Termi

Termi

Hello everyone.

I am fairly new to wooden model ship building so I'm full of questions, sorry.

I have just finished building after a fair amount of time the ARTESANIA King of the Mississippi 2 Steamboat.

Now I am ready to tackle Corel HMS Neptune. Do any of you have any comments good or bad on Corel Models. Thanks

Welcome to MSW.  Sorry I can't answer your question as I've never done a Corel model.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

:sign:

Same as above, but someone here will be able to help 👍😁

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

:722972270:

Mark
Phoenix, AZ

Current builds;

Previous builds, in rough order of execution;
Shipjack, Peterbrough Canoe, Flying Fish, Half Moon, Britannia racing sloop, Whale boat, Bluenose, Picket boat, Viking longboat, Atlantic, Fair American, Mary Taylor, half hull Enterprise, Hacchoro, HMS Fly, Khufu Solar Boat.

On the shelf; Royal Barge, Jefferson Davis.

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Hello, Termi.

I have only built one Corel kit, their schooner Flying Fish, which I bashed as Jack London's Ghost for a teacher friend to use as a visual aid when doing a unit on The Sea-Wolf. It was truly an awful kit with a long list of issues. However, I have heard members speak well of higher-end Corel kits -- I guess it's one of those "get what you pay for" things.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Welcome aboard Termi...Moab

Completed Builds:

Virginia Armed Sloop...Model Shipways

Ranger...Corel

Louise Steam Launch...Constructo

Hansa Kogge...Dusek

Yankee Hero...BlueJacket

Spray...BlueJacket

26’ Long Boat...Model Shipways

Under Construction:

Emma C. Berry...Model Shipways

Hi all and thanks for the welcome messages and tips.

The problem I'm finding with the Corel HMS Neptune is constructing the the hull. Firstly the 'ribs' took some file work to make them fit to the keel. Secondly now they are in place but not glued the top levels vary slightly: Question is do I file down the high ones or pack up the low ones so the decks sit properly? I don't want to throw out the rest of the building process.

Secondly I have a rib that is slightly smaller in width than the others which could be a problem when blanking.  

Maybe I've picked a duff kit, hey ho I'll bash on regardless.

As you can guess I could do with your expert help and advice.

Once the ribs are in the places they need to be, and glued, you'll need to  "fair" it.  Use a long sanding stick or block and a have a piece of the planking handy.  Sand lightly, not aggressively, such that the plank lies well on each bulkhead.  Also, open a build log so others can follow along and offer advice when needed.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The problems you've come across are not at all unusual with kits. Wood warps, shrinks etc, and kit parts aren't necessarily perfectly made in the first place. Apparently Corel, unlike most other kitmakers today, still has its cutting done by hand rather than by laser. How much variation (in inches or millimeters) is there in the height of the frames (ribs)?

I'm not familiar with the kit, so can't give a definitive answer, but if the difference is very small it shouldn't matter whether you cut down the high ones or pack the low ones to be higher. However, maybe you should check whether you can see anything in the drawings that might show whether you have any critical clearances, that changing the deck height might affect. 

I've just checked images of the model - that's a nice looking ship, by the way. Deck height would perhaps affect the height of the upper gunports - but you can probably adjust all that as you do your planking, as long as you are aware of it in advance as a potential problem. 

Also, just check that your keel is straight - often a problem in kits (it can be fixed, however if it's not too severe).

Good luck with it, and do put up a build log. A lot of very helpful people on this forum.

I've sent you a PM which I hope will help.

Steven

As you asked, I have built one Corel kit and swore never to again as I found the instructions, materials, and kit design rather poor and frustrating. However, there is no doubt that even a bad kit can be completeted successfully and attractively with enough perseverence, patience, and research into the necessary skills to overcome its flaws. So keep at it if you really like this particular prototype. As others have said, starting a proper build log is likely the best way to get ongoing help with your build.

12 hours ago, Termi said:

Thank you Bilge Rat for that info, much appreciated.

Bilge Rat is job, not name.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: