HMS Neptune by Termi - Corel - Scale 1.90 - Second wooden ship build

This was quite a traveled boat, we visited France on holiday back in 1995, saw the model in a kiddies toy shop i hadn't built a model since early 60's so for 99 euro I bought it.

In 2003 we moved to live in France so still in it's box untouched it went back to France with no time because of work it didn't get started till end of 2018 when I partly retired. Mid 2019 we moved back home to the UK and back it came hull, paddle wheel and first deck in place. I finally finished it during last month.

Having not built a wooden boat before I did find it a challenge, I love working with wood but not on such a small scale. Being practical by nature and can be very patient I learnt a huge amount. The Neptune being the next build is going to be another kettle of fish I feel, have I bitten off more than I can chew? we'll see so watch this space. All tips welcome but accept I'm just a novice at 71 haha.

IMG_0017.jpg

Here we are at stage one, quite a lot of filing the slots to get the ribs to fit the keel however they seem to have fitted OK and the decks are glued down. Next to do is my first attempt at fairing.

I made the clamp stand but did find that the keel came loose after awhile, maybe the material used was too slippery however I cut two small strips of 80 grade sand paper and solved the problem. A tip if you've had the same problem. 

IMG_0029.JPG

IMG_0030.JPG

Edited by Termi

Thank you Cosmo.

Neptune even in the very early stages is proving a challenge as the build instructions are poor however I will master it. I have tried to find another person who has experience of the ship but now joy so if you hear something I would appreciate an update.

Hi Termi,

This model should turn out to be a nice representation of a late 17th century 4th rate. However HMS Neptune of this period was a 90 gun 2nd rate launched in 1683. Later sailing warships bearing this name were all 1st and 2nd rates. The name given to this model is fictitious,not unusual for European kit manufacturers back in the day.

Enjoy your build.

Dave :dancetl6:  

Hi Dave

I can only go on what is on the packet I'm afraid and i'm not saying you are wrong.

The NEPTUNE, reconstructed on the basis of original shipyard models perfectly preserved in the Greenwich Naval Museum, represents a 3rd class vessel (55/60 canons), which took part in the battle at La Hougue on 2 June 1692, where the English fleet commanded by Admiral Rooke, defeated the French fleet commanded by Admiral Tourville.

I think the build will be interesting as plans already seem to be a little off. Hey Ho

Hi Termi,

There was no ship named HMS Neptune at the battle of La Hogue in 1692. If that is what is written on the kit box it's pure fiction I'm afraid,nor was there ever a 3rd or 4th rate named Neptune. The second rate HMS Neptune was at the battle of Barfleur not La Hogue. In any case,no two ships with the same name would be serving in the Royal  Navy at the same time. I know what you mean about kit plans being "a little off". When you come to mast and rig her I recommend R.C. Andersons' 17th Century Rigging or his Rigging of Ships in the days of the Spritsail Topmast 1600 to 1720. These can usually be found online on Abe Books or Amazon,not expensive.  

Anyway,I'm just being pedantic I guess :D Enjoy your build.

Dave :dancetl6:

Coming along nicely, Termi. But it looks like the lower gunport frame fourth from the right is a little out of square. Might be worth checking. And it might also be worth making sure that they "run" in a smooth line with respect to each other, to avoid problems further down the track.

Corel's method of doing gunports seems rather strange, but if it works . . .

Steven