Lock Down Trouble: Blackening Copper and Brass with Essential Items

I am new to ship building and have just discovered the concept of blackening my copper and brass pieces (instead of using primer and black paint and still ending up with flakes coming off with handling). I have one big problem, however, I am currently a part of the strictest Covid lockdown in the world and can't buy anything other than essentials which, unfortunately, does not include anything sold at a hardware or jewelry store or bought online. From the reading that I've done, it seems that anything short of liver of sulphur gives too variable, brownish, green and/or short lived results (boiled eggs, sulfur ointment under heat, combo of salt, ammonia and vinegar). I want it to be properly black and to stay that way. Is there any chance anyone knows of anything that would be available as an essential item(s) that would do the job? I know I'm grasping at straws here but lockdown still has 16 days to go at the very least, maybe longer...

Not likely that you'd be able to source anything that would be satisfactory given your restrictions. (I feel your pain. At least we are still able to order stuff on line here!)

You may consider that it's been reported by some very good modelers that liver of sulphur (the gel is best... it has more shelf-life) can be applied to clean parts after they have been installed on a model by simply painting it on. It does not discolor adjacent wood. They do this because the blackening will sometimes rub off a bit when handled. Blackening the part in place reduces that problem. So, you might be able to continue working and defer the blackening until you can source your liver of sulphur. 

Hello Candice,

I don't want to guess how the rules are applied in your area but gunsmiths use chemical blackening solutions as well. If anyone who is still trading overlaps that industry perhaps they can help?

It is a sad surprise to hear hardware shops are shut. Here in the UK they are deemed essential because of the cleaning materials they sell.

Good luck,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi Candice, welcome to the hobby.  Another source for your products are Jewellery Suppliers which more often than not have online services.  Most supply 'patina' products which are specific to different types of metals.  You can also try a stained glass or arts supplier, as they have patina chemicals for the lead and other metals.  I have found supplies at gunsmiths (probably shut) but some may be on line.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Candice,

Have you tried Googling for it?  I would hope there's someplace near you that could ship it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

in similar situation, I used the poor man's kit for blackening: a torch and a jar of used cooking oil. If you heat up your brass piece and dip in oil, it will be dark. Regular oil makes it dark brown, it said, used motor oil will make it black. The poor picture shows my result with cooking oil. It's not black but dark brown, which is acceptable for my purposes. I don't think it works with larger pieces but for small items may be OK.

hook.jpg.d71c3ee527d24ecb89c671d31e3bd3c9.jpg

Past builds: Prins Willem,  Amati Coca

Current Build: Occre Diana

Thanks so much for all the feedback! @Bob Cleek that is invaluable advice! I would have assumed that the wood would have been affected. Fortunately I have since managed to find an essential worker college who had some patina lying around at home! So that was a big life saver but I still took your advice and have been applying it after putting the eyelets into the deck and it's working really well! @DavidG that's super cool! Thankfully I don't have to resort to such measures after all, but I appreciate the feedback and will definitely stash that piece of info at the back of my mind in case it comes in handy later😃.

Out of interest lockdown in SA is still forging almost full force ahead😢. Unfortunately this isn't Texas so guns are FAR from essential services! And Jewelry and art supply traders will only be back in a few MONTHS time at the rate our government is going. We're finally allowed to order cellphones and computers online again but still no "non essential" deliveries allowed so no chance of shipping in anything. Hardware stores have finally opened again but are only allowed to sell goods essential for professional tradesman like Plumbers and Electricians to perform emergency repairs, so still no joy there either. So I'm hoping I don't come across anything else that requires non essential items in order to continue!

Thanks for all the help!

On 4/14/2020 at 5:36 AM, Candice said:

I am new to ship building and have just discovered the concept of blackening my copper and brass pieces (instead of using primer and black paint and still ending up with flakes coming off with handling).

Hello Candice, I have had problems with using a brass blackening agent only to have it flake off. The advice I got form some forum members here was that the brass must be rigorously cleaned in order for the blackening agent to work well. Click on the arrow in the upper, right hand corner of the link below to take you to an informative post by Bob Cardone:

I've never heard of liver of sulphur. Any chance you could post of few photos of the eyelets you blackened with it? Better yet, you could start a build log and so we could follow the progress on your model. There are many very experienced modelers here who would be happy to give you advice on any questions you might have or problems you may run into. Good luck on your build!

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Quite a few members use liver of sulphur.   The advantage is that you can brush it on, when it's black enough rise it off. It won't discolor the wood.  One of our builders who's done a few books uses it exclusively... EdT.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Mark, I'll have to give it a try. Does it blacken as well as some of the other more popular blackening solutions like Birchwood Casey Brass Black and Jax Pewter Black?

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

I really have no first hand knowledge.  Only what I've seen in some logs.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: