpg

cordially

Adrián Sorolla