Sign in to follow this  
VinceP

1/72 PT-109 into a 1/87 scale coast gaurd cutter

I have a 1/72nd scale revell 1980's kit.

And I'm wanting to cut and alter the hull to make a 1960's-1970's era Coast Guard Cutter.

But have no idea where to find an image,  drawing,  or plan of this cutter. 

I will be building from the deck up from scratch and the hull will be cut to narrow it down. 

My main issue is the length I'm after is 95 feet to 125 feet,  then I have no idea what my beam would be along with my draft/draught.

I have a 1/87 ho scale ruler to get my scale measurements from. 

Sorry if some of this is repetitive not trying to. 

Thanks for any and all assistance it's much appreciated. 

Hello Vince, I'm a Coast Guard veteran and the Cape class of cutters was 95 feet in length. 36 of them were commissioned in the mid to late 1950's and continued to be in service for many years after that. Most of them have now been sent to foreign countries and the others have been decommissioned. They had a beam of 20 feet and a draft of 6' 5". I did not serve on one of them but I've been aboard several of them in the late 60's. 

You can read more about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape-class_cutter

1117439816_ScreenShot2020-04-16at12_16_50PM.png.901c1c02040585507fd188bec86b440f.png

To be honest Vince, I can't imagine why you would want to try bashing a PT into a USCG patrol boat. The CG never had boats of the size you are interested in with a planing hull.

As for measurements, I have one of the old 95 footer models and you are welcome to take the needed measurements from it if you wish. 

On 4/17/2020 at 1:04 AM, lmagna said:

To be honest Vince, I can't imagine why you would want to try bashing a PT into a USCG patrol boat. The CG never had boats of the size you are interested in with a planing hull.

As for measurements, I have one of the old 95 footer models and you are welcome to take the needed measurements from it if you wish. 

Going to be a waterline model. 

But your right the hulls are very different thanks for pointing that out. 

And yes any measurements would be deeply appreciated. 

On 4/16/2020 at 12:23 PM, BobG said:

Hello Vince, I'm a Coast Guard veteran and the Cape class of cutters was 95 feet in length. 36 of them were commissioned in the mid to late 1950's and continued to be in service for many years after that. Most of them have now been sent to foreign countries and the others have been decommissioned. They had a beam of 20 feet and a draft of 6' 5". I did not serve on one of them but I've been aboard several of them in the late 60's. 

You can read more about them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape-class_cutter

1117439816_ScreenShot2020-04-16at12_16_50PM.png.901c1c02040585507fd188bec86b440f.png

Okay night need some help then as the cutter we had here in the 1970's was named the point no point wasn't a cape class 

1 hour ago, VinceP said:

Okay night need some help then as the cutter we had here in the 1970's was named the point no point wasn't a cape class 

The Point class cutters were 82 footers. 79 of them were built between 1960 and 1970 and 26 of them were deployed to Vietnam during the war. They were 82' 10" in length, had a 17' 7" beam and the draft was 5'11".  They have now all been transferred out and the last one active in the US was in 2003.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-class_cutter

On 5/6/2020 at 6:26 PM, BobG said:

The Point class cutters were 82 footers. 79 of them were built between 1960 and 1970 and 26 of them were deployed to Vietnam during the war. They were 82' 10" in length, had a 17' 7" beam and the draft was 5'11".  They have now all been transferred out and the last one active in the US was in 2003.

You can read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-class_cutter

That's the link I needed. 

Could sworn it was the point no point. 

The one here was the Point Doran

Helps a lot thanks. 

Now to find some plans with measurements and hull angles. 

Thanks all. 

It'll be a waterline ship as I'll be using T stock as the mounting point for my inner bulkheads and such. 

18 minutes ago, VinceP said:

Helps a lot thanks. 

I'm glad to have been of assistance, Vince. It would be great if you make a build log of the cutter you're making. We rarely get to see any Coast Guard Cutter models here on MSW. Good luck!

We could still use the 95' hull as a basis for drafting the lines for the 82' boat. Using the numbers above the ratio of hull length to beam is almost the same, 4.75:1  on the 95' boats compared to about 4.61:1 on the 82' boats. The hull form is almost identical.

I live just down the street from you so the logistics would not be that hard to handle.  

image.png.8d152c684ee526f4899e48848a42ea55.png

Bear with me in this build, as at present I'm trying to finalize some custom model railroad paint work for a few friends.

When done I can start on this beast.

To many projects and not enough time in a day lol. 

On 5/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, lmagna said:

We could still use the 95' hull as a basis for drafting the lines for the 82' boat. Using the numbers above the ratio of hull length to beam is almost the same, 4.75:1  on the 95' boats compared to about 4.61:1 on the 82' boats. The hull form is almost identical.

I live just down the street from you so the logistics would not be that hard to handle.  

image.png.8d152c684ee526f4899e48848a42ea55.png

Thanks much do you by chance have an overhead/down in view/line drawing of the Point class. 

I know asking a lot thanks for any help it's very much appreciated all

I don't have a set of plans but like I said before I do have the Lindburg kit and it would be a simple matter to make a set of plans from that. You live just down the street after all.