Batavia by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Kolderstok - Scale 1:72

Thanks, Chris.  I appreciate the positive feedback.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Now we begin to get to the reason I was interested in this model.  The colors are beginning to go on.  Side planking turns green from here up with red and yellow accents.

Regards,

David

Colors.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

David; looking fantastic!  Thanx for sharing...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

A few odds and ends getting ready for the galleries and their intersection with the stern:

• "Leaded glass" on the rear windows, made by scoring acetate and then washing it with diluted black paint.
  • A decoration for the stern.  This doesn't come with the kit:  I took it from a stern-on shot of the real Batavia, and then photoshopped it into the right size.  This one you see is a test -- I wanted to see how the printer inks reacted when varnished.  They do fine, so when ready I can print another copy and mount it on the stern.
  • The gallery frames -- ready for planking.

Regards,

David

Leaded Glass.jpg

Decoration.jpg

Gallery Frames.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

[NOTE:  Pictures loaded in reverse order relative to the text, which this site sometimes does]

Continuing with the galleries, I have finished the port side gallery.  The port side is slated to be facing the wall, so it's my "try it first" side for complex parts of the build or things I'm not quite sure how to work through -- and this was one of those.

The galleries are a fun detailed challenge, and something of an engineering challenge to be sure they fit on the boat properly.  I posted the frameworks in my previous post -- I then planked and decorated them off the ship -- you can see that in the attached picture.  Note the end of the top rail that you can see at the top right.  This rides along the top wale and if you have followed the "tic marks" on the frames during planking (see my earlier posts), then the galleries line up with the stern parts (at least at the bottom).

There's also a pic of the port gallery mounted on the ship.  The top side planking that joins to the ship at the stern is the only part done on the ship, and you can see why -- I had to plank down a bit to get the alignment right.

This gallery begins to show the color scheme of the ship -- and it will pick up some additional fancy decoration later on when I glue on the resin figurines provided in the kit.  They will be yellow and that will look terrific against these colors.

Regards,

David

Gallery Mounted.jpg

Gallery Built.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

For something different to try before working on the starboard gallery, I decided to do one of the cabin bulkheads, and it really illustrated for me the importance of getting the sequence right on this model.

I built the cabin bulkhead off the model.  But in order to mount it, I needed to paint the corner black (the rest of that side bulkhead will be black) so I didn't mess up the green planking on the cabin bulkhead, and in order to do THAT, I needed to start the green overlapped planking toward the bow.  You can see the sequence requirement in the pictures.   The rough areas where the frame ribs were removed will be covered over with a long "box", but I didn't want to install that first as it would require cutting into the cabin bulkhead. 

I have seen pictures of other models that painted this cabin bulkhead black (and the other ones to come), but I really like the green color on this boat, and the side bulkheads will be black, so it's a nice offset (even if not authentic to the real Batavia).

Regards,

David

Door Bulkhead 1.jpg

Door Bulkhead 2.jpg

Door Bulkhead 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

1 hour ago, drobinson02199 said:

it really illustrated for me the importance of getting the sequence right on this model.

I know where you're coming from, David. It seems you always have to be thinking ten steps ahead if you want to avoid painting yourself into a corner. 

And we don't actually know the colour scheme of the real Batavia. What they have on the full-size reconstruction is based on educated guesswork. But what you're doing looks very good indeed.

I assume the stern decoration you referred to was the coat of arms of Amsterdam?

image.png.0a2c1d0c3af6dea329fa58f6cd6659c4.png

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

Now the starboard gallery is done.  I did some surgery on the framework where it meets the stern that allowed me to get the short connecting planks straight on this side -- which is my "good" side.  :D

Regards,

David

Starboard Gallery.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

My experience when I build a model is that it's always having a "good" and a "bad" side.

But looking at the models I build some 40 years ago (like the Norske Löwe from Billing Boats) I don't see a good or bad side anymore. 🙂

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Hans:  Is that because your "bad" side wasn't actually bad, or because your eyesight is going with age (like mine)  😜

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Haha 😋 - I was around 20 years old then. Eyes were good (and still are - I don't need glasses or a loupe or whatsoever...).

But my skills were not yet that good in those days.

Edited by *Hans*

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

On 4/11/2020 at 1:38 PM, drobinson02199 said:

I'm going to start on the Batavia by Kolderstok.  I was attracted to this model because of the colors (see Pic #1), and also because I wanted to try out a Kolderstok model.

What's in the box:

• Laser cut boards
  • Lots of wood
  • Parts
  • Instruction manual and plan sheets

Note the manual -- I really like manuals with accompanying pictures.

There's also an interesting parts bag with white resin-like parts.  I haven't seen this before.  Either it's injection molded, or possibly done on a 3D printer, which would be a first for me.

I ordered this model directly from Kolderstok (http://www.kolderstok-models.com/index.en.html), and I want to particularly commend the wonderful pre-sale service I received from Hans van Nieuwkoop.  I had outstanding communication from him via email, and he offered me several different customization options, one of which (an all-walnut second-planking) I took, because I like the look of all-wood hulls vs. painted hulls.  Really excellent service and professional shipping.

So here we go on another one.  I haven't seen any logs on Batavia, so I hope this one contributes.

Regards,

David

In the Box 1.jpg

In the Box 2.jpg

In the Box 3.jpg

In the Box 4.jpg

Hi David, Am I glad you are tackling this build.

Im buying this model today so I’ll be your number one fan and will follow every step of the way on your posts.

Bluebeard -- Glad to hear it.  This means that my many mistakes will have some lasting value.  😄

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished the cabin bulkhead at Frame 9. 

• First, I had to build up the side planking a bit so that I could paint the inside corner black.
  • Then I painted and installed the two side bulkheads and the span between them.

What's left is the unfinished side bulkhead.  Next step is to build a "box" to cover the area where the ribs were removed, then install spars and paint it all black.

Regards,

David

Frame 9-1.jpg

Frame 9-2.jpg

Frame 9-3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I referred in my post above to the "box" across the side bulkhead.  Here's how I built it:

1. I created a simple jig to get the top of the box level.  Prepainted the ends so I wouldn't have to paint near the green cabin bulkheads
  2. Glued the top to the side bulkhead, covering the rib stubs
  3. Prepainted a soffet (for a clean line at the deck) and glued it on.

Now I can install the spars on top of the box and then paint it all black.

I'll use this same approach on the other decks as I move up.

Regards,

David

Box 1.jpg

Box 2.jpg

Box 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Spars installed on the side bulkhead.  One picture pre-painting to show the pattern, and one after painting.  There will be a cap rail on top.

Regards,
David

Spars 1.jpg

Spars 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Three hatches done.  The two red ones are simulated canvas using T-Shirt material and paint. 

The wooden one on the quarterdeck was difficult.  I had trouble with glue adhesion on the hatch material, and also with sanding.  Did the best I could and then varnished it, and what I got was a "weathered" hatch, which looks fine on the boat -- better than in the pic.

Regards,

David

Hatches 1.jpg

Hatches 2.jpg

Hatches 3.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

The rest of the side planking is up.  This is overlapped, clapboard-style.  Goes up pretty quickly.

Next step will be to remove the frame ribs and start working on the cabin bulkheads and spars on the side.  I want to do those before painting the exterior as I'll need to sand the spars down to be level with the top of the sides.

Regards,

David

Overlap 1.jpg

Overlap 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Hans -- That's what being in lockdown will do!   :default_wallbash:

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Built and installed the cabin bulkhead at Frame 12. 

The three pillars are made of molded resin.  There are a lot of these parts, and this is the first time I've run across this material.  It's a joy to work with -- easy to separate the pieces, and they clean up easily with a file.

Regards,

David

Frame 12.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

David, sorry for asking but shouldn't the stairs and pillars stand on the deck? They seem somewhat elevated now.

Yankee D -- No problem asking. 

Regarding the pillars:  you are correct when viewing carefully from the photo angle, but from a normal viewing angle you can't tell.

Re the ladders:  I debated whether to have them standing on the deck (slanted) or vertical and attached to the bulkhead, and chose the latter treatment.  Maybe I'll change that for the main deck ladders, which are more visible.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Peter:

Welcome aboard!  Glad you are interested.

You are right -- I am really enjoying this build.  It has a number of new differences and challenges from other models I have built, and I really love the way the colors work.  The materials quality in this kit is excellent -- on a par with the Amati Victory series, which has been my gold standard for kit quality.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

I made a jig to help with installing the spars to keep them properly spaced and parallel.

Regards,

David

Jig 1.jpg

Jig 2.jpg

Jig 3.jpg

Jig 4.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

You may have already come across this link to photo's of the Batavia on the internet, I've  consulted the photos extensively as a reference for my Fluyt build.

When in doubt consult the actual ship by built by experts, being able to click and zoom in on various  details of the Batavia has been a  great aid.

https://www.modelships.de/Museums_and_replicas/Batavia/Photos_Batavia.htm

50 minutes ago, robert Lamba said:

You may have already come across this link to photo's of the Batavia on the internet, I've  consulted the photos extensively as a reference for my Fluyt build.

When in doubt consult the actual ship by built by experts, being able to click and zoom in on various  details of the Batavia has been a  great aid.

https://www.modelships.de/Museums_and_replicas/Batavia/Photos_Batavia.htm

Hi,

In addition, this is a link where you can see the Batavia and walk in 3D on the decks of the Batavia, just like in Google Streetview.

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=8MMqvWkQQe8

Alex

-------------

Next build:

Definitely highest on my list is the Batavia (Kolderstok), just need to find some more time before I will start.

Finished Builds:

(2023) Friesland 1663 1:75 (Mamoli). https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24314-friesland-by-alex-k-mamoli-scale-175/

(2013) Half Moon 1:50 (Corel) http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/210-half-moon-by-alex-k-corel-150-halve-maen-completed/

(1988) Norske Lowe 1:75 (Billing)

(1986) Oseberg 1:25 (Billing)

(1985) Bounty 1:50 (Billing)

Alex and Robert:

These are both wonderful sites.  Thank you for sending them to me!

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Finished installing and painting the spars between frames 9 and 12.  The little jig made the alignment come out well.

Built and installed the cabin bulkhead at Frame 14.  Now I'll do the spars between 12 and 14.

As you can see, I'm working my way back to the stern, after which I'll paint the exterior hull and do the railings (which promise to be a real challenge to get right).

Regards,

David

Spars.jpg

Frame 14.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area