M4A3 Sherman w/ 105 mm Howitzer & 75 mm Long Gun tanks by Jack12477 - 1:35 scale - Tamiya - FINISHED

53 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I love doing dioramas, just wish I had the space to display them.

That the reason I don't do them either, can't build a display cabinet big enough.....

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

awesome job Jack.........looks like a shot out of a movie! :)   the rocks look great too..........first class!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Excellent!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

WOW! I have no idea why postings like this don't show up on my computer until two days after they are posted!:(

Fantastic work Jack, I would not have been able to do as well even by going out back and getting real rocks! I'm jealous. I kind of like the the indoor pictures a little better, They look darker and more winter like for some reason. But I also think the shot where you are looking through the trees at the tank coming behind is classic as well.

Thanks for letting me watch and showing me how it is done.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

8 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Lou it is not as hard as you think, try it.

So says you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

58 minutes ago, lmagna said:

So says you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou, look on YouTube , search on "modeling using toilet paper "  from ther you will get a slew of other videos. I used one of them to find out how to do the snow.  All you need is a board, some rigid styrofoam packing sheets, and stuff you have in your driveway (gravel), etc.    

12 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Lou, look on YouTube , search on "modeling using toilet paper "  from ther you will get a slew of other videos. I used one of them to find out how to do the snow.  All you need is a board, some rigid styrofoam packing sheets, and stuff you have in your driveway (gravel), etc.    

I'll have to check those out! I used to used gyproc plaster for roads and run a couple of wheels through it before it set, but reading how you did your road with tissue sound easier. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

It is a little easier but be careful because the wet tissue tears easily.  I used 50-50 white school glue and water 

There are a lot of good how to videos on YouTube, Edward, that do a pretty good job of showing various ways to make some realistic dioramas.  Back in the 80s there was a guy who used to build some really authentic 1:35 scale armor dioramas and display them in our local hobby shop. To represent artillery shells he used spent .22 cal short ammunition shells. He also used dried grass , twigs, from his yard.. He was quite the master.  Unfortunately there were no digital cameras in cell phones to grab photos of his work back then. 

Edited by Jack12477

Edward, check if your UK hobby sources carry Woodland Scenics brand  diorama landscape supplies. They have some very good stuff for making realistic scenery, mostly started out for Model Railroaders layouts, but also great for dioramas

50 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

I used 50-50 white school glue and water 

The model railroaders standby, paintable, sprayable all purpose diorama adhesive....

The Woodland scenics molds are the best when it comes to reproducing rockfaces and outcroppings....

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Awesome diorama!!  Well done!

I told myself I can't start looking at armor kits.  First it was plastic ships - that led to plastic plane kits - which then led to plastic car kits on the shelf.  Must look away now...

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Just now, Landlubber Mike said:

I told myself I can't start looking at armor kits.  First it was plastic ships - that led to plastic plane kits - which then led to plastic car kits on the shelf.  Must look away now...

Over many years, I have tried to concentrate on a particular genre just to keep it reasonable. It never worked. I like them all. 😀

You have already seen it Mike. It's already too late! It is kind of like looking at Medusa, the affects of just one glance last forever. The dark side beckons!

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Toilet paper Jack!!!!!! :stunned::blink::o Are you not aware that we are in the midst of a pandemic and toilet paper is a crucial item?

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Are you not aware that we are in the midst of a pandemic and toilet paper is a crucial item?

Yes, I had to make the supreme sacrifice, Lou !😁😁😁😁😁 

That's a few less trips to the loo, my lad. Are you sure the Gov will allow that? :D

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Recycled paper is the trick   - Poo  that.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Just to let you all know I have decided to built the "sister" tank to this model, namely the M4A3 Sherman 75 mm gun version.  Since it is identical to this model except for the 75 mm gun,  I will not be doing a detailed step-by-step build log of it but I will post photos of the finished model here.

IMG_8321.JPG.a0abb26d14a7fd48ce9edbe9f1e4357d.JPG

Not sure about Ardennes stuff, Ken. I just like the model and decided to build a different variant like I've done with several other models in my collections. 

Edited by Jack12477

:D:D:D 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Canute said:

More Ardennes stuff, huh.;)😁

No, more Operation Cobra or Falaise pocket stuff.... It would have to be first army though by that time Patton's tanks had the 76.2 installed..

Quote:

I was looking at the suspension and the greatcoat on the one rifleman. They're all in gloves, too., so i thought late fall/winter. Could be Huertgen Forest, too. Anyhow, looking forward to see how this one turns out.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

26 minutes ago, Egilman said:

more Operation Cobra or Falaise pocket stuff

11 minutes ago, Canute said:

Could be Huertgen Forest, too

Could be "modeler's license" also 😁😁😁😁😁

On 4/28/2020 at 5:38 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

Don't fight it Mike. There are roughly 110 aircraft kits in my attic, and a few pieces of armor! 😄

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

21 minutes ago, Canute said:

I was looking at the suspension and the greatcoat on the one rifleman. They're all in gloves, too., so i thought late fall/winter. Could be Huertgen Forest, too. Anyhow, looking forward to see how this one turns out.

It is still non spaced VVSS with return rollers and T-51 rubber chevron tracks without duckbills, that makes it early French operations.... (although I do believe that Tamiya didn't include duckbills on any of their pressings) It could be as early as D-Day itself but the chevron tracks weren't issued to very many shermans until after the invasion....

Edited by Egilman

Quote: