Bluenose by Michael Kelleher - Model Shipways - Scale 1:64 - First wood ship build

Hi...

New to the board and looking forward to sharing this log of my first build... in all honesty this technically my second build. I had started my first build (HMS Bounty by Artesania Latina) some time ago and was almost to the point where I was ready to start the rigging, but did not get a chance to complete the model due to work, family and life in general. Unfortunately when we moved the model was damaged beyond repair, so I never got the opportunity to complete the kit when I finally did get some free time... major bummer.

Anyway, this will hopefully be the first kit that I will get a chance to complete. :)

I have been lurking around on this board for a bit and spent some time reading through the Bluenose build logs that others have posted on this board, and they have been a tremendous help in helping me to understand the amount of work and potential issues that would be involved in the build. I am definitely very happy that I found this board and wanted to send thanks to all who have shared their knowledge and experience by posting their work. I will consider it a success if my finished model is a fraction as good as the builds I have seen on this site.

I will be updating this thread with updates and pictures of what I have done so far, since I had already started the build before I found this site... in the meantime all the best and see you soon...

Michael 

Edited by Michael Kelleher

Welcome aboard, you will find us a very supportive group. I have been here less than a year and very much enjoy seeing others progress unfold a step at a time. 

I have a Bluenose Schooner from Blue Jacket waiting in storage as I complete my current builds. I am looking forward to following your progress on this beautiful schooner. 

Gallery Photos of My Charles W Morgan 

Currently working on New Bedford Whale Boat

Started out by reviewing the instructions, plans and getting familiar with all the parts... spent a considerable amount of time measuring, marking up the keel and bulkheads and then measuring again... once I was sure that I had everything marked up correctly, I glued the keel together and cut the rabbet into the keel...

20200410_234802.thumb.jpg.7c5ad6fb4ce11328466d1975d34427d5.jpg

20200410_234755.thumb.jpg.bf813c63154ca042cd6f72e783606d63.jpg

20200410_234749.thumb.jpg.f9d48ec9cd4be47d0e1e63903528c35a.jpg

Before cutting the rabbets I dry fitted the bulkheads, most fit snugly and were of the proper length, but i did need to cut back a few and in a couple of cases needed to glue and shape a shim (0.5mm x 5mm) to extend the bulkhead to the rabbet... this was all done after I beveled the bulkheads as per the instructions...

20200410_135429.thumb.jpg.1def77fc25fb29436eafb81a165910ea.jpg

After gluing in the bulkheads to the keel, I added the stern block... and as luck would have it while sanding out the rough shape with a dremel, was distracted momentarily by my dogs barking and the dremel sanding drum skipped and gouged a nice little chunk out of the top of the stern block ☹️...

20200415_095958.thumb.jpg.1aeb7999b075745eb981d95980ac4fd1.jpg

patched it up with some wood filler and sanded it smooth... still requires some additional sanding to clean up the lines, which I will do after I add the struts to give it more strength, cause I do not want damage the keel which is fragile at the stern.