Fishing Cutter Tön 12 by MichaelJ - Graupner - scale 1:25

I started my Fishing Cutter Tön 12 a couple months ago. But I’ve become a member only a couple days ago so I’ll post the pics I took before that. This is a North Sea german coastal fishing cutter which are quite numerous along the german North Sea coast. Tön 12 means it’s based in the town of Tönning and registered as the 12th vessel there. It’s name is Krabbe, german for Crab. Its nets are specialized for shrimp. The models hull is made of abs I believe and the deck and deck structures are made of wood and plastic. It’s also made for RC operation but it’s not the main reason I got it. I just like the looks but I’ll install RC components nevertheless. This model kit is available since 1973 going through several revisions since. Graupner recently went out of business and I decided to build it before it disappears from the market. I will not call it Krabbe and will not designate the Tön 12 registration. Mine is based in Bremerhaven (ABh) and is the 3rd coastal fishing vessel registered there. I was researching on the internet and there are only 2 coastal fishing vessels registered in Bremerhaven hence mine #3. I still don’t know what name I’ll choose though.

Here is a photo of the kit and most of its components.

9888FAC5-F72D-4137-BE57-E768A4C22D1B.jpeg

I decided to give it a red(ish) color. I used rattle cans. (Rustoleum). The first is the primer, then the gray for the below waterline area and then the red. These pics were taken a couple weeks apart from each other because the paint had to cure. I made a mistake and didn’t let the paint completely cure and when I took of the masking tape it took part of the gray paint with it. So I had to redo it.

DBE462FB-0216-4A50-9516-8F4413D194CF.jpeg

A1383AE1-3FA8-44FC-AB8C-B191223666AB.jpeg

943B6EA4-DF49-458D-A952-D2AFA445613A.jpeg

All these boats look different from each other color wise. The only thing they all have in common is the white triangle up front so I did too. I did what I did before and marked and taped it up very carefully and then sprayed white paint onto it. Same brand one is supposed to use which I did. Unfortunately the white spray paint came up much thicker than the gray and red. So I let it cure and sanded it off for a second attempt. But just in case I bought another can with the same off white color in case the first can was bad. Same bad result even with the new can. So I sanded it off again and sprayed some white paint into a plastic cup and used it for an application with a brush. I also applied the registration which I might redo also.

4B849354-DB5B-4B14-91F7-72355FC57B95.jpeg

27688D87-5797-4172-B091-27BEAE8F9C32.jpeg

84433BAA-C368-47FC-A1E6-68EFEAB25371.jpeg

E3FCE990-5599-42B7-9ED0-3F2ACBAD5614.jpeg

44F46A4B-1B7E-45B0-8818-C48BBBBA5672.jpeg

Edited by MichaelJ
Grammar

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael, 
We have re-organized the build forums to it's easier to build logs, now it's categorized by time-era.
I found your log and saw you haven't posted anything since the painting of the hull. Just checking in and hoping to see an update.
Enjoy your summer.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry