New Bedford Whaleboat by Cap'n Rat Fink - FINISHED - 1/16th scale scratch build by Mario

THANK YOU JOHN, MARK, N JOHANN, AND ALL THE LIKES TOO!!!

OK NOW HERE WE GO....

I AM COMING DOWN NOT VERY MUCH ELSE TO DO ON THE BOAT ITSELF. SO I WILL BE FOCUSING ON ALL THE EQUIPMENT THAT GOES INTO THE BOAT. PLUS HOW I WILL DISPLAY THE MODEL. SO THINGS MAY BE SLOWING DOWN A BIT ON MY PROGRESS. I HOPE NOT TOO MUCH BECAUSE I REALLY WANT TO GET BOTH MODELS DONE SO I CAN GO ONTO OTHER PROJECTS.

I DECIDED TO GO WITH A DIFFERENT CONFIGURATION ON THE SAILS. BY ADDING A JIB, BOOM AND A GAFF. JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD LOOK GOOD AND IT WAS AN OPTION WITH SO MANY CONFIGURATIONS THESE WHALE BOATS HAVE.
1368.JPG.41ad66e0bbfb573acac0ff5fbf62e530.JPG

1369.JPG.0297f8816450c5d2304e726639d98551.JPG

1370.JPG.56def77deb6a0c95d8da8b268973feb7.JPG

1371.JPG.98c9e42dc8ebf03b5774fabef045bf34.JPG

1372.JPG.409d80a6533b1f9d533bb3566ac082db.JPG

1373.JPG.165b0d73697e2b9989df0e2927c5d27b.JPG

1374.JPG.3fad7601c9ce07c24626391f4d603630.JPG

1375.JPG.e7f29e3a9a486ad311efd32291c52747.JPG

1376.JPG.cd79f60d62389e92f2554030d543669f.JPG

1377.JPG.2019dc989617f06d55cdd069f5a57b0e.JPG

1378.JPG.9222db1c2d5acf3ad475278ce6d538ec.JPG

1379.JPG.2ccfb9239c15baf777a730ba73c06e74.JPG

1380.JPG.fd15f5221c190751879022b66d59897a.JPG

1381.JPG.07f4da0720b3100ad78f13c5c6a51964.JPG

HAPPY MODELING

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

• 11 months later...

Now it has been a while since I posted anywhere, for that matter. This year has been a very long and rough year for my family and me. Things have calmed down some. And I am just now getting back into doing some enjoyable without the guilt you might say.

I have started working a little on the whale so i can finish it off. I hope this to be getting a little more regular, but just hoping the problems that cropped up will stay at bay long enough to get at a more regular life. These problems will be with us for the rest of our lives but we will be able to manage them God willing. So I will be posting some time down the line to finish this model off. Talk to you all later and hope LIFE has been good to all!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Great to see you back, Mario.  I hope things do calm down and stay calmed down for you.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys so very much. 2021 turned out to be worse then 2020. But it looks like we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Long story short 2 of our kids caught the virus late 2020. Early 2021 our daughter ended up with a live time illness. She now has M.S. But with the new meds the Dr's have stabilized it. Our oldest son ended up mental problem that went to the brink and scared the living hell out of us. it turns out he had a bacteria that was causing most of the problems. But he is now getting better. He is not out of the woods yet, but he is getting. And finally my wife and I took on tremendous stress and anxiety and just plain scared. I was able to cope, but wife started having heart problems. Long story short on her, she ended up having heart surgery and she is doing well.
With our faith in God we were able to get to this point. Where things are getting back to normal. THE ONLY ADVICE I CAN GIVE ALL OF US IS......TAKE THIS VIRUS SERIOUSLY BECAUSE CAUSES OTHER PROBLEMS DOWN THE ROAD. BE SAFE AND GOD'S BLESSING TO ALL OF YOU!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

So back to my boat now that I fill good to work on it. Just couldn't have a good time until our family pulled thru this mess.

I am just about finished with all the bits that go on and in this boat. So now going to get the display board going and just a few more items to create and i will be done.

The parts with the clamps are the flags. Still need to paint the material red. The oars just need the stripes painted on them and they are done.

1381.JPG.4bf23a6ddd9ccdfb18201acafb8b10f1.JPG

1382.JPG.3de64730b803519ddcf98b191e869d7b.JPG

1383.JPG.fad5643b62579d3cba94acab3cef1952.JPG

1384.JPG.c6c9539dde642d506925f84acb9b3c41.JPG

1385.JPG.40db2a0988682566ec59fd415e7f2a9d.JPG

1386.JPG.073b7b5e315a74cdcc5041d9ee31f83e.JPG

1387.JPG.ab690f12ff64e93e8643577380d69836.JPG

1388.JPG.2ff1b77be6d20a2871005173dec94225.JPG

Have a good day my friends!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Sorry you had all those problems going on Mario and I'm glad you and yours got through them.  Been a bit of a nasty year and it still goes on from what I'm seeing here.  

The model work looks great.   I hope it's giving you something else to focus on besides everything else.   We need to blow off steam and relax somehow.   

Peace, brother.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 3 weeks later...

THANK YOU MARK!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

HEY EVERYBODY,
Well as I surely get closer and closer to the finish line here. Just wanted to show some more of acceries being added to the boat. The eye's for the shrouds seemed simple enough, until I realized I had to put them together on the boat.
What I did was thread the line thru the hole in the hull and glued both ends together. Not caring too much about the glue job, as long as it was a good glue joint. Because when I seize it you wont see it. I used the 3rd hand to secure it while seizing and letting the glue dry.
I noted the clumsy cleat because Ronnberg and Ansel show it with leather. But yet Ronnberg's model show it with no leather padding. So I figured it was one of many ways these were left.
Still need just a few more items and then i work on the display board and take it from there. I wanted to rig the sails, but decided not to. I like sails but it would just make the display case even bigger. Have too many of those bigger cases, so gotta go the other every now and then.

Thanks you!!!
1389.JPG.9e31acae13a770e1b747cfe0d97b6934.JPG1390.JPG.0c5413704ce1cf14a52f491313da4e97.JPG1391.JPG.923a3e467c77629a2ae8a49ff28e6d4e.JPG1392.JPG.6a4e86c264000e8cb78bfb7a60bb7c5e.JPG1393.JPG.6d260d9b9b0b8c5c9f35bfe3c06ef480.JPG1394.JPG.6acc87dfc76781b795753ab89486ee4f.JPG1395.JPG.8ee450423f9ebd0408b7153bc5037925.JPG1396.JPG.75b00d883fa83043cb7a66a8bbe15396.JPG

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

AND A FEW MORE ADDED DETAILS!

1397.JPG.fd50fe2780f15682c2855c59f4a99b9b.JPG

1398.JPG.a0eb2054c6fa3a4cb86974aad1a9e992.JPG

1399.JPG.e74a1b4c5917c2b68360638df26f801b.JPG

1400.JPG.3899317346a4a8783ed5117f52d9e27c.JPG

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Looking good from here also, Mario.  About ready to go whale hunting it would appear.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

So many bits... so little time! She has really come together smartly and the colors and wood choices are great. Great project.

Mike

• 7 months later...

hello Everyone,
Just wanted to say I am done with this model. I drifted away from this in November last year because of the holidays. 2021 was a rough year with my wife, 2 of our 5 kids, all getting very sick. We all pulled through it.
But she wasn't done with us yet. My dad past away 2 days after Christmas which was very hard and still is for all of us. God blessed with him for 91 years. My mom n dad were married for 64yrs. We are a big family that has always remained close. So 6 months later it is still hard and it will be that for a while.
So I disappeared for a while after our loss. But just trying to get going with life again and i guess that means working with models again.
I have one picture of how I will mount and display the boat. I did not want to pile all the equipment into the boat because you wouldn't be able to see the boat. HAHA! I hopefully will add more pictures later. When I am done with the display board. I hope all of you are doing well in this crazy world of ours.

later to you all and have a good day!!!

Mario

IMG_0050.JPG.c0a79dd1360d317d053bd4c193ab7d2a.JPG

Edited by Cap'n Rat Fink

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

It's great to see you back and that you finished the project, Mario.   Sorry to hear of all the life issues and the rough time you've had.  I hope life stays calm for you and yours.

I do like the way you're planning on presenting the model.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 7 months later...

Didn't see this before Mario/ @Cap'n Rat Fink , very nice indeed!

There is so much going on in that planned display so it takes a while to take it all in 🙂 

Also hope that you and your family has managed to get through the hard times.

All the best and Blessings to you!

Happy modelling!

Håkan

Current build: Atlantica by Wintergreen

Previous builds

Kågen by Wintergreen

Regina by Wintergreen

Sea of Galilee boat, first century, sort of...

Billing Boats Wasa

Gallery:

Kågen (Cog, kaeg) by Wintergreen - 1:30Billing Boats Regina - 1:30Billing Boats Dana