Rigging Diameters?

I'm thinking of enjoying social distancing by building an old plastic sailing ship model that I've been saving for such times.  It's a very old kit that you might remember, Aurora's whaling ship WANDERER (1966).  The scale is a little vague, 1:87 (HO Scale), but my measurements say it's around 1:93.  The kit has plastic molded shrouds and ratlines, but I'd like to use thread instead.  What diameter cordage should I buy to be scale?  Black shrouds?  Black standing rigging?  Tan running rigging?

Thank you.

Ishmael,

Welcome to MSW.  It would be really nice if you would post an introduction with a little about yourself in the New Members section.  

For the rigging, there would likely be many  different rope circumferences but 4 or 5 should be OK for the running and the same for the standing rigging.  There is a chart that a member made for calculating line sizes for British warships, but it should be reasonably accurate for your whaler model.  Go the search box and look for Danny Vadas rigging spread sheet.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Note that the old guys used circumference, not diameter there is a factor of 3 difference.

pre iron and steel  - bark brown (Walnut) instead of black is less garish.

diameter is easier for us -  It is easily measured by counting the number of rotations of the line - tightly packed - in a inch distance along a dowel. the diameter of the dowel does not matter

1/rotations x pi = circumference

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Bob,

I just tried to open it and have the same problem.  It opens, but does not do anything.  If I remember correctly,  unless it was edited after I alerted Dan a year or two ago, there is one caution to take, I am pretty sure  the data for 1670 to 1711 is incorrect.  The formula in Lees is good to go, but not on this spread sheet.   If I can get it to open, I will double check to see if it still a problem.   Because the issue is in the very first calculation, using  length of main mast to length, beam and depth of the ship, the error passes to every calculation that follows.  

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I just tried it and it works correctly.  Starting the process is NOT intuitive.  Go towards the bottom of the page to view the instructions.  Depending on how your Excel is configured, you may need to enable editing and formulas.  Check the top of your screen as you proceed to see if this is necessary.  Once you put in the scale, put in the pertinent dimensions  (upper deck beam length for example) and the rigging numbers are calculated for you.

Toni

Chairman Nautical Research Guild

Member Nautical Research and Model Society

Member Midwest Model Shipwrights

Current Builds:     NRG Rigging Project

Completed Builds: Longboat - 1:48 scale       HMS Atalanta-1775 - 1:48 scale       Half Hull Planking Project      Capstan Project     Swallow 1779 - 1:48 scale               Echo Cross Section   

Gallery:  Hannah - 1:36 scale.

I did finally get it to open, thanks Toni.

Bob,

Per Lees for 1670 up to 1711 on page 183  Add together the length of the keel, breadth of the ship and depth of the ship then divide the answer by 1.66.  If the beam exceeds 27 feet then deduct from the total the amount that the beam is in excess of 27 feet:  If the beam is less then 27 feet then add to the total the amount that the beam is short of 27 feet. 

From this I derived a length of the main mast formula when the beam is more than 27 feet.

A =Length of KEEL, not gun deck

B= Beam

C = Depth

Length of main mast = (A+B+C)/1.66-(B-27) as the beam is more than 27 feet for Litchfield 1695 

(107.58+34.63+13.5)/1.66 -(34.63-27) = 86.17 feet.   Using Danny's  spread sheet , the length of the main mast is only 67 feet which is much too short for a fifty gun ship.  I cannot figure out exactly what is wrong with the formula on the spread sheet, but I suspect, the 27 feet was deducted rather than the difference between the beam and 27 feet which in this case is 7.63 feet.  

If there are any math teachers or profs  in our group and they spot an error in the way I presented the formula, please do not hesitate to offer a fix.  

Allan

I thought I found Dan's spreadsheet, but it turns out it's for USS Constitution 1:96, but close in scale to the Wanderer 1:87.  The information is difficult to understand, but I think if I purchase black cord around 0.028 inches in diameter for shrouds, black cord 0.008 inches in diameter for standing rigging, and tan cord 0.008 inches in diameter for running rigging, I'll be in the ballpark.  I also looked at the parts lists for two Model Shipways kits, Flying Fish 1:96 and USS Constitution 1:76.  As near as I can tell, they both use pretty much the same cord sizes above.  Given that 1:87 is between the two models, I hope those cord sizes will get me started.

I think I like Syren Ship Model Co.'s cord.

Am I on the right track?

Ishmael, I shall call you that.

Here's one:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-rigging-and-sails.php

Another here:  http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-masts-and-yards.php

I didn't see any that were just for the Constitution.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Sorry mark didn't read your post.

Dan's spreadsheet is in the articles database at the top, then Ship Model Masts and Yards.

http://modelshipworldforum.com/ship-model-masts-and-yards.php

Took me dang!!! ages to find it.

Cheers Chris

Edited by Cabbie