Batavia by drobinson02199 - FINISHED - Kolderstok - Scale 1:72

For fun, I took this picture of the yards with varnish drying.  They look like sausages hanging.   :P

I may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but before starting the masts and yards, I went through all of my dowels and labeled them in terms of which piece would be shaped from them.  Important so you don't run out of a size you need.  You'll notice one of the yards is darker.  That's natural walnut that I took from my spare wood supply -- the others are stained.  The issue was that the dowel I had allocated for that yard was double the diameter needed (the only option), and when I got to it I didn't feel like shaping all that wood down.  I did have a walnut piece that was the right diameter, so used that.  The mismatch in color isn't as dramatic as it looks in the picture.

Regards,

David

Yards Drying.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

Currently Building:  Amati Bismarck

Lower main yard mounted.  Close up of parrel beads & blocks.

Regards,

David

Lower Main Yard.jpg

Parrel.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Completed:  Constructo J.S. Elcano, Artesinia Latina Sanson, Dumas Mt. Washington, Bluejacket Nantucket, Amati Revenge, Artesania Latina  King of the Mississippi, 

Amati Grand Banks Heritage 46, Amati HMS Fly, Amati Titanic, Dumas Chris Craft Commuter, Mantua Cutty Sark, Mantua Bruma, Kolderstok Batavia, Vanguard Models HM Cutter Alert, Caldercraft HMS Victory, Dumas USCG Fast Response Cutter

All yards now mounted.  Ready for running rigging.

Regards,

David

Yards1.jpg

Yards2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Lower yard lifts done; lateen yard rigged.  Actually, partially rigged.  There is some more rigging from the lateen to the mizzen that I have to do.

Regards,

David

Lower Yard Lifts.jpg

Lateen Yard.jpg

Edited by drobinson02199

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

And here's the remaining lateen rigging that wasn't in the previous post.

Regards,

David

Lateen Finished.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Now all the yard lifts are up.

Regards,

David

Yard Lifts.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Running rigging is complete now.  All that remains is the rear flagpole, the rear lantern, the flags, and the stand.

Getting close!

Regards,

David

Running 1.jpg

Running 2.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

She's coming along great, very nice work!

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Batavia is finished!  Completion photos have been posted to the kit-built ship gallery.

Kudos to Kolderstok Models for a really high quality kit, and thanks to Hans (the owner of Kolderstok) for all of his help at times along the way.

Regards,

David

Batavia 1.jpg

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

Thanks, Hans.  7 months almost to the day, which for me seems like a longer time.  My longest build to date.

Regards,

David

David Robinson

Boston, MA area

• 1 year later...