1/350 New Jersey

Osmosis

OK I feel like I am being a traitor to all my wood loving ancestors but here goes.

I have a chance to buy a Tamiya 1/350 BB-62 A kit that I have wanted to build since I was a kid growing up in New Jersey. Someone has it listed on one of the sites for $20.00. A quick google search tells me that is an excellent deal. Being the pessimist that I am I know it is to good to be true. Is there anything I should look for as far as the completeness of the kit goes should there be anything special in the box other than a hull and some sprues full of parts. I am meeting the seller at 4 tomorrow and would like to have an idea what to look for.

Once I have the kit that's when the real challenge begins for all of you plastic scrapers. I will need lots of hand holding to get through this one.

Ok I have to go roll around in some saw dust now.

Regards

First - Traitor!!!! 😂

Now that I have that out of my system. Take a look at Scalemates. If I searched correctly this is a link to that kit and it has a download of the instruction manual that shows the parts at the end: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/tamiya-78017-us-battleship-bb-62-new-jersey--146616

I would imagine that you could do a spruce comparison and see if anything is missing.

I hope it works out for you and I’d love to follow the build. Someday, I’m going to build an A-10, I’ve always wanted to build a brilliant one (not certain if I have the skill or time yet though, but eventually I’ll join you on the dark side).

Edit: https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/1/6/146616-82-instructions.pdf

Edited by VTHokiEE
Added link to instructions

Astounding price. I built the New jersey about ten years ago, and I think I paid around $135 at the time. 

Good luck, hope it works out!

Joe Volz

Current build:

Model Shipways "Benjamin W. Latham"

Completed  builds on MSW:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

What Chris said.  Buying blind without seeing it is troublesome and that price increases the caution.  Often times, it's not what they advertised or it's missing parts.  Worst case is where it's been started and abandoned.  You might want to ask the seller some questions or even as for photos of the box contents.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the great advice. I guess I should have made it a little bit more clear. The seller is local so I will be seeing the kit before actually purchasing it. And she did send a picture of the kit contents.

20200420_170141.thumb.jpg.db8164a03f9862414ef588fbfaf49fd5.jpg

Regards

I guess I am a little different than others here. In my opinion, (For what it is worth) you can't go too far wrong for $20. There are so many ways you can make up for missing parts on this kit it is ridiculous. Between PE, 3D, and resin, and brass aftermarket you could possibly build the entire ship with little more than the hull.

Your picture does not show all that much but it does seem that at least all of the major parts are there.

Just one opinion, and not all that knowledgeable at that.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Maybe the lady is selling off an estate and may not know the value of this kit. Without a sale price sticker on the box, most won't know the value. Like Lou says, there is a lot of aftermarket items for this kit. What you save here, you'll spend on those "detail up parts". Model Monkey, Black Cat Models and others have some very nice parts.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Canute that is what I was thinking but was wondering if all of the detail up parts would be beyond my skill level seeing as how this will be my first plastic model in about 50 or so years. I am not even sure what kind of glue to use!

10 minutes ago, Osmosis said:

Canute that is what I was thinking but was wondering if all of the detail up parts would be beyond my skill level seeing as how this will be my first plastic model in about 50 or so years. I am not even sure what kind of glue to use!

Art,

It looks harder than it really is. Patience and perseverance is all it takes. With a little help from your mates, I mean building advice. But hey, what are you here at MSW for!?

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

You can make a great model right out of the box, it's a Tamiya kit after all. In fact speaking of Tamiya, their extra-thin cement is a fine choice in terms of glue. I absolutely swear by it, and it has a very thin applicator brush so it is easy to control. 

download.jpg

Joe Volz

Current build:

Caldercraft HMS "Cruizer   Caldercraft HMBV "Granado"   Model Shipways "Prince De Neufchatel"

WOW!  great buy  ;)   I have the same kit in my closet....just looking for the right time to bring 'er out.   mine has been started though........the original owner passed away.  but what he did on it looks good,  so I'll get my bearings and go from there.  judging from your picture,  it appears as though it hasn't been started.......good chance that it is intact ;)   the glue suggestion is good......I've not tried it myself,  since I'm a sworn Testors user.  you'll find that there are quite a few different glues out there devoted to plastic.......just read the labels to be sure your getting the right stuff.  one thing I'm going to do,  is download a Tamiya paint chart....their numbers are different than others,  and it will be a big help to cross reference the paint.  if you choose to use Tamiya paints,  you should be alright,  unless they've changed their numbering system,  since the production date of the kit.  other than that......your in good company here...I think most of us have dabbled in plastic before turning to wood.  if you decide to change your mind on upgrades,  I'm sure you'll get plenty of links......ModelMonkey,  Pontos, and the like :)   look'in forward to the start!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Art,

Only use it on bare plastic, once painted/primed it will mess up te paint on the seems where you've used it. It is a nice glue. Sets fast, you can put the parts together and just tip the seem, and ready. The capillary action of the glue is very nice to work with, once you have the hang of it, you glue the parts together in no time. I use for my plastic kits a number of glues. Just for plain plastic and CA mainly for the PE in the detailup sets.

If you can get the kit aty that price, could you get me one too, and ship it to Europe <lol> Just pulling your leg, but that's a bargain, even when incomplete. Detailup sets make these kits more fun, and you'll probably would have replaced the lost items with the parts from the set anyway. On the other hand, there is always the possibility of scratch building parts ... look forward to your build

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I use the Tamiya glue and like it a lot for a quick stick. It's mostly acetone, so be careful. I must have an allergy to the stuff, so I mask up. I also use Testors, for some joints, where I need a skosh of working time. Apply it with a fine wire. Some folks espouse methyl ethyl ketone. It's avilable in bulk from some big box hardware stores. Be careful if you go that route; the green label stuff doesn't work too well on polystyrene.

Bottom line, have fun and enjoy yourself. ;)

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

After seeing the box. I'd say go for it.  What the others have said applies about building it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for all the input. I have a lot to get up to speed on. I will get started by reading all of the build logs I can find. I have been following a couple in anticipation of finding a kit.

I stopped on my way home from work and picked it up. Other than a little corner damage on the box the kit appears to be complete and unstarted.20200421_165318.thumb.jpg.36c8308d39283d078cb7993c2339d9dc.jpg

Judging from the box art work this looks to be one of the original early 1980's kits. Not sure if that means anything or not.

20200421_165520.thumb.jpg.cae71e938aabd183186e90544ea685b7.jpg

Seven unopened bags of parts one hull and 2 sets of instructions. Looks good to me.

I will not be starting this for a little while. I don't think I will need to get any tools but having no idea what I might need as far as fillers paint and other plastic specific stuff I am open to any and all suggestions. Also since I got such a great deal on the kit I will most likely grab an upgrade package of some sort. It seems the Pontos kit is not readily available anywhere except amazon and it is $241.00. A bit pricey for my budget is there a source I have not found? Or is there a slightly less inclusive kit that would still give me some degree of upgrade. I would like to get what ever I need on order so I am ready to go when I am ready to go.

Thanks

Art,

In my humble opinion you really only need a good photo-etch set. When I built the kit I used this one:

http://www.goldmm.com/ships/gms3njss.htm

It's not crazy expensive and provided everything I needed. I used some aftermarket chain for the anchor chain and aftermarket decals as well.

I can't seem to find the photos from my build other than the dead links to Photobucket on this thread on another modeling site: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/172054-tamiya-battleship-uss-new-jersey-bb-62/&tab=comments#comment-1597532

Any questions as you go I'd be glad to help. 

Joe Volz

Current build:

Thanks CDW,

Wow that is one impressive build. It should provide a nice step by step guide although there are details that are way over my skills at this point. 1/10 of that would be a lofty goal for me but I will give it my best shot you can be sure of that.

I have been burning up the inter webs looking at all of the available detail up kits and found that as far as bang for the buck goes the pontos is by far the best for the money. For one sheet of photo etch from GMM they want $70.00 and there are 6 sheets in the pontos set plus all the brass and resin parts. I am counting on availability returning once the world gets semi back to "normal". What ever that winds up being.

In the meantime keep the suggestions coming.

Regards

Edited by Osmosis

Like I said before I have been keeping an eye out for the Pontos detail up kit for the New Jersey. Right now they are pretty scarce or really expensive. However the Missouri kits are readily available at a decent price. I have two questions in mind. How much difference could there be in the details? Secondly, there is an upgrade kit for the WWII Missouri, would it be possible to make this model into a WWII New Jersey using that upgrade package?

Thanks

Edited by Osmosis

19 hours ago, Osmosis said:

Secondly, there is an upgrade kit for the WWII Missouri, would it be possible to make this model into a WWII New Jersey using that upgrade package?

Thanks

Good question... you'd be basically retrofitting back in time.  Even then,  I'm not sure the Missouri and New Jersey were ever the same due to the way they changed and improved things as they built them.  I'm sure we have someone around here who could tell you, I'm just not sure who.  You might try a search here..  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I wouldn't call you a traitor, but more like a thief for only paying $20.00 for this kit hahahahaha. I would have at least given her $40.00 for it. Now if you start feeling those pangs of guilt, I will be more than happy to ease your pain. You can send me the kit.