Mayflower by drake1588 - Model Shipways - First wooden ship build

This is the building of the frame with the Bulkheads glued to the false keel,they are  beveled at the bow and stern.The gunports are framed,everything fitted very well with minor sanding.The false decks are installed.I should have used a single first plank from bow to stern but was nervous bending my first plank and now will need to make some adjustments later on.I did add extra filler blocks at the bow and made my first attempt at planking the lower stern. The vise shown is a sears hobby vice.It holds ,adjusts and swivels

post-3719-0-82197500-1369793582.jpg

post-3719-0-93177600-1369795541.jpg

post-3719-0-13028600-1369796842.jpg

post-3719-0-79685900-1369796961.jpg

Hello Rick,

Thanks for sharing your buildlog with us. You're off to a good start.

And I must say, you've got a nice vice there.

May I ask you to put the link to your buildlog in your signature?

This explains how: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/760-how-to-add-a-build-log-link-to-your-signature/

Good luck with your build.

Anja

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you friends for your kind comments and encouragement!These  six pictures are new.I enjoyed the planking,It was a fun work.I know I will have to get better on the second planking,there was some areas that were a little uneven as I planked and at the end some planks were both narrow and wider at places.My theory is it would be better for me to plank from top to bottom and then adjust the garboard strake (which is wider anyway )and the one next to it instead of going from top to middle and keel to middle where I ended up a little off. Also in the pictures are some deck planking with tree nails ,stained and hatches.Please feel free to share any thoughts or comments. I will enjoy hearing from  MSW friends , Rick.

post-3719-0-65064400-1379384553_thumb.jpg

post-3719-0-08094700-1379384571_thumb.jpg

post-3719-0-29295700-1379384972_thumb.jpg

post-3719-0-55892000-1379384984_thumb.jpg

post-3719-0-24754900-1379385022_thumb.jpg

post-3719-0-31038900-1379385097_thumb.jpg

Edited by drake1588

Hello Rick,

You've made some great progress here.

Your first planking is looking good.

The surface looks very mooth and that is a good start for the second planking.

What did you use for caulking your deck planking?

Anja

hello  Anja and thank you for the compliment.Actually I have followed your build of the Half Moon and hope I can do the second planking as neat as yours.Also the wood you used is rich looking and I don`t think I will ever get beyond basswood! Here in America there is a Mayflower 2 in Plymouth Massachusetts  on the waterfront near the pilgrim settlement called Plimoth Plantation and a replica of the Half Moon in New York at a meuseum called New Netherlands.Being a New Englander my whole life I have been on the Mayflower many times.Above you will see the spelling is different for the old plantation and the modern town.There are several paint schemes out there for both of our models. For example in my profile picture you see the Mayflower as she looks today,while the book in my build log shows another  paint scheme the Mayflower once had. I think the standard paint scheme is the way she looked when she sailed from England to America.The Half Moon also has some different paint options. I thought I would share this for the model builders that may want to make there bark a bit different.

Anja to answer your question on the caulking of the decks. Mr Chuck Passaro who prepared the instruction manual for the Model Shipways Mayflower says you can run a soft pencil down the edge of the plank (top of page 7) and again on( page 11) you can color one edge of each plank with a soft pencil. I chose to run the pencil down both edges of each plank before glueing. kind regards Rick

Hello Rick,

Never used a soft pencil myself before. I tend to use a charcoal pencil or an Indian ink pen.

The Indian ink pen was an idea I picked up from another member, Popeye.

It's great you've been on the Mayflower many times. I wish I could have been on the Half Moon.

Both ships do have different paint schemes. I will not paint the Half Moon.

You still have a way to go, but have you decided yet what paint scheme you are going to do?

Are you going for the standard paint scheme?

And now for the hull. Have you finished closing the hull yet?

If so, I wish you good luck with the second planking.

Keep up the good work, looking forward to your progress.

Anja

hello Sjors and Anja,  thank you for the conversation I enjoy sharing with you both. I have finished planking the hull and the second planking isn`t for a while. Mr Chuck Passaro in the Model Shipways manual for the Mayflower says if you are going to paint below the lower wales (page 17) and are satisfied with your work,you do not need to plank here a second time. I am not satisfied with my planking so I will be planking a second time .As far as painting the Mayflower I havn`t decided 100%. I know below the lower wales will be off white (the instructions say tallow) and above them ,the sides of the hull will be stained, The bulwarks will be painted but I am not sure what paint scheme. I have read that some say the Mayflower was just a lowly bark,not a Royal ship and that she has been over decorated!  Like some in MSW say ,it`s your model and build her as you choose. Anja you said you will not be painting your Half Moon. I respect your choice. There are models that look great natural or painted.A mixture is very nice also. In the end we will be looking at or living with the ship we built. The fullsize Half Moon in New York is very colorful. The box art on the billing boats and corel kits are quite toned down. great sharing with you both Rick.

You are making some good progress.   That was a fun project.  Dont hesitate to ask me any questions.  As far as the paint scheme goes.  I pretty much painted the prototype like the original Mayflower replica when launched.  I used her as the basis for the model kit.  I have found some pictures of the original prototype after she was painted.  Maybe they will help you...I hope you dont mind me posting them.  The original build log is long lost for the prototype.  Heres an old postcard of the voyage from the 50's or so right after the journey

Chuck

conversionfinished.gif

paintingdone.gif

paintingdone2.gif

colors.gif

thank you Mr Passaro for your kind compliment and the photos and post card. I have a copy  of the 1959 color painting of the Mayflower 2 from National Geographic Society  when she sailed from England with the same color scheme you show,also under sail.The Mayflower kit , plans and instructions are fantastic.I have no complaints or constructive criticisim. For me I need to aquire more skill and experience,but the kit is everything I could ask for. My main deck grating is not quite right but I am going with it,the bow planking even with the help of the jigs,not quite right with some klinker that I filled and sanded,when I drilled the treenails and filled them I think basswood tears a bit and the holes are not all round . thank you again I appreciate you postin the pictures,Rick. 

Hi Rick,

Just checking in on your build mate and you are making some good progress, for a first build you are doing extremely well, keep it up.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion regarding the treenails, I don't drill at all, I use a very hard lead pencil with a really sharp point, when you know where you are going to use treenails go in at a 90 degree angle and twist the pencil, the size of the treenail depends on the pressure you apply. The softer the wood the less pressure you need.

Good luck with the second planking.

mobbsie

Hi Rick

Ansaw to your question.

Their was a MAYFLOWER part owned by JOHN VASSEL outfitted in 1588 but no record off her after 1594.

Our MAYFLOWER was first recorded in the HARWICH PORT BOOKS of 1609/11 she was broken up 1624.

Another ship called the MAYFLOWER made voyages in 1629-30-33-39 and 41 in 1642 it was put as being lost

Port books dated 1603-1625 show 26 ships called MAYFLOWER

Hear endeth the lesson

Regards

Tony

Edited by tony

hello mobbsie,I missed replying to your treenail advice, It seems simple but tricky. I will practice it and give it a good try. 90 degrees would be straight in from the top? Also do you have to keep an equal presure for all the holes to be about the same and does the lead break often? Is it a hole that is black from the lead or do you fill the hole?thanks for the advice and the compliment,Rick

Don't know for sure what a very hard pencil is but I would guess that it varies with the density of the planking material, "I use a very hard lead pencil with a really sharp point". I still have a bunch of lead holders and leads from # 1 up through # 9 that I used when hand drafting before the days of Cad. Still have a lead pointer on my drafting table. You might be able to find some lead holders and different hardness leads at a college book store or place an ad for them. Old engineering or surveying firms more than likely have everything you need gathering dust in a back room, a lead pointer would be a must if you find the lead and lead holders. Haven't started a build yet but the sharp lead method for depicting tree nails is in the memory banks.

jud

hello jud,I appreciate your reply. There is a big question in my mind mostly because I havn`t done it before. The pencil idea, that is for tree nails. I was actually thinking that my drill is either tearing the basswood or the drill bit is not true. good sharing with you, Rick

Hi Rick,

The pencil idea is not a new one and a lot of builders use it. I don't know if you are using a hand drill or an electric one but there are so many factors that need to be considered when using an electric drill, speed, pressure, softness of the wood, sharpness of the drill bit. When using a hand drill you still have some of the same factors but you can control the speed and pressure better, it's a bit tedious but it is more accurate and with less damage.

The pencil wont tear the wood, it does leave an indentation but that's hardly noticeable. The pencil point will break from time to time but just keep an eye on it, I will post a picture showing my use of the pencil, I hope you don't mind.

post-493-0-48244300-1380188231_thumb.jpg

As you can see the pencil is not completely at 90 degrees but it's near enough, hope that helps.

mobbsie

hello mobbsie, I appreciate you sharing again on my build log and following up with the picture.I understand now how you do the tree nails with a pencil, it looks very neat and sharp. I will do some practice as you have shown. I will have to wait to my next build to actually treenail this way since I have already drilled and filled and I want my Mayflower to be uniform.thank you Rick.

• 2 weeks later...